Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 is overbashed here

Repressed Homosexual
Come on , it's not that bad a game. New Vegas was truer to a classic Black Isle title, but you have to give credit to Bethesda for resurrecting a franchise from the dead and making it into one of the most popular in the world.

Where Fallout 3 truly shines is in its sheer creativity and originality. Sure these elements could feel out of place, but you never know what you'll see next. It really shows that they poured their hearts into it and tried to come up with inventive encounters. They are also great level designers, often conveying so much just with the environment.

It is way too easy, has too many repetitive vaults, and strays too much from a classic RPG, but apart from that, it's a game well worth playing.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I don't think we could ever possibly bash Fallout 3 enough, given how sickeningly positive the mainstream opinion of it is.

Repressed Homosexual
Come on, how can you not at least be intrigued by environments such as the cult of Harold, the cannibals, the Tenpenny Tower, the capital wasteland, the Nuka-Cola factory, the boat community, the Lord of the Flies community, and many others like this. I don't think any other game comes close to the sheer inventiveness and variety of Fallout 3. That has to count for something.

You don't have to like Fallout 3 as a consolized RPG, but if you like exploration there's still a lot to like.

Repressed Homosexual
I tried to give it a chance, but the dialogue was so utterly atrocious and killed it soundly.

I didn't find it exactly horrible, just serviceable for the most part I guess. Anyway I just mostly ignored it and trekked around. I had a lot of fun searching for all the crazy stuff. There's just such a huge variety of it. I can't help but being smitten by creativity.

I remember, I even skipped a day of college to play a leaked version. The game does get a bit repetitive and loses some of its charm after like 40-50 hours, but in the beginning it's quite an involving world.

My biggest disappointment though is that I was never even close to death, except with some traps, and near the end of the main quest when you get chased by the Enclave.

And why do some of you guys say it's trolling, you can't have any other opinion than a wholly negative one? First off, my opinion is far from being entirely positive, although I do appreciate some aspects of the game, and the game itself for its own merits. Also, I've stated my opinion a few times in the past and it has never changed in the 2 and a half years I have been here. This is nothing new. I just wanted to discuss the environments with some of you.

XWAvo.gif

EDIT: That's regarding to the name of the thread. Exploration was sometimes fun, especially after Oblivion, as it tried to make up for the homogenous copypasta by putting in some backstory etc. but it barely made any sense or complemented the rest of the game; a victim of the terrible setting.

Repressed Homosexual
Yeah, I've read that Fallout 4 is in development and it will take place in the Boston area. I won't play the game to be actively engaged in it, but mostly just to see what they've come up with. Should be cool to explore the ruins of Harvard and the MIT, and other famous landmarks like that.

Also, I agree that the elements of the setting are often very incoherent with one another, but all in all, isn't it also the case for Fallout 2 itself? I see many people saying that 2 is more of a compilation of eccentric game design ideas than a coherent, cohesive game.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
Yeah, I've read that Fallout 4 is in development and it will take place in the Boston area. I won't play the game to be actively engaged in it, but mostly just to see what they've come up with. Should be cool to explore the ruins of Harvard and the MIT, and other famous landmarks like that.

Also, I agree that the elements of the setting are often very incoherent with one another, but all in all, isn't it also the case for Fallout 2 itself? I see many people saying that 2 is more of a compilation of eccentric game design ideas than a coherent, cohesive game.
The game world better be 4 times bigger than fallout 3's with 4 more quest length. dlc not included.

Repressed Homosexual
Considering it will probably be on next-gen consoles as a launch title like Oblivion was, it's a possibility that it will be much bigger. At least I hope it will have better and bigger towns, which were sorely lacking in the first one. Only Megaton is decently-sized and not an enclosed area.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
Considering it will probably be on next-gen consoles as a launch title like Oblivion was, it's a possibility that it will be much bigger. At least I hope it will have better and bigger towns, which were sorely lacking in the first one. Only Megaton is decently-sized and not an enclosed area.
I hope they upgrade the terminals to run some minigames from fallout 3. maybe the lock pick one .

Topher

Cipher
I just got bored to death fighting super mutants, they absolutely saturated the wasteland and were hands down one of the worst enemies I've ever had the displeasure of battling in an RPG. Made all that much worse by insane level scaling, meaning that I fought them from the get-go, only the early ones had level-scaled weapons (i.e. hunting rifles)... and they looked so stupid firing those tiny little rifles. How did that even work? I just couldn't take it. Combine that with the brotherhood circle-jerk and the game was already pretty crippled.

Not a total loss though, I enjoyed the DC ruins. Most players seemed to hate downtown and the tunnels but it was the only place with actual fun content, even if it was just a huge dungeon but truth told even those areas sucked past level 10 or so. The fun was in the early challenge, few hit points (I always played with END 2), simple weapons, an actual shortage of ammo. I was definitely making things harder on myself then the game ever would, i do in most games, but I got some fun out of it that way, even as a mediocre shooter.

Still not a good game though, or even very decent barring one really awesome encounter, but I enjoyed piddling around those ruins with dogmeat well enough to not regret it. Hated that i couldn't set up camp wherever I wanted though, loved that in morrowind, hate that I can't do it in any of the newer engine games.

Really like New Vegas though. Liked it on release and like it a lot more now with all the mods.

Renegen

Arcane
I am happy they resurrected the franchise. But Fallout 4 will make me eat those words.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DID SOMEBODY SAY FALLOUT 3?!

ODchH.jpg

-SHIT YEAH FALLOUT 3 THE BULK OF THE GAME IS SIDE-QUESTS FUCK AWESOME
-FUCK YEAH I LOVE CLUNKY GAMEPLAY IT MAKES THE GAME HARDER IT'S A FEATURE
-AMAZING ANIMATIONS AND CINEMATIC SEQUENCES
-FUCK YEAH LOTS OF VOICE ACTORS: MAN WOMAN CHILD LIAM NEESON
-FALLOUT 3 HAS A COMPLETELY NEW ENGINE WITH STUNNING NEW FEATURES AND EXCELLENT STABILITY AND OPTIMIZATION
-FUCKING STORY DRIVEN MISSIONS- YOU CHOOSE YOUR OWN DESTINY MAKE DECISIONS THAT IMPACT THE FALLOUT WORLD
-EXPERIENCE THE THRILL OF KILLING THE OWNER OF AN EXPENSIVE TOWER IN FRONT OF HIS GUARDS WITH NO CONSEQUENCES
-EXPERIENCE THE THRILL OF PROVIDING WATER TO THIRSTY HOMELESS PEOPLE

FALLOUT 3 IS NOT OBLIVION, IT DOESN'T RELY ON MODS AS A CRUTCH:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/

FALLOUT 3: IT'S LIKE I'M REALLY PLAYING A GAME:

FIRST YOU PRESS V:

ZgVxb.jpg

THEN YOU CLICK HEAD UNTIL YOU HEAR A NOISE:

hXp1k.jpg

THEN YOU PRESS E:

pdNZN.jpg

FALLOUT 3: IT'S LIKE I'M REALLY GOTY

PprXz.gif

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I enjoyed the Point Lookout dlc, because it let me blow apart redneck zombies, but that was about it.

Ignoring gameplay and just focusing on aesthetics, Bethesda really couldn't let go of their fantasy roots; every town in the game tried to look all majestic and epiiiic but ended up looking fucking stupid because of the engine limitations. Megaton is supposedly built out of airplane parts, yet most of the metal looks nothing like what would come from an airplane; they also managed to construct this town with catwalks and fancy engineering shit, yet they can't fucking stop up a few water leaks on their own. Then there's the fact that all these makeshift towns are built mere miles from the remnants of pre-war towns and cities. Why the fuck didn't the people just move into those? Yeah I actually don't think I can bash F3 enough.

Repressed Homosexual
Even though Oblivion is an awkward and shaky game, I can't help but to be quite captivated by it, if only because due to its stereotypical high fantasy world, it is the closest to what I imagined a Lonewolf game would play like as I was reading them when I was just a little boy, alone in a fantasy world, and moving around trying to figure out what's going on, and never knowing what kind of dangerous situation or shady character you're going to come across next. It's why I completed every single quest in it. It's a shame that the Lonewolf game that was in development was canned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom