Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 CC (My expansion pack)

hexer

Fallout 2 CC (Custom Content)
What is it? -It's Fallout 2 + Restoration Patch + My custom content
Why? -I played Fallout 2 to death back in the day but I always imagined it would turn out a bit different than it did. More similar to Fallout 1. Less trees, less civilization, more nuclear horrors.
Is it done? -Quests are done, art is done, maps are done, dialogs are done, music is done, scripting & movies aren't.
Who am I? -I'm a CRPG / PnP gamer and a programmer from Croatia.

Hello rpgcodex! So I want to finally fulfill my longtime dream. I'd like to expand Fallout 2's world, add custom content and make some minor (mostly visual - audio) changes to the original game.
I came here looking for a second opinion. I think I made too much of custom content and some of it needs to be cut down. I originally planned on making an alternative main plot so I created a lot of new locations. I'll describe them here so people can tell me which are the ones I should keep. Each location has at least 10 quests and each quest has at least 3 ways to solve it.

If people show interest in this, I'll release the custom content publicly once I'm done. Here's the list, be brutally honest.

1. Godtown: A ruined town inhabited by CoC survivors and supermutants.
2. Shipyard: An old shipyard inhabited by human drifters.
3. Brig: A town built around a prison. Founded by people who were once Vault 8's security guards.
4. Asylum: A hospital that treats crazy inmates from Brig.
5. Abyss: An important military base with 9 levels below ground.
6. Trench: A town ruled by 3 gangs - the Nails, the Crows, and the Tanks.
7. Molder: An underground community ruled by 5 large families.
8. Barrel: A closed community, founded by communists.

Junkyard below the bridge

EfktiGe.png

Outside the prison.

x1qkRif.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Trench sounds like a smaller version of Molder, I'd cut that one first.

Asylum could be merged with Brig, maybe a small section of it since there probably aren't that many crazy inmates to justify a town-like location just for them.

Godtown and Shipyard could be merged as well.

Some of the locations sound very interesting but I wish it was a completely new campaign instead of an expansion to FO2 or maybe an expansion that replaces the shitty main quest while keeping the side quests.

Mod Fallout New Vegas into Fallout 2 (+ DLCs) and I'll personally pay you $500.

hiver

pozdrav zemljak. ima nas još par tu.

Trench sounds like a smaller version of Molder, I'd cut that one first.

Asylum could be merged with Brig, maybe a small section of it since there probably aren't that many crazy inmates to justify a town-like location just for them.

Godtown and Shipyard could be merged as well.
This.

Fuse Trench and Molder together, keep most of the planned quests to make it really full of content that way.
Same with Shipyard and Godtown... personally i would keep the name Shipyard for it, in such a case. At first look it seems a good idea to connect supermuties into all that. Maybe they all wanna build a ship and sail for a better place?

Hopefully these locations would be somewhat antagonistic toward each other too, so the player can choose for who to play or play them against each other for a fist full of dollars/items/xp.

I would put Asylum Brig (and call it Asylum Brig - actually) against the Shipyard. Barrel and Abyss against all and each other.
Not sure about the concept of communist society in Fallout USA though... but yeah, something like a "secret sleeper cell group" could work.

One of the things that annoyed me personally about F2 is that it never attempted to present anything socially different. It was always just about regurgitating societies from the past and attempting to create them again - like NCR.

if i was doing something like this i would try to create something... new, instead. Although not for all towns.

Looks great!

What do you intend to do about the main plot? I though the deal with Enclave was introduced very nicely in the game but that it didnt end so well.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
It's very difficult to say just from one-line descriptions. Many vanilla areas would seem redundant by such a short description yet pretty much all are distinct and unique. You can't expect answers of any real value based on so little info.

Plenty of quests with multiple solutions sound like a reason good enough for any of your locations to exist.

hexer

Some really good suggestions so far!

Some of the locations sound very interesting but I wish it was a completely new campaign instead of an expansion to FO2 or maybe an expansion that replaces the shitty main quest while keeping the side quests.

Mod Fallout New Vegas into Fallout 2 (+ DLCs) and I'll personally pay you $500.

Originally, this was supposed to be a stand alone game. But I was very critical of my main plot so I decided to do an expansion instead.

That bridge looks nice!

Thanks! The bridge is huge so it couldn't fit inside one screenshot.

pozdrav zemljak. ima nas još par tu.

Bok stari! :D

What do you intend to do about the main plot? I though the deal with Enclave was introduced very nicely in the game but that it didnt end so well.

I had something else planned for the Chosen One but as I mentioned above, that idea has been abandoned.

It's very difficult to say just from one-line descriptions. Many vanilla areas would seem redundant by such a short description yet pretty much all are distinct and unique. You can't expect answers of any real value based on so little info.

Plenty of quests with multiple solutions sound like a reason good enough for any of your locations to exist.

With the Restoration Patch, the world map is getting very cluttered. It looks as if the life in the wasteland is thriving. This doesn't inspire that good ol' Fallout feeling.
Here's the extra info about locations. (I couldn't find Shipyard's description so I'll post it later after I dig through some more files.)

ABYSS
Nicknamed the Abyss or the Hellhole for its funnel-like shape, Ariba Military Base was a military/government-operated base with regular space-shuttle flights, Vault-Tec research and military personnel. The base is powered by a geothermal reactor.

ASYLUM
A hospital run by Brig’s cops that specializes in treating mentally-ill. All patients are Brig’s prisoners who show signs of madness. The hospital is one of the rare jewels that inspire hope to the wasteland's survivors.

BARREL
This is a closed community of communists, very defensive and self-sufficient which built its own “vault”. It is ruled by the Leader Party which is supported by the Trapper and Ranger Parties. Any stranger that enters the town cannot leave. Exiting Barrel without resorting to bloodshed is a task in itself.

BRIG
A settlement run by Vault City’s ex-security centered around the pre-War prison. Anyone that appreciates law-abiding life is welcome.

GODTOWN
This broken city still has much life in it, despite being deserted by its original inhabitants. Most run away before the remnants of the Unity and fled north, but some brave (or foolish) enough stayed. Most of them perished over time. A few survived by hiding deep within city’s sewer system and are plotting to retake the city once again. The odds are against them as the Unity learns on its past mistakes and adapts much better to any new threats.

MOLDER
An underground, hidden community made up of 5 families. Each family serves a role - security, clergy, hunting, building, and healing. They are horrified of the above world (but Logans want to change that) while the Thayers want to push them deeper beneath the ground.

TRENCH
The city is run by three raider gangs – the Nails, the Crows, and the Tanks. There was a fourth group but it was wiped out about a year ago. The cops from Brig are attacked on sight. The gangs have no control over freeroaming raiders and marauders that operate outside the city’s walls. Newcomers are advised to carry a gun.

hiver

I dont think there were space shuttles in the Fallout timeline.

dumbass.

-edit-

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Only two words - less fedex quests. That's the one of the two (after watered down atmosphere) reasons why I liked Fallout 2 less.

Also hope that it will be better than removed/restored content from Restoration Project (like Abyss and Primitive Tribe, where only the music was good).

Merging locations, other than reducing overall work, would be an opportunity to take a look at the quests and remove the more fedex-y ones.

I dont think there were space shuttles in the Fallout timeline.

The vaults were designed to help with research for space travel, so I imagine that unmanned shuttles were either already in use or nearing completion. If not, just changing references for "regular space shuttle flights" to "space shuttle research" would be enough.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Enclave

The Vaults were funded by the U.S. government and, accordingly, the government had control over them. Ostensibly, they were intended to allow a selection of privileged United States citizens to survive the Great War. Secretly, however, a large part of the Vault Project had a far more sinister goal.

The following is based on Van Buren and has not been confirmed by canon sources.
The U.S. government's real plan to survive a nuclear war was simply to find another planet to live on after blowing up Earth. A spacecraft designed to ferry the human race to another planet was either under construction or ready to go before the War. The plan was for the government to flee to the oil rig, and then leave in a spaceship for another planet.[6]

-

Information acquired from Tim Cain by Paweł "Ausir" Dembowski as being the original purpose of the Vault experiment in Fallout 2design documents. Also mentioned in the Bloomfield Space Center design document for Van Buren:

In November, 2076, the Enclave seized control of Bloomfield Space Center. They knew nuclear war was just around the corner, so they tried to refit the Hermes-13 and convert it into a vehicle that would take selected personnel (mainly themselves) off-planet, destination yet to be determined.

Last edited:

m_s0

Arcane
Don't take this the wrong way, but it's worth getting a literate native English speaker (and obviously a Fallout fan) to go through all of the text for that extra layer of polish.

hexer

Only two words - less fedex quests. That's the one of the two (after watered down atmosphere) reasons why I liked Fallout 2 less.

I wrote about 120 new quests (some are for the original Fallout 2 locations). A few of them are probably fedex quests so I'll review them again this weekend.

Also hope that it will be better than removed/restored content from Restoration Project (like Abyss and Primitive Tribe, where only the music was good).

By Abyss from Restoration Project you mean EPA?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's worth getting a literate native English speaker (and obviously a Fallout fan) to go through all of the text for that extra layer of polish.

Of course, I'll hand over everything into more competent hands for playtesting and review.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
By Abyss from Restoration Project you mean EPA?

No, the copy location of Cathedra from Fallout1 with drunking monks, broken waterpump and infested caverns below.
Father Tully send you here.

EPA and Den Residental were best part of RP, Abbey (that's the correct location name, pardon) and Primitive Tribe not.

Music is done? Can't wait to listen them.

hexer

I forgot to ask...

Should I leave talking deathclaws as they are or replace their dialogs with low intelligence dialogs? Or even something more simplistic than that (grunting, mimicking)?
The meaning behind their words would remain the same of course.

I've been thinking lately on how to avoid cluttering the world map.

How about merging some of my areas with some existing towns that lack content?

Molder + Gecko
Raiders + Trench
Godtown + Broken Hills
Shipyard + San Francisco

What do you think?

hiver

I thought that it was established that Hubologists didn't invent them but that they existed earlier.
yeah, sorry :P
I was thinking more in terms of Fallout 1 - and maybe fallen to thinking how that whole area, san Francisco and their flight with the shuttle wasnt a very liked part of the game - and so on.

hexer

Hi guys! Just wanted to say that I got an opportunity to work on something much bigger than my expansion pack for Fallout 2. The project is Fallout related as well and I'll get a chance to incorporate my work into it. See you in a couple of months when I return with new stuff! Thanks to everyone who brofisted my work!

m_s0

Arcane
Any info available on that thing that you're contributing to?

hexer

I got an opportunity to work on Van Buren recreated in Fallout 2 engine :) :) :) :) :) :)
P.S. This project is unrelated to any previous attempts to create Van Buren

m_s0

Arcane
Vapourware then :negative:

Good luck to you guys, but projects of such scope don't end well.

I doubt Van Buren would have had 120 quests, so it might actually have a smaller scope. :M

Can you post some more screenies hexer? Dat bridge.

I forgot to ask...

Should I leave talking deathclaws as they are or replace their dialogs with low intelligence dialogs? Or even something more simplistic than that (grunting, mimicking)?
The meaning behind their words would remain the same of course.

I'd leave them as they are. It's initially a bit weird that they talk so perfectly, but they have undergone several kinds of mutation both natural and engineered, so it's understandable. Plus their relationship with humans shows they're very intelligent and "dumb" dialogue would make them look the opposite. You could maybe add some sort of speech impediment, like a stutter or how a sssssnake talkssss like thisss (but probably not as cartoonish). This would have more or less the same effect, without making them sound less smart than they are.

I've been thinking lately on how to avoid cluttering the world map.

How about merging some of my areas with some existing towns that lack content?

Molder + Gecko
Raiders + Trench
Godtown + Broken Hills
Shipyard + San Francisco

What do you think?

Sounds like it would work, I was already associating those locations with each other to begin with. But I think there's lots of empty space on the map, there's a long way to go before it feels cluttered.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
New screens look good!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom