Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Fallout 2 Mechanics Overhaul Mod Discussion

People over at NMA were requesting more features, so here's an updated version:

Fixes:
- You can now, um, move again.

Features:
- It's now one single happy menu you load with left ctrl + C, where you click on what you want to generate:
- Items: generates an item where the mouse cursor is. If there's a critter where the cursor is, then the item goes in his inven (should've probably also done this for containers...). If the critter is unarmed, the item is a weapon, AND the critter has an existing animation type for said weapon, then he equips it
- Teams: gives that team to the critter under the cursor.
- Scripts: gives that script to the critter under the cursor.
- Critter: generates that critter (pid) under the cursor.
- Scenery: generates that scenery (pid) under the cursor (hmmm, should've made scripts work for them too...).
- Maps: transports to that map.

Here's a video demo showing as many features as I could cram in a minute:

edit: New version.

The most important new feature is that it now checks for other places in a string. E.g. if you type DUDE in the script box, it doesn't find any script starting with DUDE, but what it does find is OBJ_DUDE. While this makes it all a bit slower for obvious reasons I think it's necessary if you want to end up finding anything realistically.

Other changes:
- place containers and fill them up with items!
- give scripts to scenery!

Last edited:
So I'm trying something out with overriding the existing world map so I can do some fun stuff with it (basically I want to introduce some gameplay into world travel: give you different actions to take, make things like caravans and raiders actually move and be spottable on the WM rather than purely random, etc.). Problem is that the graphical hacks I'm using for it are kind of taxing computing wise, meaning I'm having to use rather large (160*160 pixels) tiles, which transition kind of jarringly:

Here I'm using a rather sizeable resolution (1280-960) and a bigger reticule, and still you're left a bit disoriented when the break in the tiles occurs. Does anybody know of any tricks developers use to make such transitions less jarring?

edit: hmm seems the vid is a bit low quality in the start for some reason

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm curious to see it with the smaller tiles you mentioned.

Also use OBS instead of Bandicam you silly dinosaur.

I'm curious to see it with the smaller tiles you mentioned.

I tried it out with smaller (40*40) tiles, and it's smoother, of course, but sloooow:

I'm thinking I just fucked up by including the automatic centering of the vanilla world map, instead, if the panning has to be done manually, it'll be less jarring because it won't sneak up on the player...

Also use OBS instead of Bandicam you silly dinosaur.

I tried it last time you mentioned it but it was too confusing D:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This doesn't seem appreciably different to me, but I can't tell how much of that is due to the video quality.

This doesn't seem appreciably different to me, but I can't tell how much of that is due to the video quality.

Yeah, I'm probably sperging way too much over this. I think the combination of cities etc giving more visual anchors to the player and him having to manually move the view will remove most of the confusion.

edit: yeah, manual seems to have done the trick, yay.

Last edited:
So Jim the Dinosaur , still working on this or any Fallout related stuff?

Spending most of my free time shoutboxing working on my own project, though I do go back to Fallout every now and again (least efficient approach imaginable as it takes time getting reacquainted), and I'll definitely have to put out my Fallout mod in the form of a combat demo before even talking about that thing, so no worries, it'll happen.

eXalted

Arcane
Why am I seeing this just now?!

I shouldn't have come to this thread. Now after I know about this, I am eager for these features, but this seems like such a difficult task and as I see, it won't be ready soon. Me sad.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Just two words: holy shit! I didn't know that Fallout engine is capable of such splendor.

Of course we will never see this mod finished. Miracles don't happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom