Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 reviewed!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45443

I'm going to take the sting out of this review right now. Fallout 3 IS "Oblivion with guns".
Because in Fallout 3 I get almost everything served directly. Bethesda have tried to squeeze in as much as possible on area as small as possible. Substance enough for a lifetime in short-movie format, if you want to. And the result is an anticlimax, too much of the good in too short time. One minute I'm running into a nest of rad-scorpions, while there is a peaceful camp of settlers 30 meters away. Some slavers are walking around with their slaves just around the corner and some raiders just settled down a bit farther away. A quick jog and I'm a nest of deathclaws. It's compressed, maximized and anonymized at the same time. It feels like a enormous orgy where nobody wants to fire away. There's tight and crowded, but no friction nor excitement.
They sure know how to make exciting games, don't they?

Edit:

gnomessk9.png

A gnome? They really nailed the Fallout style.

MisterStone

Arcane
Hmm, sounds good. What are the chances of a US magazine printing a review like this? I am going to try to relearn German to a passable level or something in order to get reliable info about games from now on...

Small and a few big flaws equals 81% plus the claustrophobia? That just doesn't seem fun, not even in a bethesda hate kind of way, just in a "seriously this stuff is right next to each other yet has no effect?" kind of way. Especially since if there was a deathclaw cave or whatever right near a raider camp....the raiders would choose a new place to camp. No one would set themselves up near deathclaws. That's just insane in a logic sense.

Vault Dweller

Developer
sportforredneck said:
Especially since if there was a deathclaw cave or whatever right near a raider camp....the raiders would choose a new place to camp.
Didn't you pay attention? They can't because they have slavers to the left and zombies to the right and some settlement over here and a town over there. That's the real tragedy of a post-apocalyptic world - it's overcrowded.

uhjghvt

Scholar
it's such an odd mistake to make, overcrowding the wasteland. previous bethesda games have had all kind of problems but they were all far from being crowded. and it makes less sense for FO3 to be overcrowded than any of the TES games really. it's as if each new game they make has to inherit all of the flaws of its predecessors so they make new ones to overshadow them

Vault Dweller

Developer
uhjghvt said:
it's such an odd mistake to make, overcrowding the wasteland. previous bethesda games have had all kind of problems but they were all far from being crowded.
Oblivion was pretty overcrowded. Ruins, forts, dungeons, gates were everywhere. Since Fallout 3 is smaller I can easily believe that you can't take a step without running into something or someone.

Kogorn

Novice
As one poster on the No Mutants forum said after the review was posted, I would have no problem with this if npcs' close proximity for one another mattered. If the raiders got killed by deathclaws or the slavers kidnapped them, or w/e, it would show a world of interaction.

If that's NOT the case however, than the reviewer is right, it's claustrophobic, and the game isn't really going to make much sense.

As interesting as this review was, I'm skeptical that the version of FO3 this reviewer had was the final version...however, with less than a month away from release, I can see it being so.

The reviewer didn't comment on or directly criticize the leveling system though, which could mean either that he lumped it into the "Oblivion with guns statement" or that FO3's leveling system is, in fact, an improvement.

uhjghvt

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Oblivion was pretty overcrowded. Ruins, forts, dungeons, gates were everywhere.
the obnoxious oblivion gates could make it crowded some times, other than that it was pretty spread out (although there was a denser ring right around the lake around the imperial city)

Kogorn said:
As one poster on the No Mutants forum said after the review was posted, I would have no problem with this if npcs' close proximity for one another mattered. If the raiders got killed by deathclaws or the slavers kidnapped them, or w/e, it would show a world of interaction.
I really disagree, if mobs are going to interact that's fine but it should be based on them seeking each other out due to AI or at least scripting... not just because they are aggro to each other and in proximity, that's stupid

Vidken

Novice
Oh, the gnome meme is icing on the cake.

Let me guess: The game rewards you somehow for carrying it across the map. :roll:

mahdi

Liturgist
The score doesn't match the complaints. How could anyone who has played the first two rate this dreck at 81%?
VD, your review can't come soon enough.

DemonKing

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
That's the real tragedy of a post-apocalyptic world - it's overcrowded.

LOL - Well - it would make sense if the apocalypse caused everyone to mutate rather than die outright I guess...

However the Oblivion with Guns comment was a killer for me...and I'm not even a huge fan of the original Fallouts having only finished them once each and not worn out either CD...

Amateur

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
sportforredneck said:
Especially since if there was a deathclaw cave or whatever right near a raider camp....the raiders would choose a new place to camp.
Didn't you pay attention? They can't because they have slavers to the left and zombies to the right and some settlement over here and a town over there. That's the real tragedy of a post-apocalyptic world - it's overcrowded.

:P So that's the real reason for sending you to exile in Fallout 1, Vault was becoming overcrowded...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
On the bright side, if all these groups are so close together, making good use of Bethesda's excellent RAI you can probably start a little war between them.

Coming this fall on YouTube.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Didn't you pay attention? They can't because they have slavers to the left and zombies to the right and some settlement over here and a town over there. That's the real tragedy of a post-apocalyptic world - it's overcrowded."

R00fles!

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
mahdi said:
The score doesn't match the complaints. How could anyone who has played the first two rate this dreck at 81%?
VD, your review can't come soon enough.

He obviously tried to judge the game on its own merits. Ignore the fact it's called Fallout 3 and you might find it relatively enjoyable to play - who would be stupid enough to do take that kind of approach is beyond me, though.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
+1 on the compression and silver plate thing. I already saw that problem with Stalker (ok not a RPG). The best free roaming ever I had with OFP (ok completely different genre), where you could walk drive / often vast distance, without meeting or being attacked by anything, like in real life.

I always hoped for someone to do a Morrowind mod, strip all content except landmass, add animals, some well hidden ruins, caves and treasures and then some cannibals, and call it "Abandoned Island". That would be fun, live in a shed, walk around long distances, hunt and look for something valuable. Provided the game made things really hard to find and not present everything on a silver plate.

Would work very well for post-apoc, think of something akin to the beginning in "Earth Abides", survivors roaming huge areas, breaking into shops, while nature the gets more and more hostile.

Data4

Arcane
GlobalExplorer said:
I always hoped for someone to do a Morrowind mod, strip all content except landmass, add animals, some well hidden ruins, caves and treasures and then some cannibals, and call it "Abandoned Island". That would be fun, live in a shed, walk around long distances, hunt and look for something valuable.

Early in Oblivion's development, when the first details about the construction set were revealed, I thought the potential for doing something like that would be great. Generate serious square mileage of wilderness, and hide ruins deep in the jungles, South American/Raiders of the Lost Ark style. Even if the game sucked, it seemed like the potential for new worlds like those two German mods for Morrowind could be made, bigger and better.

Instead, here we are, years after release, and the only things the modders keep churning out is Assasin's Creed armor, chain male bikinis, moar detailed tits, and goofy-ass chick houses, complete with bathtubs and colorful shrubbery.

Zomg

Arbiter
If you watch the level of gamestuff density increasing from Daggerfall to Morrowind to Oblivion to Fallout 3, you can only conclude that Beth's next game will be a point mass of random polygons and textures.

Radisshu

Prophet
When reading the review it sounds more like it's going to get something like 65 or 70%, and then it gets 81? Wtf. Jävla CPn.

EDIT: FUCK YOU BETHESDAAAAAAAA

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom