Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Fallout 2 is a theme park

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How I personally rate the Fallouts:

Fallout 3 >= Fallout 1 > Fallout 2 > Fallout Tactics >>> Fallout: Herve Hack-n-Slash Edition = Fallout: Capital Wasteland Edition
You ruined my thread with this tired nonsense, though I'm guessing that was your intent.

set

Cipher
You know, I did like Fallout 3 when it first came out. It was nostalgic, seeing super mutants and ghouls and shooting them with bullets because war hasn't changed. Of course, the story and characters never drew me in, and the environments you get to explore turned out to be pretty bland and forgettable, but it wasn't a bad experience. The game's only reprehensible now because it made too much money for what it was (and that ending, eugh). Bethesda should have produced a better, more faithful game, in an ideal world. The game was a turning point for Bethesda - that Bethesda could throw together shit mechanics with boring subways everywhere with a barely-there story and still reap in the bug bux and reviews.

But practically speaking, I could see how someone would find it more endearing than FO1/2, which aren't exactly beginner friendly, especially if you're new to older games. And, although I do enjoy FO1/2's combat, to an extent, it is clunky and probably frustrating for newer gamers, so it's understandable how they might rate the games below FO3, which has accessible combat.

You're just being too harsh Roguey. People are allowed to have different opinions from you :)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
fallout 3 is a piece of shit, and i only read the LP. Anyone praising it will be ignored.

fallout 4 should be announced soon so i guess the rage engines will taste acid again

super mutants and ghouls
Too bad the super mutants are shit and the ghouls are as well. Feral ghouls were well done though, I found them more frightening than the 1/2 variants and they certainly work much better as something that's supposed to be feral. Probably an unpopular opinion but I think F3 improved the fuck out of feral ghouls/glowing ones and Deathclaws. And New Vegas improved them even more, the deathclaw variants were definitely the high point of the creature.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
New Vegas faction system is easily one of the most dynamic faction system I've seen ever. Hell, they're more dynamic and interesting than Morrowind factions.
Do elaborate please. I really need to play FNV, but this statement really pikes my interest.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but sometimes if felt like everybody and their dog knew you or about you. Guess it made a bit more sense, though, since the main story was about TNO so they focused more on that, but it felt odd at times.
The nice thing is that PST plays with this a lot. It's natural that a lot of people would know you, since TNO has had a lot of incarnations and a lot of them have been very active, and a large portion of the game is about retracing the path that some of the incarnations have taken (and therefore meeting the same people they interacted with). But where it gets good is when you meet someone "for the first time" and they act as if they don't know you.... and you find out later on that they lied and they do know you. Even disregarding that, many of the major characters are completely unknown to the previous incarnations (including 3 of the party NPCs - Annah, FFG and Nordom).

Kz3r0

Arcane

Fallout 3 >= Fallout 1 > Fallout 2 > Fallout Tactics >>> Fallout: Herve Hack-n-Slash Edition = Fallout: Capital Wasteland Edition
You ruined my thread with this tired nonsense, though I'm guessing that was your intent.
People should really go back and brofist the fuck out of that post.
I prefer to brofist you, I suspect that Draco, as all Aspies, was serious.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I did a playthrough of Arcanum where I killed everybody. You can get most critical plot locations from people's ghosts (or their diaries in a few cases), and you can get yourself banished to the void by attacking either Nasrudin or the head of the panarii temple in Caladon.
The immortals NPC of which I am aware are the Elf healer at Shoruded Hills and the Silver Lady, maybe even the gnome scholat at Ashbury, of the last one I am not really sure, seemed more like a bug when his scripted death sequence started even having been dead for a long time by that point.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Wasn't it possible to manually find the gap in the mountain range?.

Yeah, you can just go near where you know Gorgoth pass is, switch off from the world map and manually walk west, eventually you'll find it.

You can do this at basically any point of the game.

Severian Silk

I started FNV but lost interest. Everything is shit brown. The combat is slow and sticky. But most importantly the loading times are pretty bad on my machine. Would getting an SSD make the game load faster? Oh well, I will try playing the game again in another decade. Maybe my computer will be more powerful then.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
New Vegas faction system is easily one of the most dynamic faction system I've seen ever. Hell, they're more dynamic and interesting than Morrowind factions.
Do elaborate please. I really need to play FNV, but this statement really pikes my interest.

It tracks reputation in both dynamic ways (player actions like wearing uniforms of opposite factions or killing/stealing from faction members) and scripted ways (quests, set-pieces). Reputation is complex and not either/or - if you help AND work against the same faction, they'll react to you like, for instance "mercenary with a heart of gold" if you're known for taking greedy options but rarely killing people outright. There's a reputation system like this for each faction, and almost all actors/NPCs from all factions - even minor NPCs - will have different scripted reactions to your reputation. If you fuck a faction hard, they won't forgive you no matter how many of them you've saved in the past, except if you redeem yourself through some great action or counter-action to an opposing faction. On top of this, each faction have credible political reasons to act the way they do. Even if the legion comes off as cartoonish at the beginning, they really aren't, and fuck any edgy prick who claims otherwise. The reason they're seen as cartoonish is that they're not really Javert-levels of "justified/understandable" villains, but they're still far ahead of 90% of video game villainy.

The faction system of New Vegas is something that should be in any Open World game. Really sets a coherent framework for your exploration of the wasteland. For all the game's flaws, that system is really fucking great.

New Vegas should be played for the same reasons Bloodlines should, so if you're like me and love that game despite all its glaring flaws, well, New Vegas should be just to your liking. It also has better gunplay than Bloodlines, though that's saying very little.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

It tracks reputation in both dynamic ways (player actions like wearing uniforms of opposite factions or killing/stealing from faction members) and scripted ways (quests, set-pieces). Reputation is complex and not either/or - if you help AND work against the same faction, they'll react to you like, for instance "mercenary with a heart of gold" if you're known for taking greedy options but rarely killing people outright. There's a reputation system like this for each faction, and almost all actors/NPCs from all factions - even minor NPCs - will have different scripted reactions to your reputation. If you fuck a faction hard, they won't forgive you no matter how many of them you've saved in the past, except if you redeem yourself through some great action or counter-action to an opposing faction. On top of this, each faction have credible political reasons to act the way they do (even if the legion comes off as cartoonish at the beginning, they really aren't).

The faction system of New Vegas is something that should be in any Open World game. Really sets a coherent framework for your exploration of the wasteland. For all the game's flaws, that system is really fucking great.

Perfect.

More thing to note is that it's possible to aid opposing factions without pissing either one off to a point. Stealth helps a lot in this regard.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ I could also mention how the game almost lets you go any conceivable way you want during the end game, but that's already been discussed and it's not really part of the faction system. However I was pleasantly surprised when I "LARPed" and decided to do a quest for the legion which and then betray them by doing a quest for someone else that was counter-productive to it, and next time I met Cesar he interrogated me about it and I went through several checks to convince him I was still loyal to the legion.

The game has a way of anticipating every conceivable motivation you could have for doing something like that, and it lets you tell the game what your specific motivation was.

The game's way of putting my roleplaying into its systems is the exact way I figure LARPing should be destroyed. It's pretty comparable to Age of Decadence not in the way it systemizes this, but in its core philosophy of how roleplaying should be handled. (tagging Vault Dweller so he can object if he disagrees)

After all, the difference between me larping "my character is doing stuff for this and this reason" in my own head, and not doing that, is the game recognizing my motivation and ackknowledging it.

Of course, this complex network of reactions is also the nemesis of the game when it bugs out, but most of that has been fixed I think.

And in the end, nothing saves the game on the spots where it really does suck hard.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

It wasn't, but it's a nice side effect.

Now you know how other people feel when you bombard them with your tired trolling. Suck it mother fucker.

I started FNV but lost interest. Everything is shit brown. The combat is slow and sticky. But most importantly the loading times are pretty bad on my machine. Would getting an SSD make the game load faster? Oh well, I will try playing the game again in another decade. Maybe my computer will be more powerful then.
The speed of actions in combat is based off of perks and attributes. If you have a low Agility and no perks everything you do will be slow and drawn out. Not that the combat is great otherwise, but it's an improvement over what came before it.

For the ugly brown tint there is this: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34888/?

Cadmus

Arcane
So guys hum I found this thread and proclaim it to be the official Fallout 2 discussion as of now.
I'm at the weird military base full of guys in rubber suits, I think they are enclave. There was this big deathclaw locked up in the basement but somehow I made the entire base hostile and because I stupidly chose to play melee weapon dude and now I'm sick of running after the enemies that slide over 2 screens away when I hit them with a hammer in the eyes, I can't seem to be able to kill everybody in the base without all of my companions dying and getting HILARIOUSLY critted every 2nd shot.

Do I need to clear this base? I don't even remember what the fuck am I supposed to do here. The journal is non-existent and it's been almost a year since I started the game and it's not any fun this way. So uh my questions: what the fuck should I be doing in this base? can I somehow skip it? am I near the end? because if not, I'll probably restart the game with small arms or something, the combat got really stupid with the sliding enemies.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You need to find a copy of vertibird plans and pass it to Brotherhood of Steel in San Fransisco.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You must've done something wrong then or failed a speech check.
IIRC you could've fooled them into thinking you're a new recruit and not have to fight your way through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom