Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 PC Powerplay preview

Ladonna

Arcane
Its long. I'm off sick. So think yourselves lucky...Anyway,

How does Todd Howard reassure us that the post-OblivionBethesda is the right team to be creating Fallout 3? "This is the game we want to do. We're fans of the original game, and when hiring people after Oblivion, I was always asking 'what do you know about the Fallout universe?'"

Howard understands that Fallout 3, like only a handful of other games, treads on sacred ground. Fallout and Fallout 2 are definitiveRPGs for our beloved platform, known far and wide among nerds as two of the greatest "Western" roleplaying experiences any gamer can enjoy.

"Fallout is all about a particular style." says Howard. "It's all about capturing that pulp adventure atmosphere. But it's also about player choice and consequence. It's about creating an inviting world that's harsh yet charming. And it's about giving the player lots of choice, via traits and perks, and using those in the situations the game puts you in."

All this is very reassuring indeed. And it gets even better as Howard warms to his topic.

"One thing about the design in Fallout is that it's very iconic. Things look a certain way in that world, and we're making sure we capture that. Things like the Pip boy interface and the way the Vault looks. We're also using the sounds effects from the original game for things like buttons on the interface and other fine details like that. You wil know this is a Fallout game from the moment you start."

But Howard wants to make it clear that looking back at the original games is merely a place to start. "We look back initially but it gives us a foundation to go forward, establish this pulp adventure world, and start taking it places the original games couldn't."

The most obvious change, of course, is the move to a 3D engine. The isometric fixed viewpoint of old is gone, replaced by a selectable third- or first-person view. Howard is quick to insist this isn't just tech for tech's sake, but adds considerably to the new game.

"The tech you use for the game affects the realism of the world. We can just add so much more detail in a 3D engine. You can now walk up to a rack of equipment and see what's there, just choosing the thing you want right off the rack.

"It lets you touch the world in a different way, gives you access to different kinds of information. For instance, you can see what the weather is like just by walking outside."

Howard says there's another important reason for the move to a cutting-edge 3D engine.

"This is Fallout 3 so the game has to make a big technological impact. A lot of people forget that the original game was really cutting edge for its time. It was one of the first SVGA games to feature full lip-syncing for its characters. So we need to take Fallout 3 to the next level to ensure that same level of impact exists with this new game.

"There's one more thing too that 3D allows us -- we can do some really crazy things with the violence. That's another thing people forget about the original, it had all these really insane finishing moves and effects like that and we want to bring that back. With 3D you can do some really crazy stuff. It sounds kind of horrible I suppose, but the violence is a core part of the Fallout experience."

There's more to capturing the spirit of a game than a few recycled sounds effects and shiny new graphics, though. Of biggest concern to us here at PCPP is the risk that the game will be "dumbed down" for a new generation of action-junkie gamers. That the game is also being developed for the Xbox 360 only heightens our concern.

But Howard is quick to explain.

"Essentially, the SPECIAL roleplaying system is very very similar to the first game. We have the same number of stats, and the same ability to make choices about how your character develops. The game is about choice and consequence and I think we're capturing that really well.

"What I especially like about the Fallout games is that there are no classes, you aren't forced to pigeonhole youself right at the beginning of the game. You can start to play, develop a style as you go, and make choices about which perks to select in order to push your character in a certain direction. But it's much more fluid than just saying 'I'm a scientist' at the beginning of the game and then having to live that choice through all the hours ahead."

Because Fallout 3 has made the jump to 3D, combat now has the opportunity to be far more action oriented. In fact, elements of the combat will be much as you find them in any shooter: just point the gun and press the fire button.

Naturally this causes alarm to Fallout diehards, since the original games had turn-based tactical combat systems. The good news is that Fallout 3 does too, and it's called VATS -- the VaulTec Assisted Targeting System.

It's needed because the real-time combat is affected heavily by the player's own stats. You can whip out the old shotgun and hew away, but if your stats aren't up to the task, likely as not you'll miss a challenging opponent. Howard says this is because Bethesda wants the player to be in constant control, but doesn't want to reward "twitch skills".

VATS works like the targeted shots in the original games, and allows the player to cure up moves when facing several opponents at once.

"The beauty of VATS is that it works alongside the real-time combat system and enables you to better see what kind of meaning and consequences your choices about how your character is developing affect you in the game world," says Howard. Like the original games, the number of moves is based on the number of action points VATS gives the player to spend, determined byt the Agility stat. VATS pauses the game and allows the player to stand apart from their character, having an out-of body- experience as it were.

"VATS allows you to see things that your character can't immediately see, and it gives you a massive tactical advantage," Howard says.

It will be possible to zoom in on enemies and target specific body parts and make use of specific perks and special moves. But it all comes at a cost: action points.

"You only have a limited number of points and they don't recharge right away. So the choice becomes, when you're walking down a road and see, say, and ant, do you want to spend points on such a low level enemy? Or do you just want to pull out your gun and shoot it?"

Howard goes on. "Even in some situations you might encounter a moderately challenging enemy, but the decision is this: do I spend my points now to make this a really easy encounter, or so I save the points because I don't know if there might be a bigger group of enemies around the corner?"

When you do use the VATS, you're in for a treat. Once all the moves are cued up and you're ready to atack, hit the button and the action plays back in a cinematic fashion. The camera will move around the combat area, concentrating on different elements of the fight.

"Blow a guy's head off and it zooms in and shows you the gory details.: says Howard, invoking that old ultra-violence once again.

VATS sounds great, but here's the question. If the engine is capable of real-time combat, why not just make Fallout 3 a shooter? Why implement VATS at all? Similarly, why not just stick to a turn-based combat system like the originals, if Bethesda is so careful to maintain the spirit of the first game?

"Basically this is the most fun way to play," Howard says simply. "It makes your character choices more meaningful and it strikes a balance between twitch gameplay and the slow pace of a turn-based system."

Fallout was an RPG, no buts about it. The acronym SPECIAL was composed of the first letter of your characters primary attributes. On top of these, perks and traits added special moves and abilities: everything from being able to chat up prostitutes to having an affinity for fixing broken generators. Even radiation played a role.

When Ionstorm released Deus Ex: invisible war -- a sequel to a beloved PC game that was simultaneously developed for the Xbox -- fans howled when they found their beloved stats had gone missing.

Developers across the world go on about how players don't want stats, how they want the game world to be seamless, for all the mechanics to be hidden away. Howard strongly disagrees: "I don't think gamers are afraid of stats. I mean, Fallout 3 has fewer stats than Oblivion, and that game was very successful. We definately love to throw stats at the player. I think any gamer wants a game with a nice interface and that eases them into how the game behaves.

"We've found that the average RPG player loves all the stats and loves to tweak their characters. They just want to understand how the game works, how their character works, and for their character to have meaning."

This is something Howard stresses over and over again during our conversation. That the choices the player makes in Fallout 3 will be meaningful.

"The quests pretty much all have multiple solutions. Thats's something we're really pushing on in this game," he says.

Which augurs well for the future replayability, something in which Fallout has always excelled. Finish the game as a tank, then go back and try it again as a ladies' man. Can Fallout 3 capture Deus Ex's level of multiple solutions to every game problem? Our fingers are firmly crossed.

One thin you can't accuse Bethesda of is not taking the time to do a proper job on Fallout 3. Howard tells us the game started development in 2004, but it wasn't until Oblivion was finished a little over a year aog that things really started to ramp up.

"We hired a lot more people, grew the team, and now we're focused on creating the next instalment in the Fallout universe. It's a completely new game, but we've captured the essence of Fallout."

Gamers will make the final judgement, but from talking to Todd Howard, it's clear that Bethesda's heart is in the right place, and the developer is working hard to make sure this isn't just a generic 3D RPG with a Fallout logo, but the genuine and worthy successor to the games that means so much to so many of us.

This Preview is from the Australian PC games magazine 'PC Powerplay' September 2007. The preview was written by Anthony Fordham. All spelling mistakes, except for a couple I actually corrected :wink: are mine.

Can Fallout 3 capture Deus Ex's level of multiple solutions to every game problem?

What? Deus Ex wasn't exactly the paragon of options in role-playing....

"It makes your character choices more meaningful and it strikes a balance between twitch gameplay and the slow pace of a turn-based system."

And because it pretty much let's you lift all the combat mechanics from Morrowind while adding in VATS....something a modder could easily do. Not to mention it makes total sense to stick any amount of twitch into a game that "shouldn't reward it" especially in a series that never had it.

Because Fallout 3 has made the jump to 3D, combat now has the opportunity to be far more action oriented.

That says a lot.

Thanks for the transcript. That sure was a rather nice thing for you to do....I suppose. I'd think it's a bit more masochistic, but that's me. And hopefully you feel better soon. Sickness just plain sucks.

Ladonna

Arcane
Thanks,

I will do the boxouts now.

INFERIOR ISOTOPES
"For us, the original Fallout is the superior game," says Howard when asked which of the two existing titles provides the most inspiration. "Fallout 2 is a great game, but there are too many pop culture references that break the fourth wall of the world. Monty Python, for instance, doesn't exist in the Fallout universe. THe original game is a purer experience." So not only is Bethesda taking on the Fallout Legacy, the developer is even implying that Fallout 3 will be a superior experience to Fallout 2!

SKIN DEEP?
Fallout 3 uses the Oblivion engine, in the sense that Bethesda is taking its existing technology and modifying it for the Fallout universe. But this is much more than a total conversion. "The game mechanics are very different from Oblivion," Howard explains. "The entire character system, the dialogue system, and of course the combat, are all overhauled. In regards to engine improvements, we've worked over everything from the actual speed of the game to enemy AI." The brief trailer that has been circulating on the internet for the last couple of months certainly hints that the game is going to look absolutely spectacular. Lets just hope it won't bring our systems to their knees -- I for one still haven't paid off the PC I bought to play Oblivion.

FAMILY FOR HIRE
The original games allowed the player to gather a party of companions and take on the denizens of the wasteland as a team. Howard says Bethesda is not quite ready to talk about the companion system in Fallout 3 just yet. But he did tell us that companions will be part of the game, but that Fallout 3 will not be a "party based game". Looks like that, when push comes to shove, you'll be on your own out there.

THE STORY THUS FAR
The game starts 30 years after the events of Fallout 2 in Washington's Vault 101. This is the place where the best and brightest on Capital hill were whisked away to as the bombs started to drop. You have all the luxuries you could want. As your character is born, a DNA scan lets you pick racial traits. Your father (voiced by Liam Neeson) is at the birth (not fighting off scavengers) and, in a nice twist, takes off his medical mask after you have completed the DNA scan to reveal a family resemblance, with his features mirroring your choices. As you grow up in the game you get a BB-gun to teach you the basics of combat, and standardised testing lets you arrange your skills. All of this, from cradle to your 19th birthday, will take roughly an hour and should give you a good introduction to the game mechanics as well as plenty of feel for the setting. On you final birthday in the Vault you discover your father has vanished. Gone. Dismissing the local catchphrase "Your born in the Vault, you'll die in the Vault," soon the outer door is hacked and you're on your way to find the old man. He's been there since your first breath ... how could you do anything but launch an ill-informed rescue mission? According to Bethesda, the core storyline will last roughly 20 hours (And will end the game) although side quests should flesh that out to around 40. Some actions, like blowing up a city, will eliminate quest lines while opening others, and Bethesda is promising between nine and 12 different endings to reflect your deeds throughout the game.

Again, all by Anthony Fordham of PC Powerplay magazine (The Australian one).

franc kaos

Liturgist
If everything they say comes true, and they don't cut bits like they did from Oblivion, this game is gonna rock!

3D is much more tactile (for want of a better word and IM very HO), than iso, and if the CS is included, some clever gamer will create a real tun base out of the VATs fighting system.

Delete the mini nukes and launchers.
Have cars that can be used if their power source still works.

Of course, if most of it's hyperbole then there's always Crysis for our RPG fix [/joke].

psycojester

Arbiter
"VATS allows you to see things that your character can't immediately see, and it gives you a massive tactical advantage," Howard says.

Wow, image if somebody did something crazy, like having a camera that wasn't in first person. It'd be a totally cool and revolutionary in an RPG!

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Developers across the world go on about how players don't want stats, how they want the game world to be seamless, for all the mechanics to be hidden away. Howard strongly disagrees: "I don't think gamers are afraid of stats. I mean, Fallout 3 has fewer stats than Oblivion, and that game was very successful. We definately love to throw stats at the player. I think any gamer wants a game with a nice interface and that eases them into how the game behaves.
What.the.fuck? :?

burrie

Scholar
Typo, methinks. You prolly need to swap the two games.

It's odd... at times, some of the ideas sound good and all, even promising, but then they bring out the mini-nukes, launchers and portable phone booths. Really curious to see where this is all going.

Longshanks

Augur
Certainly got Todd to mention C&C more often than any other preview I've seen.

Wish he'd focused more on the problem of player skill dominating character skill with FPP+RTC, rather than the merits of moving to cutting edge 3D graphics, this was never in major dispute.

Not much (any?) mention of dialogue. Would like to know if there will be any major variations in options based on stats/skills, seeing as there won't be based on intelligence (think it has been mentioned there will be some variation based on charisma).

Ladonna

Arcane
Well, apparently the previewer had a heck of a time getting anything from Todd, and when he finally snagged a phone interview, Todd was somewhat hostile towards the questions he was asking. Thats what Fordham said on the Powerplay forums anyway.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
"Howard goes on. "Even in some situations you might encounter a moderately challenging enemy, but the decision is this: do I spend my points now to make this a really easy encounter, or do I save the points because I don't know if there might be a bigger group of enemies around the corner?""

The problem with this so called choice is that it is fundamentaly flawed, because of them APs reloading over a short period of time.. So the choice isn't really what howard sais, but more like
"do I spend my points now to make this a really easy encounter, or do I save the points because I don't feel like standing here, waiting for them to recharge?"

In real TB however, you have to make that choice EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PULL THE TRIGGER!!

:)

Ladonna

Arcane
You need to be a member at PC Powerplay Briosafreak.

Not sure if you can join up or not, but you cannot view the forums unless you are a member.

JrK

Prophet
Is it me or are they trying to snoop in more "choices & consequences" with every new preview? Looks like they do keep up with our demands... (though maybe not in actually implementing them...)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
How does Todd Howard reassure us that the post-OblivionBethesda is the right team to be creating Fallout 3? "This is the game we want to do. We're fans of the original game, and when hiring people after Oblivion, I was always asking 'what do you know about the Fallout universe?'"
... and yet they didn't hire Tim Cain and company. WELL THAT MAKES SENSE.

Ladonna

Arcane
Is it me or are they trying to snoop in more "choices & consequences" with every new preview? Looks like they do keep up with our demands... (though maybe not in actually implementing them...)

Well, I and especially some other Aussies have ranted on about this kind of thing at the PCPP forums (One guy until they virtually hate his guts). Maybe the guys on the mag asked Todd and he picked it up and ran with it?

Anyway, I know that there are at least a few lurkers from Powerplay sneaking around here. Isn't that right PipBoy? Stormcrow? Sapper? :lol:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
JrK said:
Is it me or are they trying to snoop in more "choices & consequences" with every new preview?

I have a feeling C&C is going to be the new buzz word for next generation rpgs.

The_Pope

Scholar
I guess lifting buzz words from the codex shows that someone in Bethesda knows what irony is.

Can't wait for the fanboys to go deriding oblivion because you could be head of every guild, unlike the new, next gen choice & consequence Fallout 3. If you blow up megaton with a nuclear bomb, you can't get quests there!!!

RGE

Liturgist
don_tomaso said:
The problem with this so called choice is that it is fundamentaly flawed, because of them APs reloading over a short period of time.. So the choice isn't really what howard sais, but more like
"do I spend my points now to make this a really easy encounter, or do I save the points because I don't feel like standing here, waiting for them to recharge?"
Until now I didn't figure that APs would regenerate that slowly. Unless there's a way to speed up time, you may get really bored standing there waiting, and move along anyway. And even if there is a way to speed up time, perhaps time will be of the essence, unlike in most other CRPGs?

Perhaps "VATS, retreat, VATS, retreat"-combat will instead be "fight, save, fight, save, die, reload, VATS, save, fight save"-gameplay? I don't really like having to often make decisions based on "wonder what the assholes will throw at me next". I usually just prepare for generic opposition, which means that in D&D my wizards almost always memorize the same spells that work well. In FO3 I'd probably just never use VATS unless I knew that it'd be necessary, or that I definitely wouldn't need the APs for as long as it takes to regain them. And I'd always keep a recent save with full VATS, unless they do recharge in a reasonable time. Oh well, at least that'd make the regular gameplay more like Deus Ex, which might be just as well.

filogreek

Scholar
Was this the article writer's post?
Yeah, 'Dude' is the journo's screen name on the forum.

...as if he too expected me to be totally gushing about Fallout 3
Funny how it seems that some non-American journalists seem to be asking more critical/challenging questions (for example, this German interview with Hines).

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Have to archive this one for when we do the "Which FO3 Dev lied the most?" thread.

Todd said:
..it had all these really insane finishing moves and effects like that and we want to bring that back.
Great, maybe we can get some pro-wrestling catch phrases too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom