Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 - It's meant to be good?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I don't remember if you can retrieve them or not, but my point wasn't that flares aren't effective. My point was that, assuming you can't retrieve them, if throwing is your primary combat skill, there aren't enough throwing weapons around. You may feel like some throwing weapons are everywhere, but if you actually use them in every fight like you would other weapons, you'd run out of throwables really fast.

Is some bragging in order?

After you do an LP where you destroy everything with flares :smug:

You're better off combining throwing with unarmed/melee, since you'll have to stay relatively close to enemies anyway and sometimes you have no way to reach them and attack at the same turn (unspent action points give you a bigger chance to dodge, though). Even the premade warrior does it, I don't think t was ever intended as something you can rely on exclusively.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Which is a shame because the game doesnt need it really. It has other mechanics to support a nonfighter like fetch quests for example. Sure its degrading but thats kinda the point. Im not skilled at fighting or talking so... What im gonna do?

(Also im not skilled in stealing(i have 14%) but for some reason i constantly manage to pull it off. Maybe it depends on the weight of the item like in Arcanum? Maybe im just a natural talent?)

The fuck are you skilled at then? First aid and scouting? Sorry but if you waste your skillpoints you gonna have a bad time, thats not the fault of the game.

T. Reich

Arcane
He took sneak and science.

I recommend you read all of his posts (he only posted in this thread), the guy is pure gold.

the_shadow

Arcane
While I agree that Fallout 2 is a good game, I can understand why it pisses a lot of people off (myself included). Compared to Fallout 1, Fallout 2 has a much steeper difficulty curve. It's common for people to say stuff like 'LOL, Fallout 2 is easy, just walk into Navarro and get the Power Armor LOL', but that's meta-gaming. Yes, there are a lot of items and companions in Fallout 2 which make your life much easier, but going into it blind, you aren't going to find them any time soon unless you have precognition. It's not like there are just a few pockets of really difficult enemies that you should avoid until later in the game, it's that pretty much every enemy at the start of the game can stomp a mud hole in your ass.

It's also pretty rough to condemn a new player for investing in crappy skills. Yes, Traps and First Aid are useless, and you don't get Big Guns until much later in the game, but *how would you know that* unless you have played through the game before? A Big Gun character doesn't need to be optimal by any means, but there should at least be big guns available early on to make the character viable. Or perhaps allow rifles/shotguns to benefit from big and small gun skills.

Once you know the ropes, Fallout 2 is a fun game, but it's painful getting to that point.

Prime Junta

I just started another FO2 and fuuuuu I can't put up with the early-game slog. I think.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
TL;DR version of this thread - despite extraordinary sperging of numerous distinguished autistic members, Fallout 2 still remains not only one of the best RPGs but one of the best games of all time.

q81G9cf.png

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Fallout 2 IS a very good game, it's just a shame that it would have been so much better with relatively little effort. Sure, redesigning New Reno and San Francisco would be a bigger undertaking, but just by removing or replacing all the smaller stupid shit, the game would have been much, much better.

Diablo

Novice
Well the game sure picked up some steam. I found some survival manuals in Redding so traveling around the map is a bit faster. After some errands im now level 3 so its time to chose a perk.

Im thinking maybe Quick Pockets, i sure open the inventory a lot to pack my knives in slots and whatnot. or Here and Now, it gives an additional level so i can really ramp up that throwing. Hmmmm but first

Some queastions about

-How viable is pumping energy weapons at this stage, say 5 points per level? Id like to mix up throwing with some LAZORS! later on.

-Havent got any chance to use the science skill yet. Maybe in the big cities?

-Sex appeal is useless. Useless! The only person i slept with was some guy in a random location:oops:. I couldnt afford some hides he was selling so he made me this "offer" and i didnt really understand what he was saying... Later i died from a disease. I was expecting more reactivity from this trait but so far its pretty fucking useless.:(

Some additional remarks

About some locations

I like how in Reeding since its a minning town theres sledge hammers, ropes and dynamite all around. Where do you go when you need dynamite? To a mining town! Itsa simple thing but i dont see it often nowadays. Then theres some political goings on, a minning area where you can explore things and some interesting locations like the Last Gasp Saloon with a "mysterious" graveyard. Redding is pretty cool all around and i look forward going back to find out whats in that mine

But on the other hand the Umbro Village sucks. First it has ghosts again:argh:. It really fucks up the setting and im just gonna pretend it never happened. Second, some of the writing seems a bit fan madey(maybe its from the Restoration Project?) There is a warrior guy with bulging muscles, long hair and blue eyes whos name is Krom, whos village got raided when he was a kid and who tells you whats best in life. Did you get it? Hm? Did you?? Hmmm?!?

There is a shaman that talks like this
fallout2_2015_05_08_13_15_49_54.png

it was kinda funny

And then there is the fix the well quest. Boy i dont know if that was supposed to be "funny" when the guy asks me a million times "did you fix the well? did you fix the well? but didyou attach the bucket"... but it required some real restraining to get XP.

To be fair i asked for these kind of menial degrading quests but still... I think that in the best RPG tradition
200_s.gif

in this village.

haraw

Educated
But on the other hand the Umbro Village sucks. First it has ghosts again:argh:. It really fucks up the setting and im just gonna pretend it never happened. Second, some of the writing seems a bit fan madey(maybe its from the Restoration Project?) There is a warrior guy with bulging muscles, long hair and blue eyes whos name is Krom, whos village got raided when he was a kid and who tells you whats best in life. Did you get it? Hm? Did you?? Hmmm?!?

This is why you shouldn't use Restoration Project in the first playthrough. Or any fanmade mod that adds content.

As for Sex Appeal, I think that trait affects a handful of dialoques depending on your gender. Nothing to write home about. And yeah, lasers get good in later parts and skillpoints are plenty, so put some in that imo.

laclongquan

Arcane
Is Flamethrower Big Gun or Energy? I forget. But you can get one as early as Redding.

I remember trying Throwing at one point. Thowing sucks in F1/2, not because of missiles but because melee NPC keep closing. IN a fight, you can use grenades maybe twice before fall back to knives. Also, they are heavy.

Sykar

Arcane
Is Flamethrower Big Gun or Energy? I forget. But you can get one as early as Redding.

I remember trying Throwing at one point. Thowing sucks in F1/2, not because of missiles but because melee NPC keep closing. IN a fight, you can use grenades maybe twice before fall back to knives. Also, they are heavy.

Flame Thrower is considered a big gun, also throwing doesn't suck but it is a niche skill, not a main skill.

Well the game sure picked up some steam. I found some survival manuals in Redding so traveling around the map is a bit faster. After some errands im now level 3 so its time to chose a perk.

>level 3
>Redding

The caves under to town are an excellent spot for low-level characters to train a little! The critters inside are no big deal.

:troll:

dunno lah

Arcane
I don't remember if you can retrieve them or not, but my point wasn't that flares aren't effective. My point was that, assuming you can't retrieve them, if throwing is your primary combat skill, there aren't enough throwing weapons around. You may feel like some throwing weapons are everywhere, but if you actually use them in every fight like you would other weapons, you'd run out of throwables really fast.

Is some bragging in order?

After you do an LP where you destroy everything with flares :smug:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-makes-me-want-to-throw-up-lp-fallout2.83908/

eXalted

Arcane
Am I the only one who leaves Reddit for last before going to San Fran?

When I'm there, I'm always ready for the wanamingo mine. I've always been playing it like this, even the first time I ended up there in the end, and I didn't know anything about the game.
I liked the Restoration Pack and I would recommend it even for beginners. There are Ghosts n Stuff everywhere in the game even without the mod.

But really, stop reading this thread and enjoy it. Don't metagame it, play it the way that give you most fun. You can even.... um....eeer... y'know role play it (bold statement for a CRPG). Stick with Sex Apeal, sleep with random guys and pretend that your character is walking floozy and you are set.

T. Reich

Arcane
Speaking of Redding, I've always kinda felt ambivalent about it.
On one hand, it's a pretty decent early-mid-game location with various stuff to do and nice flavour to it.
On the other hand, it's not easy to find out about it, and it's sort of out of the way relative to the main quest line (SE of Den, while you want to go staight to the east to VC at this stage).
I usually end up visiting it after getting a car, but before going to NCR.

Saduj

Arcane

Im thinking maybe Quick Pockets, i sure open the inventory a lot to pack my knives in slots and whatnot. or Here and Now, it gives an additional level so i can really ramp up that throwing. Hmmmm but first

Some queastions about

-How viable is pumping energy weapons at this stage, say 5 points per level? Id like to mix up throwing with some LAZORS! later on.

-Havent got any chance to use the science skill yet. Maybe in the big cities?

-Sex appeal is useless. Useless! The only person i slept with was some guy in a random location:oops:. I couldnt afford some hides he was selling so he made me this "offer" and i didnt really understand what he was saying... Later i died from a disease. I was expecting more reactivity from this trait but so far its pretty fucking useless.:(

I don't think its really a spoiler to tell you not to take Here and Now, especially at Level 3. Its basically just an experience boost and going from 3 to 4 is an insignificant amount of XP. Quick Pockets is actually pretty good.

If you feel like you have skill points to spare, putting a few into energy weapons now and then isn't bad as long as you intend on making a bigger investment in it later.

You can pump up Science to 100 using books. Putting skill points into Science before you get to 100 is a bit of waste because you will find/can buy Science books. Its a skill that is used sparingly and the best opportunities to use it come later in the game.

laclongquan

Arcane
Speaking of Redding, I've always kinda felt ambivalent about it.
On one hand, it's a pretty decent early-mid-game location with various stuff to do and nice flavour to it.
On the other hand, it's not easy to find out about it, and it's sort of out of the way relative to the main quest line (SE of Den, while you want to go staight to the east to VC at this stage).
I usually end up visiting it after getting a car, but before going to NCR.

Redding is a two-stop location. You usually visit it on the way to Modoc or Vault City, with directions from The Den's various punks and slavers. Get a few easy quests in then move on, mostly when the glimpsed enemies are too tough and numerous for your party. You usually not use the caravan guard option there.

You return there, on the way back to the Den to get car, with VC's drug antidote and finish the rest of the quests, this time with more helpers, more equipments, and more level.

naossano

Cipher
I almost always go there only after finding the Geck, before or after visiting Arroyo for the second time.
Not only it is on the path between Shady Sands & Arroyo, but the chip questline is some kind of climax of the east side of the map content when you finally get to choose if you prefer Vault City, New Reno or NCR influence in the long run.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom