Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod News Fallout 4 Far Harbor DLC contains quest stolen from Codexer-developed New Vegas mod

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jul 14, 2016.

1. InspectorRumpolegender: ⚧ Arbiter

InspectorRumpole
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Codexers doing God's work. Keep fighting the good fight. :hero:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Feyd Rautha or Mr.Harkonnen? Whicheverisavailablegender: ⚧ Savant Patron

Feyd Rautha or Mr.Harkonnen? Whicheverisavailable
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Skallgender: ⚧ Educated

Skall
    Parrots:
    Not acknowledging Autumn Leaves -- or any other mods for that matter -- is probably a good thing from Bethesda's legal perspective precisely due to scenarios such as this. Regardless of whether there's any links between the two, you don't want to give any credence to potential lawsuits. Plus, plausible deniability and all that.

On the bright side, this will bring a lot more attention to Chateaubryan's work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Nice comments:

• Brofist Brofist x 19
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    Chateaubryan should definitely check through to gather the evidence and consult a lawyer to see what they say.

Taking inspiration from something isn't illegal but outright copying anything certainly is. Since Bethesda content should be viewable through the construction kit go through and see if there's anything that looks fishy.

One thing is for certain through.
    EULA's like this are incredibly shaky and if there is any evidence in your favor Bethesda would probably settle with you in court rather than test their EULA's validity.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Seerixgender: ⚧ Arbiter

Seerix
    Parrots:
    Nothing like a plagiarism drama to lose all enthusiasm for a game. :) And gain some for an interesting mod.

Seriously, unless you can get some legal leverage this is just going to get curb stomped by all the free shills and apologists.

^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Azalingender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Parrots:
    :5/5:

Wish we could make something as good as this

Love :hearnoevil: &:gumpyhead:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. DosBustergender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

DosBuster
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    Idiot, my link had a time-stamp of him entering the atrium, different scene view and layout.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. DosBustergender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

DosBuster
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    Prove that I'm wrong then, come on Mr. Journalist, you know all the answers, prove me wrong.

• butthurt butthurt x 11
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. JustMyOniongender: ⚧ Educated

JustMyOnion
    Parrots:
    Nothing like "Developed by Bethesda Softworks" to lose all enthusiasm for a game

• Brofist x 8
    • Funny x 5
    • Salute x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Mozggender: ⚧ Arcane

Mozg
    Parrots:
    I wouldn't say shit about this in defense of Bethesda if we could scrape up one person on the whole damn Codex that's actually played both AL and the Brain Dead quest that could write a couple paragraphs about it. Even the modder (and never forget, this guy is a modder, with all that entails) hasn't actually played the BD quest, just watched an LP. Does that not strike anyone else as a ridiculous situation?

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Chateaubryangender: ⚧ Cipher

Chateaubryan
    Parrots:
    Well, to be honest, my only goal with the original post was to raise awareness about Autumn Leaves. Then, if enough people deemed it good enough, build a community that would support any of my future endeavours, and ultimately spend a non-negligible chunk of my miserable life writing for video games, PREFERABLY MULTI-BRANCHING RPGs. (DOCEX LOVE +++) I didn't expect the thing to take off the way it's doing right now. But hey, I started this, might as well take responsibility for a post I thought would never get further than a handful of reads.

Above all, I don't think that being lawsuit-happy will net me any kind of job in the industry. On the contrary. I'm not after a slam-dunk, I'm trying to get some more job as a quest scripter/writer, git gud at writing (let's face it, AL is nice and all, but there's room for improvement, and I'm expecting you guys to call me out on my shit) and get some heavy magnum opus going when I'm older.

STORY OF MY LIFE WOW LOVE CODEX

• Brofist x 16
    • Salute x 10
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. DosBustergender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

DosBuster
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    In that case, do you genuinely think Bethesda stole anything from your mod? You're the creator and seemingly the only person here who has played both, so settle it now, have they stolen anything or not?

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Chateaubryangender: ⚧ Cipher

Chateaubryan
    Parrots:
    Exactly. I don't know if playing BD would convince me that it has nothing to do with AL, after all, or on the contrary, comforts it even further.
    At first I didn't think that affair was worth a damn until more and more people came to tell me that BD was very reminiscent of AL.

^ Top  
  15. Chateaubryangender: ⚧ Cipher

Chateaubryan
    Parrots:
    I have my own presumptions. I made Autumn Leaves. Spent more than four years of my free time doing it. Chances are, I'm naturally biased about the whole matter.
    Maybe that's why I'm calling other people in my post to see for themselves.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Salute Salute x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    Well, the good thing is that many more people will play your mod after this whole deal.

^ Top  
  17. DeepOceangender: ⚧ Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    Guys, I just blew my mind... what if... Chateubryan makes a mod for Fallout 4 with a great story and quests, maybe Bethesda steals the whole story and Fallout 5 could be the first well written Bethesda game ever. So, Chateubryan, I think you should sacrifice yourself for the cause.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Just the fact that you're saying this speaks well of your judgement. Mozg should be a bit more charitable IMO.

^ Top  
  19. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Why is this teenager shilling so hard for Bethesda? I mean, fine, you don't think they stole anything, you say that and go on with your life. This guy is like "fight me bros, I'll defend their honor forever".

Wtf? Not really a company worth fighting for.

Unless you're a shill.

• Agree x 17
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    >""We love our mod community and would never disrespect them."
    >disrespects them

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Harg Harfardarssengender: ⚧ Cipher Patron

Harg Harfardarssen
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I don't think they have to rely on the EULA. Since their Toolset and the base game itself are copyrightable, any mods would be derivative works. In the absence of whatever limited license is granted by the EULA, releasing a mod could be considered an infringement.

^ Top  
  22. I'm With Her Metrogender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    It was probably just one lowly quest designer who played Autumn Leaves and 'borrowed' heavily from it. I doubt any of the higher ups at Bethesda had anything to do with it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    ^ Top  
  23. I'm With Her Metrogender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    What are the damages, though? Grats, you'll get a free copy of Fallout 5.

Absolutely the right approach. You raise awareness of it/promote yourself. If Bethesderp contacts you, you say 'no harm done, I'm glad someone appreciates my work' then you send them your resume! You're 100% right that suing people for petty damages will get you nowhere fast in the industry versus being cordial and willing to work with them.

In b4 someone says 'lol wut a cuck!' Better a cuck with gainful employment than a rebel with a piddly $1,000 out of court settlement.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, no real point in a lawsuit...

Unless, you can win the fallout IP and stop Bethtards from ruining it further.

• Agree x 9
    • Funny x 3
    • Salute x 3
    • Creative x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    NYMag article: http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/07/...-off-a-member-of-their-modding-community.html

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)