Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout 3: Van Buren (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Van Buren: A Fallout Adventure' started by hexer, Dec 7, 2013.

1. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 29
    ^ Top  
  2. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    :thumbsup:

How much of VanBuren plot you guys have access to?

^ Top  
  3. m_s0 Arcane

m_s0
    Parrots:
    I'm guessing they're using the design docs that were made public.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Interesting. Good luck.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Bitcher1 Arbiter

Bitcher1
    Parrots:
    I don't think Fallout engine can facilitate all the stuff there was in the docs. The Hoover Dam especially would be damn hard to render properly. But I don't suppose you'll going for a complete conversion anyway. Good luck, though I seem to remember someone had that idea before.

^ Top  
  6. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Parrots:
    Dont forget to post your progress on NMA-fallout forum so that bunch can bug you more.

^ Top  
  7. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Parrots:
    Only the info that has been released publicly via design documents, Van buren tech demo, and interviews.

We'll do the complete conversion. No one wants it any other way.
    Of course.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Untermensch Savant

Untermensch
    Parrots:
    Sretno :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Bro, if you're not, USE THE FONLINE ENGINE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

The Fallout engine is ASS to work with. Also it is much easier to add new stuff to FOnline engine.
    Also it allows you to use 3D models rather than sprites, making it easier to put in new, different character models and possibly even making them more customisable. You could ask CrazyLoon and Surf Solar about it.

If you need a writer I could help. I have been reading the Van Buren design docs a lot lately, in order to design the Van Buren's nations and tribes and peoples and put them on the FODD Darkest Hour Mod.

One possible suggestion is that you might want to add some extra quests, characters and quest twists in order for people not to use the design docs like walkthroughs.

Which version of New Canaan/Jericho you are going to add? I prefer the one with New Canaan still existing, having a refugee crisis, Jeremiah Rigdon, Powder Ganger attack, etc. Jericho seems boring.

Are you going to add ALL locations or exclude the cut ones (Circle Junction, The Crater, Moletown)?

Only good thing about working with FO2 is that you will be able to do stuff with SFall, like Jim's Mods.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  10. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Parrots:
    Don't worry, I'm very familiar with Fallout 2 modding. I'll check out the new FOnline Reloaded engine, of course.
    If it's better and I can do everything that I need to do, I'll switch over.

Yes, writers are always welcome to breathe life into the characters. When you find the time, PM me and we'll give you a location you can write dialog for.

As you can see here ( http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/fallout-2-cc-my-expansion-pack.87979/ ) , I have lots of custom content already made. The current plan is to finish Van Buren and release that extra content as an expansion pack. It would be a real shame to see it go to waste.

New Canaan, Circle Junction, The Crater and Moletown are all in :)

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    FOnline has, amongst some cool things:

- You can change skills and their effects, and create new ones. FOnline 2, for example, has Unarmed + Melee fused into Close Combat, and a skill called Scavenging that does exactly what you think. (it helps you to, uh, scavenge)
    - Turn-based support.
    - It seems more flexibile in general.
    - Easier for you to alter visuals, see What Remains' and Tangut Prophecy's marvelous looks.
    - 3D characters rather than those painful sprites
    - A nice ready-made crafting and repair system for your post-apocalyptic needs. Van Buren was clearly going to have a lot of fun with this, especially for SCIENCE! characters.
    - With a few modifications, somebody could make a VAN BUREN ONLINE or port it to one of the FOnline servers (if you want, that is). Seems like a nice way of exposing your work.
    - Better vehicle support (so it seems easier for you to put extra vehicles in).
    - It might help in implating that Denver mini-world map.
    - Also, the 3D "sprites" help you in putting a big-ass robot (Fallout Tactics' Behemoth?) to represent ARGOS.

That's what I remember. Surf and Crazyloon know it much better than me, through.

Sure, I will! Gotta wait some time through, I'm kind of busy with university work.

Ins't that content on the seabord, through?

Are you going to expand the map or put that stuff inside the default Van Buren map? The area is quite big, if a bit desolate.

BTW, one thing you gotta mind, is that Van Buren seems to have been planned to be less linear than the original Fallouts. Fallout was usually done in Shady Shands >>> Vault 15 >>> Shady Sands Again >>> Raiders >>> Junktown >>> The Hub >>> Necropolis >>> Vault 13 again >>> Boneyard, with the Brotherhood of Steel and The Glow being the main optional but juicy content.

Fallout 2 was done in this order:
    Arroyo >>> Klamath Falls >>> Den >>> Modoc >>> Vault City >>> Gecko >>> Redding >>> Broken Hills/New Reno >>> NCR >>> Vault 13 >>> Arroyo.

In 1, the game and the map sends you straight down south with some intermissions north, east and west, mainly end-game or BOS/Glow exploration. Cities are pratically straight lines to each other.
    In 2, you're going east 'til you hit the end of the map, then you usually get back West and go south again, sometimes going back north and the Coast is barely visited.

Van Buren, on the other hand, seems to be quite nicely non-linear - You don't seem to get any guidance to any place, and the Prison is smack-dab in the middle. The game is also divided in three acts (Act 1 - Get out of prison, flee and find out what's up. Act 2 - Get all the prisioners back and Act 3 Is going through the gameworld to get all the necessary things to finally get to the Endgame). Me likey.

This is important for balance, I think, so you may want to mind that.

Ins't Moletown like prototype Bombay Jack? Bombay seems to have a better reason, too, the guy in Moletown just seems to be there.

Crater seems to be pretty shortly described - They didn't say much that I remember about it besides it being a source of glowing ghouls and radiactive as fuck. Did they plan a Glow-like style dungeon crawl through the ultra-irradiated remains of Cheyenne Mountain? Seems helluva cool. Since it was nearby, what about a Fallout Tactics reference? *You see: A dead soldier in strange, and quite horribly looking Power Armor with a different Brotherhood of Steel insignia*

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Yoshiyyahu Arcane Patron

Yoshiyyahu
    Parrots:
    :salute: Good luck sir.

^ Top  
  13. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Parrots:
    Thanks to everyone wishing us well! :bro:

I'm checking out FOnline right now. I like how I can easily implement new features from Van Buren.

I was planning on expanding the map.

I wouldn't say that that original Fallouts were more linear, but that their locations were revealed in such a manner that you were always left with only one new option to travel to. So it was almost always: "I got a new location on the map. I can either go there or I can explore on my own." Obviously, most players didn't explore on their own. In the end, how much of the new locations will we reveal on the map precisely or just point the player in their general direction (e.g. South-East) is up to us. Personally, I'm leaning more to the latter.

I planned on using Moletown as a sort of a tutorial area and a training area for Bombay Jack later (Moletown would be easy but Bombay Jack would be tough. Experience you got from Moletown would save your life later).

LOL

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Rake Arcane

Rake
    Parrots:
    :salute::bounce:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. JohnTheRevelator Arcane

JohnTheRevelator
    Parrots:
    Oh man. This sounds too good.

^ Top  
  16. BGMD Learned

BGMD
    Parrots:
    Good luck, zemljak! :salute:

^ Top  
  17. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Parrots:
    This weekend was productive! Maxson Bunker and Ciphers (Mesa Verde) maps are finished, Tibbets' maps are 75% finished.
    Ciphers location is a beast, there will be lots of new art created for it. (I'll post screenshots later, once that new art is in place.)

Next on the horizon are Tibbets and the Twin Mothers.

:salute:

Greetings from inside the Maxson Bunker

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Tzaero DEPARTED Patron

Tzaero
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    :hero:

^ Top  
  19. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Hook me up if you need any new sceneries or tiles, hexer - I've created a lot of them before I switched to more elaborate non-tiled graphics for my game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Kamoho Learned

Kamoho
    Parrots:

Gushing aside, I wouldn't mind making a contribution as a writer if you still need some.

^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Parrots:
    Posting in here so I'll get alerts. I wonder if shihonage has seen this?

^ Top  
  22. shihonage You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Looks good.

But, like others here, I believe that in order to ever be completed, this project has to migrate to FOnline engine. If it doesn't, it will forever remain "an enthusiastic beginning", a relic from your youth that you will one way dust off and show to your grandchildren, wondering what could've been.

Your grandchildren will ask why it's not holographic, and then you'll try to explain it to them but they'll slide away on their hoverboards, cackling at the old man and his antiquated level editor, and a tear will slowly roll down the scar on your cheek that you got during the Great Invasion.

You'll look down the ring on your finger and wonder why you're still wearing it after the 5 divorces. Nothing has ever gone right ever since you tried to take Fallout engine beyond its limits. Your ambition always got ahead of you, and you refused to learn the lesson.

Suddenly it catches the corner of your eye - your senior friend is motioning for you to come over.

You completely forgot. It's bingo night.

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    ^ Top  
  23. hexer Arcane

hexer
    Parrots:
    Haha shihonage , you're a funny guy :)

Regarding FOnline engine, at the moment I'm only testing it and haven't decided to switch over.
    Maybe you can help with my doubts and answer these questions. You seem to work with it since the start...

- I have Win XP and FOnline tools work only on Vista or newer Windows. I don't have the means to get a better computer. Since I'm the main developer, this is a BIG issue.
    - I can't read russian and most of the documentation is written in russian language.
    - Ambiental lighting is nice but makes the art look washed out. Can I prevent this?
    - The game runs slowly (but this could be because of my old laptop with Win XP)
    - GUI sometimes behaves strangely - I press ESC and the game quits immediately, there's no prompt window.
    - Options screen isn't implemented yet. Can I implement it myself?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. shihonage You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Are we talking about the same project?

Shouldn't you be able to somehow change the source code to make it run on XP?

I don't have close contact with the engine, but I believe ambient effects are optional.

The general idea here is - you don't have Fallout 1/2 source code and the games are a terror to mod. I've read the post-mortem of Fan-Made Fallout project, and it went into a lot of detail about hardcoded garbage in Fallout 2 they had to dance around.

Mutants Rising, the ambitious Fallout campaign mod, has been in development for over a decade now? And they didn't even have to write their own engine...

FOnline may be a mess, but it does have source code and therefore can grow. It also takes Fallout 1/2 graphics assets so you don't have to make your own.

I think Surf Solar et al may answer in more detail about FOnline.

EDIT: except he's apparently depressed and ignores PMs now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)