Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 - It's meant to be good?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Funnily enough I am looking at Fallout 2 again after completing LoX, M&M X, WL2 and all that stuff.

It's about a year since I registered on the Codex and have now decided to change my title from "Lord Azlan - RPG Expert" to "Lord Azlan - he played BT1 and Ultima IV back in 1985" as being more accurate.

Did not know about the mods and will now have a look at installing the Restoration Project as I have only ventured to Klamath.

The main problem I have ALWAYS HAD with the fallout games is the lack of direction. There is no go there and do that - or even that little red tick on your compass. You are sort of left on your own resources - which I suppose is the idea. I agree with the guy who posted and said stop reading the damn forum and just play the game.

I can confirm I died about twice in the opening "tutorial for beginners" temple. One time the ants and scorpions killed me. The other time I got killed in the fist fight in the end. Both times I had to start again. I need to man up - maybe get some Irn-Bru in me.

eXalted

Arcane
I remember my first playthough, never had any problems with the direction. I didn't have almost any RPG experience, I talked to all characters and when I saw new location nearby on the map, I went there. Yes, I feeling kind of lost but there always was "Oh look at that new location on the map, let's go there". Although most of the time I had absolutely no idea what I'm search there

:hmmm:

T. Reich

Arcane
Funnily enough I am looking at Fallout 2 again after completing LoX, M&M X, WL2 and all that stuff.

It's about a year since I registered on the Codex and have now decided to change my title from "Lord Azlan - RPG Expert" to "Lord Azlan - he played BT1 and Ultima IV back in 1985" as being more accurate.

Did not know about the mods and will now have a look at installing the Restoration Project as I have only ventured to Klamath.

The main problem I have ALWAYS HAD with the fallout games is the lack of direction. There is no go there and do that - or even that little red tick on your compass. You are sort of left on your own resources - which I suppose is the idea. I agree with the guy who posted and said stop reading the damn forum and just play the game.

I can confirm I died about twice in the opening "tutorial for beginners" temple. One time the ants and scorpions killed me. The other time I got killed in the fist fight in the end. Both times I had to start again. I need to man up - maybe get some Irn-Bru in me.

Fallout 2 doesn't need any mods, except for the unofficial patch. It's that good.
If you absolutely want some mods, you can use the hi0res mod. Avoid the restoration project, the "content" that it restores is beyond awful.

The Fallout games never had a lack of direction. If you actually bothered to listen to and talk to the key NPCs, they would always be kind enough to both point out the next logical thing to do and would also mark the place to go to for that thing.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

Fallout 2 doesn't need any mods, except for the unofficial patch. It's that good.
If you absolutely want some mods, you can use the hi0res mod. Avoid the restoration project, the "content" that it restores is beyond awful.

The Fallout games never had a lack of direction. If you actually bothered to listen to and talk to the key NPCs, they would always be kind enough to both point out the next logical thing to do and would also mark the place to go to for that thing.

Very interesting. I think you are right. I have had eye sight problems for a long time which might explain why I don't like reading text on screen - especially if it is small font. Even in my current play through I am finding the text difficult to read and having to stop myself from clicking all the conversation options like a lunatic.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
:? Reading the dialogues is like half of the whole charm in fallout games. They kick the living shit out of generic crap like biowarian shit and they are fairly brief for most part. Get better glasses, man.

T. Reich

Arcane
I'd actually love to see how the "lunatic-clicking" method would go with Lynette or one of the New Reno big boys.

I wonder if diablo does that...

eXalted

Arcane
That picture wraps the whole game.

...because illustration of hiting children in the groin with sledgehammer would be kind of offensive I suppose...

T. Reich

Arcane
That picture wraps the whole game.

...because illustration of hiting children in the groin with sledgehammer would be kind of offensive I suppose...

Seriously? C'mon, that's so juvenile!

Responsible adults plant armed dynamite on those annoying little buggers.

Just run through the fucking temple, ignoring all enemies. You run far enough, press "end combat". The bit where you need to blow up the door can be done during combat mode.

Last edited:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

Just run through the fucking temple, ignoring all enemies. You run far enough, press "end combat". The bit where you need to blow up the door can be done during combat mode.

Hey there - thanks for your post.

It's become an interesting thread for me. Apparently the Codex can be divided into Blobber players and Story lovers. I am normally a blogger or first person RPG like Morrowind or SS2.

Good question - why did I try and kill everything in the temple - you are right to say you don't have to. I just did not THINK about this before and tried to kill everything and then kill everything and then got frustrated by the RAT GOD when I could not kill it.

I got FRUSTATED that I could not kill the geckos just outside the temple - next map along.

Then I read a few of the posts on this thread - decided to chill and slow down and READ, play and not pressure myself to complete every task there and then.

I even tried something DIFFERENT by using the aim function in combat and shot some guys guarding the church in between the damn eyes at a chance of 40% or something and was AMAZED at the result. Almost jumped out of my chair.

So yeah - you guys are definitely onto something - but it takes a while to change the nature of a RPG player. Old brains take a while to work again.

Thanks

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
it takes a while to change the nature of a RPG player.

jNINj91.jpg

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
So - I have been further into Fallout 2 than ever before.

Trying to be patient and avoid the forums and just play the game. Carefully reading the text as someone rightly pointed out the game does indeed give advice and direction on what to do.

Some thoughts:

Why is it that the random encounters I find in F2 are infinitely better than those that recently appeared on our screens in WL2. That is very disapointing. In F2 it has been worth my while to search containers and also delve into the caves that sometimes appear. You come across merchants, slavers, merchants fighting slavers, slavers fighting NCR. You even have an option to wait a while and see how an encounter turns out before wading in and picking off the injured.

Q - can you free the slaves you meet in the encounters?

I was asked to scout the NCR but decided to detour into Broken Hills. The underground level with the ants and dead bodies was a bit disturbing. I gather there is some racial tension going on between the super mutants, humans and ghouls. I asked myself do I really want to find out what is going on here? I left in a hurry. I commend the writers. I really enjoyed interacting with Marcus.

It has got me thinking about the Wasteland/ Fallout games in general and how they are so similar. How they are still in the Mad Max era. Would really like the next one leave the US and maybe go to Mexico or South America. F2 intro screens got me thinking about Bioshock.

I tried to kill Metzger and his slaver gang a few times and failed miserably. $1,000 was a steep price to pay to free Vic and I am not sure it was worth it. It's good that as I progress I have mental notes to go back and complete something I could not do earlier, such as wiping the slavers from the map or exploring the lower levels of the Toxic Caves. I found that very frustrating at the beginning as my instints suggest I "complete" a town and move on. My brain does not like being told what I can and can't do. However, I assume that path leads to Oblivion.

Modron

Arcane
You can wipe Metzger gang by holing in a shop across the street and firing through the window.

Or just pick up a dose of psycho and go to town center of main room. Add a dose or two of jet if slaughter is not bloody enough.

Lios

Cipher
Or you can lock the doors of the 2 main rooms and the main gate with lockpick, pop some buffouts and/or jets and start slaughtering the slavers from the outside in (sleeping with the PIPboy between fights). I did this with a character who was a great pussy (all talk sneak and lockpick and small guns due to magazines). Oh and don't forget to steal Metzer's shotgun and ammo, he's then reduced to a kicking/punching imbecile which makes the fight easier- steal what you can from the guars too, though only a minority of them has anything interesting in their pockets.

Had to order Sulik to wait somewhere near though, since he used to rush into the slavers and got hit by the ones inside the builidng who where shooting from the windows- it's no prob since if he's near enough he'll rush to help you but hopefully will be better possitioned.

*also where's the next part of the Diablo playthrough? Come on man!

Servo

Arcane
Anyone know of a savegame editor that works on Linux? I fucked up and made a character with 3 STR :oops:

Melcar

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
70+ hours now in Fallout 2.

Just entered the Navaro base to recover Vertibird Plans for at least two factions. Found another talking Deathclaw and a robot dog called K9.

I was getting battered by some of the random encounters so I went back and fully explored some regions. I came across Myron in Stables and spoke to him about a cure for Jet. Once I had that I was told to visit Redding and speak to the Doctor there. I remembered "Doc Johnson" as he seemed quite decent and wanted to ally with Vault City and cure the town of its addiction problem. So, my question is that after I give him the cure and go back in a few weeks does anything change there? That would be cool.

I got the car "Highwayman" running and was able to use the trunk as a huge loot bag. Bye bye money problems.

I came across Ghouls and Mutants in a few places - do they ever appear as random encounters? Would have liked to see more of them.

Came across Pretty Boy Lloyd before the mission to wipe him out - really appreciated the reference to The Good The Bad and The Ugly - one of my all time favourite films.

Some issues

Really don't like how NPCs are mostly at your beck and call - don't they ever move from the same spot. I can see why in gaming development they tried to give NPC routines.

Really didn't like how you meet someone - share some moments with them - do them a huge favour and change their life in a unique and netter way, then at the next encounter it's like "Hello - who are you?"

Now, in my Codex Era I have completed Fallout 1 and I assume nearly completing F2. I have played New Vegas and FO3. I have played Wasteland 1 and 2.

The similarity of the stories are getting really boring. We are getting the same locations and even the same people that were in the previous games. C'mon - move on from all that. Surely its not impossible to be in the same era but have a different story?

naossano

Cipher
I came across Ghouls and Mutants in a few places - do they ever appear as random encounters? Would have liked to see more of them.

That is the things about rare things. You aren't supposed to meet dozens of them in every f*****g metro stations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom