Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 is overbashed here

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
F4 is a gorgeous game to look (and listen) at first, but soon you'll realize that the world is deader than dead, characters are...I all forgot about them, the story I forgot is some something about your baby son and the last third of the game or so degenerates into a pure FPS. The game even got hammered at metacritic.

DraQ

Arcane
F4 is even worse.
Is... Is it even possible?
Based on the fine examples of FO3 dialogue in this vid I don't even know if its or Oblivion's writing is worse, which I didn't even think was possible.
:abyssgazer:
Tell me you're joking.
Even Fallout 3 had more memorable NPCs than F4
That's not an answer to my question.

I mean being raped is also pretty much guaranteed to be memorable experience.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
F4 is even worse.
Based on the fine examples of FO3 dialogue in this vid I don't even know if its or Oblivion's writing is worse, which I didn't even think was possible.
Tell me you're joking.

At least Fallout 3 offers you a 'tasteful' rape.

DraQ

Arcane
F4 is even worse.
Tell me you're joking.

At least Fallout 3 offers you a 'tasteful' rape.
I wish you a tasteful rape then as well, one you will remember for the rest of your life.
:hero:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fallout 4 is a (slightly) better game then FO3 and I can see it being salvaged by modders, on the other hand no amount of mods can fix FO3.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fallout 4 is a (slightly) better game then FO3 and I can see it being salvaged by modders, on the other hand no amount of mods can fix FO3.

How exactly? :lol:

Make a Requiem for Fallout 4, add more weapons and enemies, rebalance survival and you have a decent action game with RPG elements. Just few "small" things and the game could become entertaining just like Skyrim.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

How exactly? :lol:

Make a Requiem for Fallout 4, add more weapons and enemies, rebalance survival and you have a decent action game with RPG elements. Just few "small" things and the game could become entertaining just like Skyrim.

hmm, I could probably do this, I know how to use the creation kit, but I'd need some guidance from people here in where I should start. What do people want and such, because there's so many complicated systems it's kinda hard to just jump in without a basic idea of what I want to achieve.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter

People might be able to 'fix up' some of the gameplay but that still does not make this an enjoyable Fallout game as the storyline, the quests, the NPCs, and the locations remain crap in general.
So even with mods we would have a below average game with the Fallout franchise plastered on it that 'plays slightly better'.

Is that we want? A bad game in general with some 'nice parts', instead of a fun and enjoyable game in general with some average or poor elements?

No, I think that we should not accepts game that are part of a beloved franchise that are poor in quality and design to begin with, believing that 'modders will fix it'.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

People might be able to 'fix up' some of the gameplay but that still does not make this an enjoyable Fallout game as the storyline, the quests, the NPCs, and the locations remain crap in general.
So even with mods we would have a below average game with the Fallout franchise plastered on it that 'plays slightly better'.

Is that we want? A bad game in general with some 'nice parts', instead of a fun and enjoyable game in general with some average or poor elements?

No, I think that we should not accepts game that are part of a beloved franchise that are poor in quality and design to begin with, believing that 'modders will fix it'.

It's never going to be a good "fallout game" as long as Bethesda had a hand in its production.
As good as New Vegas was, it still suffered immensely from having to build on top of Bethesda's godawful assets and the faecal matter called bethbryo.

Skyrim mods like PerMA and Requiem at least give me hope that the gameplay can be salvaged, but the rest of the cannot, unless there is a total conversion on the scale of Nehrim.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron

I remember days when I too was young and idealistic, feels like it was a century ago.

But after years at the Codex now Im mostly bitter and tired.

Fallout has been dead for some time now and Bethesdas treatment of the franchise feels like Weekend at Bernies. So you should abandon all hope of Bethesda ever making a decent Fallout game, I did so the moment they announced they acquired the franchise.

On the other hand I like first person open world RPGs and despite success of games like Borderlands and Bethesda games there is little competition in this genre. So the only way for me to enjoy this genre is to take one Bethesda abomination and hope modders will turn it into something playable, which they did with Skyrim.

So yeah if modders turn Fallout 4 into a decent action game with RPG elements ill be happy.

hknt

Literate
So yeah if modders turn Fallout 4 into a decent action game with RPG elements ill be happy.
"Turn"? Fallout 4 is Diablo 2 in FPS convention, and it was never meant to be anything else. The only reason it's advertised as "rpg" is because that's a hip phrase for marketing nowadays and Beth is too cozy to create their own brand. Honestly if it weren't for the "Fallout" in the title and cutscenes pretending to be c&c dialogue most people would praise it, because the core gameplay or char system isn't bad. Shallow and repetitive sure, but that's what shooters and grinders tend to be.

Get "War of the Commonwealth", crank up enemy damage to 250%, disable fast healing, abandon power armor completely and there you go. Effective stress relief twitch game until you find something better.

Last edited:
Fallout 4 has meatier gun play, Power Armor that feels like it's not made of tissue, decent weapon and armor customization, and basic thought given to how wastelanders meet their survival needs. Oh, and some *new* major factions. Such as they were.

On the other hand Fallout 3 had several settle towns or cities of note, vestigial skills and thus significantly more skill checks (again, such as they were), a dialogue system that doesn't haplessly try to ape Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol, etc.

If you took the strong points of both you'd have a decent post-apoc hiker. Why not go for broke and sneak some more New Vegas in while you're at it?

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Eh, I had fun wandering F4 for about 20 hours, not worth the $60 price tag. If you have some morbid curiosity I say wait until you can find it on sale. F3 on the other hand, well, I took 10-15 hours to beat it and never played it again because it wasn't enjoyable enough to play any more than that.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter

I have no hope on Bethesda ever making a good Fallout title ever.
New Vegas was this rare anomaly and I pretty much consider it to be the swansong of the Fallout franchise I once loved and supported.

So no idealism on my part that Bethesda will one day make a 180 turn and suddenly start to develop better Fallout games or let more competent developers handle the franchise while they just publish it.

>I like first person open world RPGs
>So yeah if modders turn Fallout 4 into a decent action game with RPG elements ill be happy.

I do think there are better titles in that genre and you don't need to buy Bethesda's Fallout games to experience that. In fact I would strongly urge you not to waste good money on any future Bethesda Fallout title, even if it is on a discount.
It is money you could spend on a better game, one whose developers you are more willing to support.

Fallout being dead is one of the reasons why I signed up on the RPGCodex. I want to let go of the series and as part of that I am looking into other games that could be as interesting and involving and I want to talk with people who have played titles I have not heard of before.

Mozg

Arcane
I get gamer shame from hearing Liam Neeson speaking the lines they wrote for him in Fallout 3. I'm so disappointed in you for blowing up that town. Acknowledging that industry standards are that rock bottom for a nerd celebrity voice actor is damning.

Round of applause to Max von Sydow for willing a personality into his Skyrim character

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I like how after all of these years, the second post in this topic is someone that self ejected.

Don't praise Fallout 3! Or you do might self eject!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom