Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2: This game has no forgiveness

roshan

Arcane
I've been playing Fallout 2 up until the NCR and Vault 15, and I'm started to get real pissed off. This has to be one of the hardest RPGs in existence. I can't go toe to toe with generics raiders, mainly because I don't have any decent gear. Even basic guns and armor cost an arm and a leg (ergo. over 1000 caps), and I can't get caps because I can't defeat and loot enemies who carry goods worth bartering. It's a catch 22.

Sometimes I'll get a random encounter, and a bunch of supermutants will frag me with a laser gun from 2 screens away before I can even blink. It's like Baldur's Gate I, where your Level 2 party would get surrounded by wyverns or skeleton archers, and it was pretty much game over. I completed Fallout 1 years ago, and I don't remember it being near this level of difficulty. Hell, at least you started out with a gun, and could get a companion in the first area. It doesn't help that the graphics *suck*. You can't see what's a container unless you're right on top of it, and it's hard to differentiate generic people from important NPCs.

I'd take my time and level up slowly, gathering gear and going back and forth between towns to complete quests, but I'm a bit concerned about the time limit. I know the game has a hard limit of 13 years, but I must have received at least 3 warnings to get my ass in gear and find the GECK. All three ways to find Vault 13 require me to level up, which apparently I don't have the time to do.

So, what am I doing wrong? Do Codexers have any tips on how to get some decent gear?

Do you have allies? Have they leveled? What gear do they have?
What level are you?
What weapon and armor are you using?

Xeon

Augur
Can you take caravan jobs in FO2? I know that you can in FO1 thru the Hub but I don't think I saw any place in FO2 that does that.

Closest thing I think is similar place is in the Mutant sheriff's town but I think you can only do a quest there.

You expose the vice guy stealing from the company or something.

Sykar

Arcane
Can you take caravan jobs in FO2? I know that you can in FO1 thru the Hub but I don't think I saw any place in FO2 that does that.

Closest thing I think is similar place is in the Mutant sheriff's town but I think you can only do a quest there.

You expose the vice guy stealing from the company or something.

There are plenty of caravan jobs in Fallout 2.

Hamanu

Educated
Go to the army base and ask them for advanced power armour and a turbo plasma rifle.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've been playing Fallout 2 up until the NCR and Vault 15, and I'm started to get real pissed off. This has to be one of the hardest RPGs in existence. I can't go toe to toe with generics raiders, mainly because I don't have any decent gear. Even basic guns and armor cost an arm and a leg (ergo. over 1000 caps), and I can't get caps because I can't defeat and loot enemies who carry goods worth bartering. It's a catch 22.

Sometimes I'll get a random encounter, and a bunch of supermutants will frag me with a laser gun from 2 screens away before I can even blink. It's like Baldur's Gate I, where your Level 2 party would get surrounded by wyverns or skeleton archers, and it was pretty much game over. I completed Fallout 1 years ago, and I don't remember it being near this level of difficulty. Hell, at least you started out with a gun, and could get a companion in the first area.
I've only played Fallout 2 once. I chose to create a real weakling that was gonna rely on stealth and diplomacy (I ended up killing every enemy and offensive NPC anyway). 1 in Endurance, what was I thinking!? He was absolutely useless. Hell, in Klamath I was throwing rocks at rats to aggro them from a distance and have Sulik kill them without me taking any damage. I had no weapons because I had sold my melee weapons to afford a gun, and the gun exploded in my hand due to a critical failure. :D

The random encounters in the south were absolute murder. Master's Remnants meant certain death. My weapons couldn't even make a dent in enemy raiders.

And still, my shit character became a post-apocalyptic warrior worthy of legends in the end. Because this is Fallout 2. It doesn't matter if you make a shit character, you're still going to wear Power Armor and wield instakill weapons in the end. It will only take you longer to reach that level.

It doesn't help that the graphics *suck*. You can't see what's a container unless you're right on top of it, and it's hard to differentiate generic people from important NPCs.
Agreed on the second part. The NCR sheriff , a quest NPC, looks just like any other police officer, and for some reason he's standing out on the street instead of being inside the police station. The game expects you to investigate every identical-looking policeman just to find the sheriff. Sure, he's just across the street, but still - in a game where buildings are the key to identifying important NPC's on sight, the sheriff should be inside the Sheriff's department.

I'd take my time and level up slowly, gathering gear and going back and forth between towns to complete quests, but I'm a bit concerned about the time limit. I know the game has a hard limit of 13 years, but I must have received at least 3 warnings to get my ass in gear and find the GECK. All three ways to find Vault 13 require me to level up, which apparently I don't have the time to do.
There is no time limit!

The game tricks you into thinking there is one, but there isn't. I thought they had just hidden the "days remaining" counter from the last game, so I hurried like hell on the world map and looked frequently on the calendar as Hakunin made distressed calls.

So just take your time, doing quests and collecting gear and experience. Work your way up. We can make a warrior out of you yet.

So, what am I doing wrong? Do Codexers have any tips on how to get some decent gear?
Just keep playing the game! Eventually you'll be able to go toe-to-toe with the baddest posses of the wasteland, as long as you don't give up along the way.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Shit.

I thought I sucked at games.

Fuck.

spchlss.gif

hiver

Broken Hills. - and NCR too.

Shit.
I thought I sucked at games.
Fuck.
Dont be an asshole. You didnt do anything different the first time you played that game and its that discovery process that you do yourself that is one of the best experiences.

Not min maxing and "winning" or reloading until you puke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Go East and explore the cities there. I think you're too far South.Even though I'm terrible at combat, I played most of the game without companions yet still had no problems (on easy mode) so no need to worry about difficulty.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Broken Hills. - and NCR too.

Dont be an asshole. You didnt do anything different the first time you played that game and its that discovery process that you do yourself that is one of the best experiences.

Not min maxing and "winning" or reloading until you puke.

I certainly did not play it perfectly on my first run. I never do. That ruins the fun and the point of gaming. But I never went crying online that the game was hard because it's not. From the moment you escape Temple of Trials there is an enormous choice of directions and ways to progress. It is not a hard game by any stretch.

hiver

taxalot

He wasnt crying about anything. He tried to travel to stop the "game ending" because of the shaman dream - because the game actually end in F1 if you dont get the chip in time - so it was natural for him to presume he must hurry here too - got into a lot of problems and couldn't continue so he just came here to check if he is doing something really wrong.

And then when the assholes like you come in and try to humiliate a bro for your own sniveling ego problems.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks

Sometimes I'll get a random encounter, and a bunch of supermutants will frag me with a laser gun from 2 screens away before I can even blink. It's like Baldur's Gate I, where your Level 2 party would get surrounded by wyverns or skeleton archers, and it was pretty much game over. I completed Fallout 1 years ago, and I don't remember it being near this level of difficulty. Hell, at least you started out with a gun, and could get a companion in the first area. It doesn't help that the graphics *suck*. You can't see what's a container unless you're right on top of it, and it's hard to differentiate generic people from important NPCs.

What skills did you tag?

How you answer will determine your status among the Codex.

Spockrock

Augur
So, what am I doing wrong?
just follow the quests, they will lead you East. after getting to a new settlement talk with all NPCs and try to do all local quests. most of them involve killing low level critters and humans. gain a couple of levels in the process, get Small Guns over 100%

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Go near Vault City, get a Patrol X Raider encounter, stock up on good and expensive weaponry. Enjoy a nice power spike. No need to go full Navarro-shortcut to enjoy a little slack.

the_shadow

Arcane
taxalot

He wasnt crying about anything. He tried to travel to stop the "game ending" because of the shaman dream - because the game actually end in F1 if you dont get the chip in time - so it was natural for him to presume he must hurry here too - got into a lot of problems and couldn't continue so he just came here to check if he is doing something really wrong.

Yes, that's pretty much my main gripe. I wanted to slow down and smell the roses, so to speak, but the time limit creates a sense that you need to pursue the main quest line to the detriment of everything else. I don't want to spend hours questing, only to have the game tell me 'LOL, sorry, time's up. You lose.'

Roshan said:
Do you have allies? Have they leveled? What gear do they have?
What level are you?
What weapon and armor are you using?

I didn't have enough money to spring Vic (1000 caps!), so I had to wait until Vault City until I recruited my first companion: Cassidy. He only uses a 12 gauge, but he's still a way more effective fighter than my PC (too bad 20 shotgun shells cost 300 bucks). I can't add anyone else (like the tribal guy) because of my low charisma.

Currently Lvl 7. I managed to bluff my way past the Khan raiders in Vault 15 and *finally* obtain a decent weapon: A 0.223 pistol. I'm still wearing a shitty leather jacket. I have no idea how the hell are you meant to clear out Vault 15, when it has at least a dozen Khan raiders with assault rifles?

Dicksmoer said:
What skills did you tag?

How you answer will determine your status among the Codex.

Speech, Melee, and Small Guns.

I'm starting to think that it was a complete waste to invest in combat skills at all. I have 101% in Small Guns, and *still* suck at hitting or damaging anything with the 10mm. The 0.223 pistol ramps up the damage, but the accuracy still isn't fantastic. If I had sunk points into Science and Barter, I could have completed the GECK quest by now. As it stands, I can't progress forward with the GECK quest, and I can't fight effectively either.

You need to invest in ONE combat skill, and the best one for that is Small Guns. You might tag additional one with a perk later on if you wish so, I sometimes pick Energy Weapons lategame. Though Small Guns is all you need to carry you through entire game. And you have to raise combat skills above 100, to something like 150-180 at least, only type of skills you need to do that with really.
Fallout 2 is a harder game than 1 so it's definitely possible to suck at it even after finishing first one if you mess up your skill point distribution, which it seems like you did. You might have a better time making a new char, though it's stll possible to fix this one with some grinding in easier areas.

Last edited:

Spockrock

Augur
I'm starting to think that it was a complete waste to invest in combat skills at all. I have 101% in Small Guns, and *still* suck at hitting or damaging anything with the 10mm. The 0.223 pistol ramps up the damage, but the accuracy still isn't fantastic. If I had sunk points into Science and Barter, I could have completed the GECK quest by now. As it stands, I can't progress forward with the GECK quest, and I can't fight effectively either.
you're delusional. GECK is the end game, you get the GECK, and the whole world will come crashing down. get Small Guns to 150% at least, you'll get the most out of your sniper rifle when you get it. tag Energy Weapons when you have the chance.

hiver

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?members/the_shadow.14418/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?members/the_shadow.14418/
the_shadow

Stop reading this thread. There is too much spoilers already. Your tagged skills are ok. i usually never raised combat skills over 100, but thats your choice. Playing with a gun and a leather jacket is quintessential experience of Fallout games.

If you are at vault 15 then you went too far ahead. (that must have been reload and "oh gawd noooooo" experience) You cannot clean that vault so you have to go do some other things. You can get a caravan job in NCR which will take you to few other cities more fit for low level characters.
You missed a whole lot of cities and towns much closer to where you start.

Stop reading this thread.

roshan

Arcane
Yes, that's pretty much my main gripe. I wanted to slow down and smell the roses, so to speak, but the time limit creates a sense that you need to pursue the main quest line to the detriment of everything else. I don't want to spend hours questing, only to have the game tell me 'LOL, sorry, time's up. You lose.'

I didn't have enough money to spring Vic (1000 caps!), so I had to wait until Vault City until I recruited my first companion: Cassidy. He only uses a 12 gauge, but he's still a way more effective fighter than my PC (too bad 20 shotgun shells cost 300 bucks). I can't add anyone else (like the tribal guy) because of my low charisma.

Currently Lvl 7. I managed to bluff my way past the Khan raiders in Vault 15 and *finally* obtain a decent weapon: A 0.223 pistol. I'm still wearing a shitty leather jacket. I have no idea how the hell are you meant to clear out Vault 15, when it has at least a dozen Khan raiders with assault rifles?

Speech, Melee, and Small Guns.

OK, so at level 7, you should be nowhere close to NCR or Vault 15. I suggest heading back north, and doing whatever you might have missed out in Vault City, Broken Hills, New Reno, Gecko, Modoc. I think you shouldn't be in the south until you're at least around level 15 or so. The content in the Modoc/Vault City/Gecko region in particular should be suited to your level. There's a shitload of content in Fallout 2, tons of quests, both major and minor, and many of them are quite fun and interesting, so do a little quest grinding, ignore the GECK for now.

If you explore, you should be able to find hunting rifles, combat shotguns and other weapons which are significantly better than what you currently have around the Vault City area. If you want to arm yourself well, roam around New Reno, find encounters of Mobsters VS Yakuza, and loot some of the corpses and escape.

I think you can only get one NPC per two charisma, so if you dumped it, Cassidy might be your only NPC, but he's actually the best one in the game. Save the game just before you gain a level, when you level up, there's a random chance that Cassidy might level too, he becomes a God of Gauss at max level (I think he gets four of these), so try and get his levels up along with yours. Once he levels though, he won't level up again until three levels, so if he levels when you turn 8, the next time he has a chance to improve will be when you turn 11.

laclongquan

Arcane

How in the Wasteland do you get SMs at early-mid game? You have to wandering to the southern edge of the map to encounter remnants of mutant army, and early game chars get killed several times over before getting there, especially the central land filled with monster. Even Broken Hills is mid-mid game.

In case you are not trolling~

The Den, Modoc, Vault City, and Gecko has plenty of quests that can provide you basic to decent pays. The 9mm pistol you find in 1st town, Trapper Town, can tide you over until you buy/scavenge a SMG, okay gun that can serve your need. Modoc can get you an Assault Rifle from quest, and a best leather armor. You can upgrade that in Gecko for free. You should be able to afford a metal armor around the time of Gecko and Vault City.

A back track to New Reno will get you quests aplenty plus gears.

For moving around safely, sign on with Caravans. The Den has caravan to New Reno. Modoc has the same, and a route to VC IIRC. VC and Gecko has enough trade caravans to most of the area (minus LA). But New Reno is the key with their trade routes to most. Sign on with caravan, if enemy attack hide behind caravan guards so the meatshield get killed and leave gears. PROTIP: scavenge the dead guards is THE legitimate method to get gears.

You can have Sulik early. Vic is expensive to pay Merztger. Vault City has Cassidy. They are the available combat NPC you can get in early game. Sulik equip with spear/hammer, or SMG for shits and giggles. Cassidy is gun. Vic is pistol. PROTIP: get Mentats to temporarily raise your CHA to hire your NPC. DONT speak with him again.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom