Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Fall: Last Days of Gaia

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Ive been trying to get this game since after years of waiting the english release was cancelled. This fucker was my Duke Nukem forever. I saw it earned some good potatoes, but over the years every time ive downloaded and tried to figure out patching the english translation i am unable to get it to run.

I gave up years ago. first off: is this game worth playing at all? It makes me yearn for it to be somewhere between Wasteland2 and Fallout1.
Second: Is there an english translation that works and whats the best way to get this uberschmerz running and playable?

Fill me in on the brat. is it fat, is it juicy, is it the wurst?

m_s0

Arcane
From what I recall you need to copy the files into the main directory, not the mod folder.

As for the game itself, I don't remember it being good, but beyond that I really can't say much since it's been a long time.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
AFAIR it's not worth it. It tries to do the right things, but fails miserably.

Gord

Arcane
Played it years ago, managed to finish it, too. Don't remember much about it.

It does some things ok-ish, but falls flat in many aspects. Combat was quite messy, a lot of options (like stealth) worked poorly, story is ok but has some pretty stupid moments*.
Interestingly it doesn't look much worse than Wasteland 2. :M (well, a bit maybe)
Imo, you won't miss much by not playing it.

My favourite: The "president" of the faction you originally work for shows up without any reason right in the middle of a camp of the faction you (and he) fight against and after a major info-dump he flees on a motorbike by jumping over the fence or something. WTF.

Last edited:

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
all right then. the curiosity had been bugging me for years, but it may not be worth the trouble.
Alien Logic was one of the first games I bought and never got it to work with my pc, that one was almost worth the ten year wait.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had some fun at the beginning, but the retardedly short range, and bad UI got the better of me. I much preferred their previous Soldiers of Anarchy.

Telengard

Arcane
I spreche enough Duetche to get by back when it came out, and even as disjointed and half-assed as my German reading was, it was better than the English translation. Other than the setting, the game didn't really have anything going for it, and it only gets setting points because post-apoc games weren't a big thing then. Released today, it would just be lost in the crowd of imitators.

I put the game on par with the Russian hack jobs - a way to pass the time during the Dark Times of RPGlessness, but nothing you'd actually want to spend time with if there's anything better. In fact, you'd be better of spending your time getting Twilight 2000 to work. At least then, even though the game sucks, you could have some fun making characters with the potato-speak skill.

I got this at around 2007 I think, english translation. Started well, but...

1) Combat is RTwP utter shit. The main "tactic" consists of picking the best weapon for your team members, then concentrating fire on a single enemy until it dies, eat some food or drugs for healing, find another target, repeat until WINRAR.

2) The enemies are mostly unispired, boring bad dudes with guns and stuff.

3) I like the moneyless barter system.

4) Their engine is utter shit and their graphics disproportionally heavy.

5) I like some of their character system ideas (like gainig proficiency with a specific weapon, or the "skill perks".

6) Writing is ok.

7) Setting seems uninspired. I like the innovative way the apocalypse happened, but that was it.

8) I like the fact you can DRIVE vehicles across the damn map, surely makes many things less of a hassle.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Ive been trying to get this game since after years of waiting the english release was cancelled. This fucker was my Duke Nukem forever. I saw it earned some good potatoes, but over the years every time ive downloaded and tried to figure out patching the english translation i am unable to get it to run.

I gave up years ago. first off: is this game worth playing at all? It makes me yearn for it to be somewhere between Wasteland2 and Fallout1.
Second: Is there an english translation that works and whats the best way to get this uberschmerz running and playable?

Fill me in on the brat. is it fat, is it juicy, is it the wurst?
I can't find a torrent version with seeds, but if you get lucky and can find a download of the original german version, you should:
  1. patch it to 1.10, http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4219 (use the 1.9 to 1.10, new speech files and the top download link)
  2. install the english mod: http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?175513-The-Fall-English-language-mod
  3. consider the xp mod (levels out kill XP, so not only the killer gets credit) amongst others: http://thepit.ja-galaxy-forum.com/index.php?t=msg&th=21743&goto=330994&#msg_330994
There's a lot of versions floating around. The basic "The Fall: Last days of Gaia", an Extended and a Reloaded (not warez) version. Extended patched the base game up to 1.XX, which made it more of a release candidate than the buggy version that was released. Reloaded is the ultimate version, patched to 1.10 with improved textures and new quests (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall:_Last_Days_of_Gaia)

FWIW, I've never played it. I just ordered the reloaded version from the German Amazon after I saw this thread and did some reading. I remember when this was in development, and I'd like to give it a shot. From reading the wiki, ex-BIS guys worked on it. That must be how I knew about it.

Also, the english patch does NOT work on the spanish version from what I've read. I did find a 1.9 gb google drive download of the 1.10 spanish version with the english patch included, but the .rar was password protected so I bought the fucker.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Appreciate the information. I'll probably go as far as finally getting it to work, i went through the steps before but it was just incompatible with my laptop card. at least experiencing its shittiness firsthand will let me bury the wonder forever

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I still have an original german copy. Started it once, but shitty performance stoped me and i forgot it. And now, with all the incline, i don't see me coming back.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I got my Reloaded version from German amazon. It came patched to 1.10.1 which is the most up-to-date and removes the cd check / starforce shit. It also means you don't need to download any patches.

For those that are confused on how to install the English language mod (or others), don't use the mod folder! you want to drag the zones, scripts, music etc folders into The Fall's root folder. This mimics the archive structure of the .ubn files. The root folder is like the override folder from the IE games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom