Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Fallout 4 Far Harbor DLC contains quest stolen from Codexer-developed New Vegas mod

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 4; Fallout: Autumn Leaves; Fallout: New Vegas

Autumn Leaves is a DLC-sized quest mod for Fallout: New Vegas developed by BaronVonChateau, who you may know on the Codex as Chateaubryan. By all accounts it's an excellent mod, taking inspiration from classics such as Planescape: Torment and proudly upholding Codexian design values such as choice & consequence and skill checks. Hell, it even has a Cleve Blakemore reference. Unfortunately, coming out only weeks before the release of Fallout 4, Autumn Leaves was overlooked by many players. Somebody at Bethesda must have noticed it, though...because it turns out they shamelessly plagiarized it for their recent Far Harbor DLC. And I don't just mean that they took inspiration. Take a look at Chateaubryan's comparison at Mod DB:

A few weeks before Fallout 4’s release, Autumn Leaves, a Fallout : New Vegas Mod was published on Moddb and the Nexus. It featured a colorful cast of excentric robots, in charge of a forgotten Vault where a strange murder happened. Sounds familiar ?

Maybe, to those who played Far Harbor’s “Brain Dead.”

First off, both quests begins with a discussion through an interphone with the caretaker of the Vault, a headwaiter robot with a rather distinguished persona. The big mandatory Vault Door opens, leaving the player up for the exploration of said vault.

The main quest itself, which consists in investigating the murder by checking the crime scene, and speaking to every robot in the Vault.

The mysterious death of the prime financier of the Vault, who - in both cases - worked alongside Vault-Tec to build the special place.

The importance of voice modulators in the plot, to distinguish the robots between themselves.

The sexytime moment.

And of course, the mandatory “Let’s discuss paintings with a robot.”

Then, there’s the Neural Interface Matrix in BD versus the Neuro Comp Matrix in AL, the presence (and relevance to the plot) of a robotic expert in the Vault, the feel of the central atrium, the quasi-exclusive robotic cast confronted to a murder, the misleading piece of evidence (Keith/Rolland), among others.​

The Codex has always talked about how Bethesda are creatively bankrupt, but this is a new low. So what can be done? Bethesda are probably legally within their rights doing this. I say they should be publicly shamed into extending credit to Chateaubryan...but that would take a louder megaphone than ours. Ultimately, all I can do is recommend that you download and play Autumn Leaves. And not Fallout 4.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finally on the front page!

This is unbelievable, Bethesda must be the laziest hacks out there. Not only did they buy the Fallout IP instead of creating their own, now they outright steal from modders!

M0RBUS

Augur
While Bethesda is doing nothing illegal, I must say even I am surprised by this.
What the actual hell.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Gonna definitely take a look over the Codexian mod now that I got hooked on New Vegas.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Well, whatever you make with their Toolset/GECK is already owned by Bethesda so you're shit out of luck as a modder. :shittydog:

DraQ

Arcane
Did Obsidian ever give credit to the guy who made Primary Needs mod for Fallout 3 which they incorporated into Fallout New Vegas or was it just Complete Coincidence™?
Mechanics is not content.

There is small range of possible mechanics hitting particular mark and the basic ideas underneath them tend to be obvious.
OTOH content is the creative part.

Mozg

Arcane
I really value that youtuber that pronounces atrium "atrooom" reading text from some other website he found and putting the screenshots from that website next to each other while he mumbles over them

Ya'll making me feel like 2015 Atticus Finch advocating for Bethesda here

I regret having played Autumn Leaves unlike 99.9% of the people talking about this. I wouldn't have this burden of insight otherwise.

Last edited:

Kron

Arcane
Wow, this is pathetic and shameless. Bethesda needs to be publicly shamed for this.

Are they so incompetent that they thought no one would notice? Or do they really care that little to not even bother being called plagiarists?

Trotsky

Arcane
As a blogger it's common to see your work "borrowed" elsewhere. The pros are creatively bankrupt and can't innovate anymore but are you in it for the revolution or to make a name for yourself? There is a reason monuments like the tomb of the unknown soldier exist. I think it would be better if big name developers copied good ideas more often.

Kron

Arcane
One thing is being inspired by other people's ideas, borrowing concepts and adapting them to a different setting/world. This is pretty common and a natural part of the world of fiction.
Recreating a mod of a previous game in your franchise, even to the particular characters, situations and plot is just fucking lazy and too obvious.

Happens when you make a nigga lead designer.
You mean that Big Kahuna Burger William Shen? That wasn't a nigger you blind fuck.
rating_racist.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom