Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout 3 PC Powerplay preview

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Ladonna, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Ladonna Prophet

Ladonna
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Its long. I'm off sick. So think yourselves lucky...Anyway,

This Preview is from the Australian PC games magazine 'PC Powerplay' September 2007. The preview was written by Anthony Fordham. All spelling mistakes, except for a couple I actually corrected :wink: are mine.

^ Top  
  2. Woetohice Scholar

Woetohice
    Parrots:
  3. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    Parrots:
    What? Deus Ex wasn't exactly the paragon of options in role-playing....

And because it pretty much let's you lift all the combat mechanics from Morrowind while adding in VATS....something a modder could easily do. Not to mention it makes total sense to stick any amount of twitch into a game that "shouldn't reward it" especially in a series that never had it.

That says a lot.

Thanks for the transcript. That sure was a rather nice thing for you to do....I suppose. I'd think it's a bit more masochistic, but that's me. And hopefully you feel better soon. Sickness just plain sucks.

^ Top  
  4. Ladonna Prophet

Ladonna
    Parrots:
    Thanks,

I will do the boxouts now.

Again, all by Anthony Fordham of PC Powerplay magazine (The Australian one).

^ Top  
  5. franc kaos Liturgist

franc kaos
    Parrots:
    If everything they say comes true, and they don't cut bits like they did from Oblivion, this game is gonna rock!

3D is much more tactile (for want of a better word and IM very HO), than iso, and if the CS is included, some clever gamer will create a real tun base out of the VATs fighting system.

Delete the mini nukes and launchers.
    Have cars that can be used if their power source still works.

Of course, if most of it's hyperbole then there's always Crysis for our RPG fix [/joke].

^ Top  
  6. psycojester Arbiter

psycojester
    Parrots:
    Wow, image if somebody did something crazy, like having a camera that wasn't in first person. It'd be a totally cool and revolutionary in an RPG!

^ Top  
  7. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Parrots:
    What.the.fuck? :?

^ Top  
  8. burrie Scholar

burrie
    Parrots:
    Typo, methinks. You prolly need to swap the two games.

It's odd... at times, some of the ideas sound good and all, even promising, but then they bring out the mini-nukes, launchers and portable phone booths. Really curious to see where this is all going.

^ Top  
  9. Longshanks Augur

Longshanks
    Parrots:
    Certainly got Todd to mention C&C more often than any other preview I've seen.

Wish he'd focused more on the problem of player skill dominating character skill with FPP+RTC, rather than the merits of moving to cutting edge 3D graphics, this was never in major dispute.

Not much (any?) mention of dialogue. Would like to know if there will be any major variations in options based on stats/skills, seeing as there won't be based on intelligence (think it has been mentioned there will be some variation based on charisma).

^ Top  
  10. Ladonna Prophet

Ladonna
    Parrots:
    Well, apparently the previewer had a heck of a time getting anything from Todd, and when he finally snagged a phone interview, Todd was somewhat hostile towards the questions he was asking. Thats what Fordham said on the Powerplay forums anyway.

^ Top  
  11. Briosafreak Augur

Briosafreak
    Parrots:
    Link to the forum posts please? And I hope you get better soon :wink:

^ Top  
  12. don_tomaso Liturgist

don_tomaso
    Parrots:
    "Howard goes on. "Even in some situations you might encounter a moderately challenging enemy, but the decision is this: do I spend my points now to make this a really easy encounter, or do I save the points because I don't know if there might be a bigger group of enemies around the corner?""

The problem with this so called choice is that it is fundamentaly flawed, because of them APs reloading over a short period of time.. So the choice isn't really what howard sais, but more like
    "do I spend my points now to make this a really easy encounter, or do I save the points because I don't feel like standing here, waiting for them to recharge?"

In real TB however, you have to make that choice EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PULL THE TRIGGER!!

:)

^ Top  
  13. Ladonna Prophet

Ladonna
    Parrots:
    You need to be a member at PC Powerplay Briosafreak.

Not sure if you can join up or not, but you cannot view the forums unless you are a member.

^ Top  
  14. Briosafreak Augur

Briosafreak
    Parrots:
    I will, thanks.

^ Top  
  15. JrK Cipher

JrK
    Parrots:
    Is it me or are they trying to snoop in more "choices & consequences" with every new preview? Looks like they do keep up with our demands... (though maybe not in actually implementing them...)

^ Top  
  16. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic. Dumbfuck

DarkUnderlord
    Parrots:
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    ... and yet they didn't hire Tim Cain and company. WELL THAT MAKES SENSE.

^ Top  
  17. Ladonna Prophet

Ladonna
    Parrots:
    Well, I and especially some other Aussies have ranted on about this kind of thing at the PCPP forums (One guy until they virtually hate his guts). Maybe the guys on the mag asked Todd and he picked it up and ran with it?

Anyway, I know that there are at least a few lurkers from Powerplay sneaking around here. Isn't that right PipBoy? Stormcrow? Sapper? :lol:

^ Top  
  18. Lyric Suite Arcane

Lyric Suite
    Parrots:
    I have a feeling C&C is going to be the new buzz word for next generation rpgs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. The_Pope Scholar

The_Pope
    Parrots:
    I guess lifting buzz words from the codex shows that someone in Bethesda knows what irony is.

Can't wait for the fanboys to go deriding oblivion because you could be head of every guild, unlike the new, next gen choice & consequence Fallout 3. If you blow up megaton with a nuclear bomb, you can't get quests there!!!

^ Top  
  20. spacemoose Erudite

spacemoose
    Parrots:
    man do I not like marketers or what

^ Top  
  21. Woetohice Scholar

Woetohice
    Parrots:
  22. RGE Liturgist

RGE
    Parrots:
    Until now I didn't figure that APs would regenerate that slowly. Unless there's a way to speed up time, you may get really bored standing there waiting, and move along anyway. And even if there is a way to speed up time, perhaps time will be of the essence, unlike in most other CRPGs?

Perhaps "VATS, retreat, VATS, retreat"-combat will instead be "fight, save, fight, save, die, reload, VATS, save, fight save"-gameplay? I don't really like having to often make decisions based on "wonder what the assholes will throw at me next". I usually just prepare for generic opposition, which means that in D&D my wizards almost always memorize the same spells that work well. In FO3 I'd probably just never use VATS unless I knew that it'd be necessary, or that I definitely wouldn't need the APs for as long as it takes to regain them. And I'd always keep a recent save with full VATS, unless they do recharge in a reasonable time. Oh well, at least that'd make the regular gameplay more like Deus Ex, which might be just as well.

^ Top  
  23. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I think Bethesda already had all lead positions covered. He's talking about hiring minions.

^ Top  
  24. filogreek Scholar

filogreek
    Parrots:
    Yeah, 'Dude' is the journo's screen name on the forum.

Funny how it seems that some non-American journalists seem to be asking more critical/challenging questions (for example, this German interview with Hines).

^ Top  
  25. Cimmerian Nights Liturgist

Cimmerian Nights
    Parrots:
    Have to archive this one for when we do the "Which FO3 Dev lied the most?" thread.

Great, maybe we can get some pro-wrestling catch phrases too.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)