Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout 3 - that's some funny violence!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
L0L ME is being ripped off, and being used as a compairson and it's not even out yet. HAHAA!

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
The Radiant AI system that powered the NPCs roaming Oblivion’s sprawling terrain has been tuned up for Fallout 3 as well. Fallout 3 is a ‘very character driven story’ and with a relatively small group of NPCs, 140 as opposed to Oblivion’s thousands, it will be up to this small group of survivors to carry the storyline. Their improved ability to simulate daily routine in their interactions with other NPCs will serve to create the illusion that this sparsely populated wasteland is…um…populated? Yeah.

Huh?

I didn't come close to finishing the action packed adventure game that it was. But Todd's comment of Oblivion having thousands of NPCs.... well left me baffled. I remember maybe a hundred different NPCs (I am stretching here I know) and hundreds of the same multiple personality NPCs chatting about Mudcrabs and such. I guess he played a different version... maybe the developers cut?

Back to the preview... most of the comments were stupid to some degree or another. They range from mildly retarded to full blow mental patient whacked. I was left wondering how many drinks he (both Todd & the author of the piece) had already downed before the interview began... since it was mentioned Pete had a Crown & Coke. And if the curse words and booze were both flowing... one could assume there may also have been other drugs as well. Maybe that explains why many of the quotes sound like they are coming from somebody who is a can or two short of a six pack?

I can't wait to start playing F3 as a one year old crawling around in Vault 101 making decisions that will shape my character for years (and hours of gaming nirvana) to come.
That will surely follow/begin when I finally reach age nineteen and leave da vault. And knowing now that there are twelve or thirteen different endings has just blown my mind. Oh, the roll playing possibilities are endless.

I'm just sad they didn't bring the demo to E3 this year. :cry:

And one last thing. If they are going for a real living and breathing world why didn't they think about the little things. Like why would a power pole (most likely made of wood)
still be standing two hundred years after a nuclear war? For the love of God Todd/Pete think about the small things. How are we to stay immersed in the game-world? If I am launching a mini nuke or making my own missile/bomb from barbie heads, records, and/or bottle-caps... I don't want to lose that immersion when I see a power pole still erect after two hundred years of wasteland. WTF?

psycojester

Arbiter
I think i can explain this one. Every one of those cookie cutter bandits that auto-attacks you in the wilderness is an NPC.

In fallout they won't be counting Super-mute-orcs as NPCS, as fans of fallout Bethesda knows that Super-mutants have never done anything other than mindlessly attack everything on sight.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
My God man, you're right. Todd is a genius. All those re-spawning lifeless glass armor wearing bandits... they were actually NPCs that made the world seem so alive. I remember it now... there were a couple moments when I almost thought I was playing an RPG. Thx for the memories. :roll:

LoL, I love being sarcastic. Forgive me... or not.

Koby

Scholar
Todd Howard said:
They’ve got dip switches for violence – all this crazy sh—t.

Violence – people forget but Fallout was one of those first games where [people said], ‘Hey, look at the violence’….(the journalists chuckle) Hey, Violence is funny – lets all just own up to it! Violence done well is f---ing hilarious. It’s like Itchy and Scratchy or Jackass –now that’s funny!

Destruction is the new trees.

...Now that’s some funny violence!
Fallout3 isn't oblivion with guns, it’s a violent oblivion with guns.

Fallout3 - Violence for the whole family.

How old is he, 16?

AZ

Liturgist
DarkPhantom said:
One of the biggest concerns the team repeatedly heard from the community revolved around the use of weapons in an RPG – more succinctly – will elements like Action Points and Targeted Shots be making a return from the original?

So many years thinking what RPG meant...it seems Roller Propelled Grenades was the most accurate guess.

Wicked!

Please choose a new avatar. I own this.

Shannow

Waster of Time
gc051360 said:
Why do all of these previews....try and dismiss those arguing for a Fallout 3 to play similar to the originals....but then, in previews of Starcraft 2...they praise it for staying the same. Is Starcraft's gameplay timeless..where Fallout's is a relic of the past? I don't get it.
TB is so last millenium. We now have computers powerful enough to play in "real time" (with crappy pseudo pause). It's like Starcraft was always real time and stuff. So it doesn't have to be updated. In fact, Starcraft was a game from the future, sent to the past so that everyone would buy Starcraft 2 and know how much better real time is for FPS.

If you find sarcasm or bitterness in this post, keep it.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
As an example Todd shows off the ‘Rock-It’ launcher – one of the weapons you can build yourself which shoots rocks and other items found throughout the game. <b>Not sure what to do with it? Try firing off some records or scissors at an incoming mutant</b>!

Wait, let me get this straight. They said that a mutant wouldn't go down after a hit with the fat man, so what good would it do to throw rocks and scissors at it?

FO3 is all flash with no substance. If nowadays people prefer flash over substance what does it say about them?

fastpunk said:
Vault Dweller said:
As an example Todd shows off the ‘Rock-It’ launcher – one of the weapons you can build yourself which shoots rocks and other items found throughout the game. <b>Not sure what to do with it? Try firing off some records or scissors at an incoming mutant</b>!

Wait, let me get this straight. They said that a mutant wouldn't go down after a hit with the fat man, so what good would it do to throw rocks and scissors at it?

FO3 is all flash with no substance. If nowadays people prefer flash over substance what does it say about them?
Flash is the new substance!

Shannow

Waster of Time
fastpunk said:
Vault Dweller said:

One mutant in a boss fight (the behemoth?) didn't go down after a hit from the fatman. "Normal" muties might be a little less tough.
*runswithscissors*

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
LONG LIVE THE NEW FLASH!

This is retarded.

PS ATM I'm trying to replay NWN2 but the script and the characters are goddamn stupid and naive.... I can't belive the same people created FO and PS:T and this turd...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I can't belive the same people created FO and PS:T and this turd..."

They didn't. A divisionn of Interplay known as Black Isle ceated PST. A relatively new company known as Obsidian created NWN2.

Get over it.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"I can't belive the same people created FO and PS:T and this turd..."

They didn't. A divisionn of Interplay known as Black Isle ceated PST. A relatively new company known as Obsidian created NWN2.

Get over it.

Yes they did. The heads of Black Isle Studios were the ones who formed Obsidian Entertainment.

Anyway, give 'em a break, they had a lot of work to do with NWN2. To update a seriously outdated engine, create a game with a long single player campaign, remake the tools and work on the multiplayer too in just a little over a year is quite the fuckin' job! No wonder it feels unpolished.

roshan

Arcane
bozia2012 said:
LONG LIVE THE NEW FLASH!

This is retarded.

PS ATM I'm trying to replay NWN2 but the script and the characters are goddamn stupid and naive.... I can't belive the same people created FO and PS:T and this turd...

NWN2 is a piece of shit.

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
give them a break

Fuck that! I have been giving them a break for the last two games. If their next release (an Aliens RPG) isn't shiny as a Bethesda turd with the story and game-play of one of their pre-Obsidian releases they need to just pack it fucking in. Close shop. Because I've heard the time constraints shit far too much when it comes to Obsidian. I know they have the capability to make a great old school game with today's flash but they seem to like working for somebody else... who is calling all the shots and setting the dead-lines.

I still have a small soft spot in this cold hard heart of mine for the people who made great games in the past. Everybody loves to see a come-back. So if Sega gives them the time, their Aliens RPG is good, and Project Georgia actually kicks ass. Maybe we can stop talking about if they only had enough time to finish/make the game they wanted the way they wanted it to be. :wink:

Bradylama

Arcane
Basically the story and how your choices affect its tone.

Having the gameworld base itself on the premise that Revan chose the darkside path was great.

It wasn't perfect, but I mean. What else is there? :(

Bradylama said:
Basically the story and how your choices affect its tone.

It wasn't as good as Planescape....but I liked it for the most part. Beats the generic "Durrr Sith bad!" type of Star Wars thing.

Having the gameworld base itself on the premise that Revan chose the darkside path was great.

Really? Because I thought one of the coolest things was how you could choose whether Revan was male/female and light/dark and have it make a pretty big impact on the story. That's some decent scripting right there.

It wasn't perfect, but I mean. What else is there? :(

Not much.

Bradylama

Arcane
Really? Because I thought one of the coolest things was how you could choose whether Revan was male/female and light/dark and have it make a pretty big impact on the story. That's some decent scripting right there.

Isn't that basically what I said?

fastpunk

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
What makes it so great?

Seeing Kreia's plan unfold was the main thing for me. It was quite intricate and interesting. It was also nice to have Kreia question the Exile's actions (good or bad) every once in a while. It didn't encourage being totally good or totally bad because you'd always get a counter-reaction from one of the party members (usually Kreia, but not only her). Hell, Kreia is half the reason why the story was great.

I also liked how some of the characters were reminiscent of Planescape: Torment's characters but without being a rip off (the Exile and TNO have quite a few things in common, so do Atton and Morte, specially in terms of personality etc etc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom