Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fall from Heaven creator joins Stardock

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Announcement ]</strong>

<a href="http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1" target="_blank">Derek Paxton</a> (aka Kael) has jumped on board the <a href="http://www.stardock.com/about/newsitem.asp?id=2056" target="_blank">Stardock team</a>.
<blockquote>Stardock Entertainment, developer and publisher of award-winning PC games, announced today that Derek Paxton has joined the studio as senior producer and will oversee Stardock's ongoing development and expansions of the recently released fantasy strategy game, Elemental: War of Magic (www.elementalgame.com).

Paxton is the creator and lead designer of the Fall from Heaven series of fantasy strategy games. Prior to joining Stardock, he was an external consultant for Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword and contributed to several of Firaxis's games including the recent Civilization V.

"This is the opportunity to marry my professional project manager career with my passion for game design," said Paxton. "I'm especially excited to work with the talented people at Stardock who have always been focused on creating great PC strategy games. I'm currently immersing myself in the world of Elemental, and I think everyone will be excited to see what is coming from Stardock Entertainment."

Stardock CEO, Brad Wardell, will serve as the executive producer and lead AI developer on Elemental.

Wardell stated, "Stardock has experienced continued growth from its various gaming and enterprise products as well as our digital distribution platform, Impulse. As a result of our loyal fan base and successes, we have been fortunate to be able to attract some of the top talent from across the industry. Derek brings to Stardock a unique blend of strategy game design knowledge and a great deal of project management experience from his non-gaming career."
</blockquote><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</a></p>

Multi-headed Cow

On one hand, fuck Stardock to death. On the other hand, he probably won't be as laughably incompetent as Wardell and that might mean Stardock might do something good.

Sorta wish he didn't join Stardock and tried to get in with Firaxis or something though.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Hmm...so wait, the guy who drops things half way and has multiple people cleaning up his work, joins a team that likes to release beta-test software. Yay, what miracles will they achieve together !

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
mondblut said:
So there goes the standalone FFH? Too bad.

It wasnt supposed to be a strategy game but some kind of dungeon crawler set in Kael's super special setting.

Seriously, I liked FFH as a strategy game based on Civ, not his 'writing' or ideas. Perhaps teaming up with dudes actually making strategy (as bad as it is) wil turn out to be ok.

mondblut

Arcane
Well, I just tried Elemental and it was quite appaling. Once again Wardell proves he knows all the right buttons by the book, yet is absolutely unable to make a game fun.

Shuma

Scholar
He didn't even hit the right buttons with Elemental.

And I agree that Kael's super-sekret project was nothing of consequence; the stories and characters of the world in FFH are nothing remarkable. They are, however, much better than Elemental. Here's hoping he can polish that turd until it shines! He's got his work cut out for him, that's for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom