Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2: This game has no forgiveness

T. Reich

Arcane
Early F2 is tedious as fuck though. Punching geckos for like forever. Unless you metagame your way to cool gear immediately.
What baturinsky said. All three gecko areas before Den (in Arroyo, in Klamath, in toxic Caves) are optional content with side-quests. If you went there and started punching geckos, it's not because you had to, it's because you chose to. Basically, it's all your fault.
Also, buy out Sulik ASAP and let him punch geckos instead.

naossano

Cipher
Beside that, you can choose the order you visite those three places. I usually visit them after i got a bunch of level at Klamath and the Den. And you can also get help from the dog at Arroyo and Smiley at the toxic caves, not mentioning Vic and Sulick.

baturinsky

Arcane
Early F2 is tedious as fuck though. Punching geckos for like forever. Unless you metagame your way to cool gear immediately.
What baturinsky said. All three gecko areas before Den (in Arroyo, in Klamath, in toxic Caves) are optional content with side-quests. If you went there and started punching geckos, it's not because you had to, it's because you chose to. Basically, it's all your fault.
Also, buy out Sulik ASAP and let him punch geckos instead.
All three these quests (recover dog in Arroyo, save Gecko skinner in Caves and refuel still in Klamath) can be done without punching, only sneaking/running.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All three these quests (recover dog in Arroyo, save Gecko skinner in Caves and refuel still in Klamath) can be done without punching, only sneaking/running.
It is quite hard to outrun Golden Geckos. The fuckers have ungodly speed and sequence.

That said, Fallout 2 is fairly light on combat encounters. Most of them are avoidable in one way or the other.

I got bored with punching geckos quickly once I started doing ironman runs. What use is clearing areas when you are going to get killed by a critical during a bar fight in New Reno anyway? Only then I discovered that Fallout 2 is as fun as you make it to be.

There is no need to metagame. Redding location is revealed early in the game, and from there, you can access half the map via caravans.

Prime Junta

I'm not knocking FO2, it's fun, no question about it.

I just find it not-fun until I get my first decent gun, and I find that that part takes longer than I would like.

laclongquan

Arcane
Nigga please, I love the scrounging feel of FO2 early game. I just feel that it introduces good guns too quickly, should have given us crossbows and more improvised weapons instead. The 10mm Pistol is satisfying to find, through.

Also, tip on fighting Geckos and possibly some other animals, don't remember:
Buy lots of Meat Jerky (Dunton Brothers are best for this), and during combat use the backpack icon to dump the Jerky on the ground. The Gecko will go for the jerky and eat it before attacking you, losing AP. This means less attacks coming your way at the cost of some money. Its a quick and easy way to nerf them. The game itself gives you the hint from the Dunton Brothers.

I like fighting Geckos after getting Gecko Skinning, its some nice money.
:bro:
Also Bringing Bess to Butchery will net you 100 (or 200?) jerky. If you are wondering what to use them for~

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Fallout 2 is rife with little secrets. There is always something new. Partially because it has three ways to use something on something (through inventory, by placing item in the hand and by hand icon). Thus seemingly redundant UI has ways to implement many not obvious things. Similar to Wastelands and Dragon Wars, by the way, where using Spirit stat, for example, on specific statue, could lead to glorious encounter with one of local gods.
This playthrough I have found:
You can get +3% of Speech by ordering "talk only" in Cat's Paw.
You can find about that stash of weapons in Broken Hills by tipping ghoul barmen around ten times.
You can get "Autodoc Enhanced HP" perk by using Autodoc in VC while having 4 Int.
These Renesco glasses and secret reward was absolutely delightful too, but I already found it last time.
Also you can use shovel to remove brahmin's shit. It would be here again if you re-visit the map, of course.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
I had no idea you could use jerky to lure Geckos or get a perk for chucking Brahmin shit around. For all the shit people give Fallout 2 for the pop culture references and slightly more derpy world, it's amazing in terms of content. Gonna have to replay it for the trillionth time.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Also you can use shovel to remove brahmin's shit. It would be here again if you re-visit the map, of course.

Interesting. I bet there is some secret to be found by doing so

Not really, you just get the "dung beetle'' perk.

Hi.

You mean expert excrement expeditor? That one you get in broken hills.
From your message I understood that you can just remove any dung on a map

My mistake

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I had no idea you could use jerky to lure Geckos or get a perk for chucking Brahmin shit around.
It's perk that faciliates bullshitting other people. You get it in specific place, doing specific work and after specific condition. :M
Using shovel on "goo" just removes shit.

valcik

Arcane
I just fired F2 and was very surprised that Maida in Klamath put Redding on my map ..
So does Tubby in Den as well. That's my favourite route, hitting Redding right after Den. There's a couple of free Outdoorsman books in Redding and a lot of decent guns as hunting rifle, 14mm pistol, or shotgun in sheriff's office, including ammo.

eXalted

Arcane
Too many weapons and ammo, too early in this game...

You only need a single random encounter between consisting of two groups trying to kill each other on the way from Den to Vault City:
1. Hide far away.
2. Wait for them to kill each other.
3. Kill the 1-2 living ones left.
5. Profit.

It would have been a lot cooler to run with a pistol and have only a couple of ammo.
I installed a mod (Realistic Weapons) that have an option to cut all ammo in the game in half (or even quarter) but haven't tried it yet.

valcik

Arcane
It would have been a lot cooler to run with a pistol and have only a couple of ammo.
Get Magnum revolver from Flick in that case. Cost one less AP to shoot, .44 ammo is pretty rare until you visit some of the bigger cities, and Skeeter would make that nifty speed loader upgrade for ya! Full metal jacketed ammo works like a charm thanks to YAMM or Glovz's fix, so you're packed alright with this one. ^^

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Full metal jacketed ammo works like a charm thanks to YAMM or Glovz's fix, so you're packed alright with this one. ^^
Hm, I wonder if I turn Glov's ammo fix on in killap's ini file, could I use it without starting new game? I turned it on, but several tests with AP 10mm brought mixed results. Will check more, of course.

valcik

Arcane
Yes, Glovz's fix can be turned on/off at any point in your playthrough, it's basically a damage formula change integrated into sfall mod. (which is part of killap's RP)
YAMM provides much better results IMO, it's fully fledged modification coming with its own prototype files for various ammo types though, so unlike the Glovz's fix, YAMM cannot be turned on/off through the config file. It has to be installed separately, either as a stand alone modification or by checking it in RP installer, before starting your game, in order to get it working properly.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Hunting Geckos in Fallout 2 is a time honoured tradition. :obviously:

First time I played FO2 I took the jinxed trait, picked up my trusty 10mm with one clip and went Gecko hunting. It didn't end well. My magazine fell out, a nasty lizard broke my leg and I killed myself with doctor's bag.

Needless to say, I've created another character. Without the fucking jinx.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom