Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 - It's meant to be good?

Lios

Cipher
Best thread ever.

Saduj

Arcane
Guys

I managed to fix the leg myself by clicking on the doctor skill literally for the first time. That was really lame and it felt like a cheat. I have 7% doctor and i manage to fix everything? Dammit Fallout 2, ima knife thrower not a doctor!

They really shouldve put some penalty there... Maybe a small chance to fix it and also a chance to fuck it up even more by lack of skill, or something. But not this.

I'm pretty sure that is the way it does work. You just got lucky.

Andnjord

Arcane
Guys

I managed to fix the leg myself by clicking on the doctor skill literally for the first time. That was really lame and it felt like a cheat. I have 7% doctor and i manage to fix everything? Dammit Fallout 2, ima knife thrower not a doctor!

They really shouldve put some penalty there... Maybe a small chance to fix it and also a chance to fuck it up even more by lack of skill, or something. But not this.

I'm pretty sure that is the way it does work. You just got lucky.

I thought you just got a message such as "my skill does nothing" or something like that in case of failure. Did I get lucky as well?

I like how you can tell Krom to fuck off but the only available answer for the wood lady is "It would be my pleasure".

yzHkmqI.gif

Edit: by the way, the low chance to hit the gecko is because of bad lighting conditions of the cave. It happens during night time too.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher
"A severe lack of non-combat quest"
I have yet to find more games that allow, like Fo1-Fo2, to play most of the game without fighting.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
The kiddo is a psycho. He just ''does something'' (like killing some random passer by after failed pickpocket check) and then proceeds to kill everyone in the town out of ''self defense''. Of course there will be a problem running pacifist build with him.

pippin

There's nothing wrong with engaging in tasteful carnage and bloodshed every now and then.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
As Saduj said, and unless we're both mistaken that's how it works. When using the doctor skill, a normal failure does nothing while a "critical" failure results in damage points and I even think it sometimes adds some debilitating condition (like another broken limb). You just got lucky with your 7% doctor and scored a "critical" success I guess.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
As Saduj said, and unless we're both mistaken that's how it works. A "critical" failure when using doctor results in damage points and I even think it sometimes add some debilitating condition (like another broken limb). You just got lucky with your 7% doctor and scored a "critical" success I guess.
You see? The RNG Gods are watching with a benevolent eye over the most codexian hero Diablo! He is the chosen one!

Doctor is just that good of a skill.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor

"The healing of major wounds and crippled limbs. Without this skill, it will take a much longer period of time to restore crippled limbs to use."

The doctor skill can heal crippled limbs or replenish hit points with successful use. The skill can only be used successfully 3 times in 24 hours; however, failed uses do not count toward this limit, drastically increasing the value of this skill. In Fallout 1, where one is on a time limit for the start of the game, some use of this skill can save time vs
Waiting.

Despite what it states, crippled limbs do not heal on their own, only with this skill or visiting a doctor and paying for the service. As long as one has full health, one can make unlimited tries with the doctor skill until the limb/eye is healed.

In addition to healing crippled limbs, the doctor skill also heals 4-10 hit points per successful use, and can be used even when one couldn't wait due to enemy proximity. The amount of healing can be increased by the Healer perk, with 2-5 extra Fallout or 4-10 extra Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics.

Diablo

Novice
OK a small correction, i have 11%. When i tried it was under jet withdrawal so some stats were lower. But no mater i tried it again with 11%
fallout2_2015_05_28_11_45_08_51.png

See? game loaded, leg healed but not arm.

I tried it some ten times already and it wasnt always on the first try. Sometimes its on the fourth try, sometimes fifth. I cant seem to hit that "the strain might kill you" limit without fixing everything. Kinda lame... Maybe its a bug.

EDIT

OK Clockwork Knight explained it.

eXalted

Arcane
How do you have the patience to play with throwing weapons,picking everything after each fight?

I thought Fallout 2 is damn scarce when we talk about throwing weapons availability..

Having a blast reading your let's play. I admire your bold and brave first playthrough. Mines are always super careful, always with good character, so good that it gets sometimes boring sometimes ( "I don't want your money, it was pleasure completing your quest because I'm sooo kind!")

eXalted

Arcane
Now that's handy. I've played with an older version of the Restoration Pack and have been thinking of playing Fallout 2 again. Okay, this is pulling me harder to install the game again.

Diablo

Novice
Valcik i did not know THAT... Thanks!

Its not that bad though, you get used to it. After all its your tools of the trade, its what puts xp points on the table! You learn to love your knives/spikes as if they were your children....

So where were we.

and i set out home... to Aroyyo!

I misspelled that... its actually Arroyo. :oops:

The plan is to go there and get some flowers for Josh Sawyer wannabe shaman. I remember there being some. I need 3 broc flowers and 5 xander roots(since i already have some thats just 2 brocs and 2 xanders)

So, on the way to my beloved village i was beset by some cannibals. Quickly, they surrounded me. No fear, as my superior armor protects me from their feeble blows. Hahaahahhhhhhhh
fallout2_2015_05_25_15_03_58_88.png

Alright, enough is enough. Time to practice my salesmanship skills on these uncivilized tribals. I whip out my spike.

"Friends, do you have poor eyesight? Have you tried... the Spike?!" whoosh
fallout2_2015_05_25_15_03_35_45.png

"The Spike! A revolutionary new thing... The latest fashion in the Wastes!"

"... Why wear glasses when you can wear spikes!" whoosh
fallout2_2015_05_28_15_22_45_33.png

"Be hip, be cool, be Spiked!" whoosh

fallout2_2015_05_25_15_10_25_35.png

Hm. These ignorant tribals dont seem to like my offer... Well, their loss! I continue with my journey.

One cool thing i dicsovered in the journey is that evading map encounters nets you xp, usually 50, sometimes 70 points. Its not much but theoreticaly if you had high outdoorsmen you could level up just by walking around. How cool is that? Hmmm

Finally i arrive.

fallout2_2015_05_28_10_29_13_11.png

Aroyyo. My home village. And what do you know, a flower for Josh.

Hakunin still doesnt want to heal me... no surprise there. I can clean his garden though(for 200 xp... only 1000 more!) and i get some approval, and a chance to ask him where to look for the flowers.

fallout2_2015_05_26_19_37_36_18.png

North you say? Very well...

So i set out north in search of more flowers for Josh. But then some weird stuff happened.

fallout2_2015_05_28_10_47_59_44.png

Theres was a weird bug(or is it?) on the square above Arroyo and to the left. For some reason i get stuck in it and im unable to proceed west. I can only go back with some random clicking around... Whats even more weird is that if i click repeatedly inside the square, time starts flowing but im standing still.:?

:twilight zone music:

Weird...

Anyway i wiggled out of it somehow and after some traveling around i found a broc flower
fallout2_2015_05_28_10_39_25_08.png

smack in the middle of some geckoes and plants!

Luckily its night and i have 85 sneak, so i get it without problems. Thats 3 broc flowers. Now all i need is 3 xander roots and i can graduate and become a doctor!

But its never that easy. For days i searched and searched but no flowers anywhere in sight! I got wilders, ants, plants, and a hermit but no flowers on any of the maps...
Then, i got a call from Hakunin, telling me to hurry back home.

When i arrived, there was something to be seen.

Hakunin, lying in an awkward position, almost dead. What a hell happened man?!

fallout2_2015_05_28_17_53_11_83.png

I smack my forehead. The Geck. I waited too long... WHat have i done.

Hakunin starts his sad tale

i alt-tab to put some appropriate music(this messes up the screen a bit)

fallout2_2015_05_28_17_53_44_81.png

No...

fallout2_2015_05_28_17_54_20_19.png

Where did they take them??

fallout2_2015_05_28_17_54_51_80.png

Navarro...

fallout2_2015_05_28_17_55_07_97.png

Im the Chosen...

I realize that this will be my last meeting with Hakunin so, i decide to give him a parting gift...

I wanted to give him a broc flower but i really need it so i gave him this radscorpion tail instead
fallout2_2015_05_28_17_55_49_43.png

fallout2_2015_05_28_17_57_07_18.png

Good bye my friend... Good bye...

What have i done... The village gone... I never really got to know them.

Fuck!
I check my map to see where this Navarro is. Not far...
Then i remember what Clockwork Knight from RPG Codex said about some "Enclave" something...
Because if you burn Arroyo to the ground, the Enclave can't walk in later on and do it themselves and
Wait. I know them, theyr those badass looking guys from the intro movie and from the main menu!
fallout2_2015_05_28_19_19_41_22.png

Shit! im gonna need some serious firepower for this...

But wherever and whoever they are im gonna find them and then

:salute:

TO BE CONCLUDED...........

naossano

Cipher
You were blocked on the worldmap because you tried to go through a river.
Rivers and the ocean can't be tresspassed in the worldmap. You have to turn back, move a bit east, then go north again.

eXalted

Arcane
As far as I remember, I think that Hakunin meant north on the village map, not the world map. There was some kind of forest nearby with flowers, weeds and pots, or am I mistaken?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom