Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 - It's meant to be good?

Diablo

Novice
OK im gonna make a Fallout/Metallica comparison too.

Ill chose one song and ill compare it trough time. The song will be "Sad but true" because lets say its about jet addiction so we can stick to the Fallout theme.

Here we go

FALLOUT 1

A slow start but... Yes! :bravo:Bravo sir! Bravo!

The only video/game i finished watching/playing...

A must play/listen

FALLOUT 2

Its still good. But there are some problems. First its longer, with a completely unnecessary intro(think Temple of Trials:mad:) which really doesnt fit the whole thing. Second, its somewhat "unrefined"(think FO2 jokes).
I mean look at his hair. I like it but its a bit redneckey dont you think... Then theres the spitting. He spits five times. Compare it to the first video where he spits just once at the beginning and its a very tasteful spit. But five times its just too much.

Again as i said, still good! A must play/listen, but a bit unrefined(as i am now experiencing).

I finished the video just to see how many times James spits(i admit it was fun). Ill do the same for the game.

FALLOUT 3

What a fuck Metallica/Bethesda... What a fuck! I dont know whether to laugh or cry here... Its horrible(think Fallout3).
Its like its a completely different band(team) playing to a completely different audience(those people). Sure the words of the song are there but it all looks and plays like shit.

They all look like they need one of those oxygen bottles, like Don Salvatore... Then maybe someone could fucking steal it:argh: Ugh

Bottom line horrible, dont play/listen ever

New Vegas

I dont know what would NV be... I havent really played it much. I tried it, i know its Obsidian and it seemed better then 3 but i couldnt get into the whole cowboy thing. Maybe later il give it another go.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Will you guys stop comparing FO to Metallica? It's fucking disgusting.

If there was ever a good Metallica, it ended after 1986.

Also, now it's a Metallica thread.

Metallica - it's meant to be good?

Also i dont know if its me or in the new Fallout games(3, NV) theres no shadows... Maybe i couldnt turn them on though. But here NPCs, buildings, objects etc. have these thick greasy shadows. Very cool.

You can turn them on, but there's a big performance impact so I don't bother myself.

Namely, it seems that NPCs cant remember shit.

For example in Broken Hills i did the prison break quest and set those two guys free. Later when i went to see Jacob i tried to steal something from him and failed. He and his goons attacked me so i knocked him at the doorway and ran away.
Then i thought, since hes hostile and theres no point in doing his bomb the mine quest, ill turn him in to the sheriff for some XP. But it turns out the sheriff is hostile too. And not just him but the whole damn town!

Why??? I dont know.
As far as they are concerned, you mugged a guy in the middle of the city. :M

I had to skip town, but latter(now) when i got back, no one remembers anything. Everyone is friendly like NOTHING HAPPENED.

What the fuck Fallout 2... What the fuck...

I think that after a certain time has passed, eventually they ignore minor crimes like assault and theft. FO3 and NV do this, too. I don't mind it too much since it can fix things like entire town swearing a blood vendetta because you stole a fork without having to reload. How long have you been out of town?

Diablo

Novice
My rep in Broken Hills is NEUTRAL. I dont know how long ive been out of town(maybe a couple of days?) But something strange happened. I went back there again for the second time and NOW they shoot at me on sight, like im vilified. But im not, im still neutral. At least thats what it says on the rep screen. Maybe this is karma related(i have 62)? Because i did some bad things somewhere else... I dont know how this karma system works really.

Here are some of my reputations.

-In Modoc im vilified because i tampered with that shed where they keep something, so now they shoot at me. An honest mistake but it would have been good if there was a sign that said KEEP OUT or NO TRESPASSING or something similar.

-In Klamath im antipathic. I killed someone there. But the effect seems to be the same as vilified, people shoot at me.

-In Vault City im vilified for no reason whatsoever(really i did nothing there) but i am NOT being shot at. People TALK like they dont like me but i can walk around freely and even do some business. Why, i dont know.

-In New Reno im idolized even though i killed all those people... This is maybe because they were bad people.

-In Aroyyo i was idolized but somewhere along the line it fell to liked. Maybe because of those visions ive been getting. Three or four times the shaman told me to hurry up and find the Geck (honestly, if he wasnt doing that i would forget about the whole Geck business... the game is pretty big and you get entangled in all sorts of things. The Geck seems kinda secondary)

And now in Broken Hills they act like im vilified even though im neutral. In all the other places im neutral too, for now.

Does the rep affect prices or anything? Because whats the difference between being idolized and just liked? I dont see any difference between antipathy and vilified too... Its a weird system. But i dont mind really, it keeps me on edge.

naossano

Cipher
Were you tattooed by Metzger ? Did you kill any children ? Check your perk to see if you have the "child killer" perk as some child/teenagers might look like adult and you might not know you killed some.
If you are a slaver, killed children at some point, or travelling with a super-mutant/ghoul/non-human in some setlements, many wastelanders or civilians can shoot you on sight forever, no matter your reputation.
You might also get hated a lot if you have low charisma/intelligence, but not to the point of being shot on sight.
Of course, there is also the karma & reputation.

T. Reich

Arcane
I just love how Diable is totally casual about his in-game crimes.

"I've killed some guy in Klamath, and people attack me on sight. I wonder why. I was sent on a mission to save the village and I figured that it's not really that important, meh. In mModoc i went on to trespass on others' private property, and now they're pissed off. They really should've told me that it's not ok to muck around with it. I wouldn't know otherwise..."

Diablo, I bet you killed all those random guys in towns simply because they hadn't worn the convenient signs saying "don't kill us please, it's totes wrong" at the time they pissed you off for some reason (or you pissed them off by doing stuff like stealing in plain view, or something).

laclongquan

Arcane
Take Modoc for instance. You have to do an armed robbery, ie take explosive to the chicken cage, to see what's behind it. And you wonder why people take exception to that?

You are Chosen One of your village and you ignore your duty and you wonder why people take exception to that. People are dying there~

But more than likely you get a slaver tattoo and you kill some kid. That's two things get you attacked on sight.

Sykar

Arcane
Take Modoc for instance. You have to do an armed robbery, ie take explosive to the chicken cage, to see what's behind it. And you wonder why people take exception to that?

But they don't care if you literally bury the town in shit :M

Actually it is mostly just Cornelius' hut and a bit of the side of the diner who suffer most from the shitsplosion.

laclongquan

Arcane
hey hey, think about it. Though half the town is cover in shit, it's a farming one, so it's no great hardship. Meanwhile the feud between two respected oldmen get solved with the golden watch found in the shitter, so no one get blamed for the theft, which is serious bizniz in such a closed community.

I mean, they got a slaughterhouse and a leather workshop. The shit smell is no big deal.

naossano

Cipher
Also, about Vault City, you start with a bad reputation and have to overcome it and prove you are worthy(if you want), because the citizens hate all strangers (some more than others).
The Reputation is fitted to the background of the place.

Diablo

Novice
I do not go around killing random people. I am not some lulzy maniac, i treat the game seriously. Its usually because of a bad conversation option that pisses them off. Sometimes, things like that happen.

And yeah, sometimes i try to steal their shit but like i mentioned earlier stealing is way WAY too easy in this game. I have it at 12% and still in 7 out of 10 times i manage to pull it off. I dont know why is that, but it encourages me to try it. So its not entirely my fault.

In Modoc I didnt use any explosives or bombs, i just looked around. What they should have done and what would have made sense would be to lock the damn door. A sign would also be nice not to mention reasonable.

In Klamat i accidentally killed Sulik. I blew his brains out in a field toilet, and i just wanted to scare him a bit, until he runs away. But he didnt.

It was all because i pissed off one of those bathhouse girls(cant remember how exactly) and she started chasing me around. And this being Fallout that means agrooing half of the town population.:argh:
So i found a toilet(this is how i discoverd the doorway of doom method)and since i had no knives at the time i took some drugs so i could use Vics pipe rifle.
I dont know why he didnt ran away. It worked on all the others. i do it all the time, you shoot them a bit and they run away. But Sulik just stood there, like an idiot.

In any case i dont regret it because he killed my dog when they chased me. So fuck him, at least he had that cool jacket. Later ill free his sister from slavers to make up for it. Maybe we can even get together a bit:D You see im not somekinda monster.

I never kill children or (unarmed) women in the game. I just slap them around a bit untill they run away. For example there was a small kid in the Klamath lynch mob. So when it was his turn in the toilet i put away the rifle and gave him a couple of slaps. Thats how i play.:cool:

It seems the main source of trouble are the conversation choices that are sometimes unclear.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I do not go around killing random people. I am not some lulzy maniac, i treat the game seriously. Its usually because of a bad conversation option that pisses them off. Sometimes, things like that happen.

And yeah, sometimes i try to steal their shit but like i mentioned earlier stealing is way WAY too easy in this game. I have it at 12% and still in 7 out of 10 times i manage to pull it off. I dont know why is that, but it encourages me to try it. So its not entirely my fault.

In Modoc what they should have done and what would have made sense would be to lock the damn door. A sign would also be nice not to mention reasonable.

In Klamat i accidentally killed Sulik. I blew his brains out in a field toilet, and i just wanted to scare him a bit, until he runs away. But he didnt.

It was all because i pissed off one of those bathhouse girls(cant remember how exactly) and she started chasing me around. And this being Fallout that means agrooing half of the town population.:argh:
So i found a toilet(this is how i discoverd the doorway of doom method)and since i had no knives at the time i took some drugs so i could use Vics pipe rifle.
I dont know why he didnt ran away. It worked on all the others. i do it all the time, you shoot them a bit and they run away. But Sulik just stood there, like an idiot.

In any case i dont regret it because he killed my dog when they chased me. So fuck him, at least he had that cool jacket. Later ill free his sister from slavers to make up for it. Maybe we can even get together a bit:D You see im not somekinda monster.

I never kill children or (unarmed) women in the game. I just slap them around a bit untill they run away. For example there was a small kid in the Klamath lynch mob. So when it was his turn in the toilet i put away the rifle and gave him a couple of slaps. Thats how i play.:cool:

It seems the main source of trouble are the conversation choices that are sometimes unclear.

That could be a hint on why people shoot at you on sight :D

Also i rate your toilet drug stunt a 10/10. Keep the good stuff coming!

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Why the fuck are people acting like Metallica wasn't a downhill Ride.

Fallout 1 = Kill 'em all
Fallout 2 = Ride the Lightning
Fallout 3 = Justin Bieber

Get it right cunts.
Edit : for anyone who needs a quest marker FO3 was made by different people.

Diablo

Novice
Doktor Best
I didnt mean all the time, just when they turn hostile... Then i do it.

T. Reich

Arcane

Fallout 2 - it's meant to be this good. Just give it to the right kind of person.

Diablo is a right kind of person.

I'm reading his posts as if they were the Chosen One's journal. According to the well scene in Broken Hills, that's totally his canon personality.

"Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. I have places to go, people to kill."

Jahmis

Educated
I remember playing Fallout all the way through when it came out. I was excited for 2 but never ended up finishing it. It just didn't get a hold of me like the first one did.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
And yeah, sometimes i try to steal their shit[..]
''I don't really know. Most of the time I ignore my quest and walk into the homes of others, rifling through people's shelves...oooh, like those over there!"

Apart from failing to become Chosen One by trial of temple, he seems to be genuine one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom