Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eyestabber's in-depth guide to DR/AoD mechanics

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Any tips for scolopendrae/plants fights?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Any tips for scolopendrae/plants fights?
Piercing arrows + torso shots for the centipedes.

Your tank with the higest defense, give him a shield with good vsRanged, pump him full of antivenom in the positioning phase, and have him up front to draw all the plant spikes. Rest of team should plunk away at plants with barbed arrow headshots. Dodge and shield vsRange stack fyi.

Trash Player

Scholar
Scolopendrae have like 4 DR, you two must be mixing them up with the scorpions.
Real tip: they get no AoO and can only attack once if they move, so kite them with a choke point, or go hog wild with spears

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Scolopendrae have like 4 DR, you two must be mixing them up with the scorpions.
Real tip: they get no AoO and can only attack once if they move, so kite them with a choke point, or go hog wild with spears

Scolopendra are really manageable if you have high Str and go for fast attacks (can use 1 sharpen stone for 3 of them and 4 of them), 4 dr is not much. Or you can line them up and use power shots, one of them evades but next one (behind) is hit.

Tigranes

Arcane
Alternatively, if you have, say, 9 or 10 defence, plants can't reliably hit you with either melee or ranged. You can lure a scol to the plant's melee range, and since their melee attack hits all 8 squares around them, you can get the plants to kill the scols for you. It's useful if you've, say, pumped def but not off and you're wasting time killing the scol.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Alternatively, if you have, say, 9 or 10 defence, plants can't reliably hit you with either melee or ranged. You can lure a scol to the plant's melee range, and since their melee attack hits all 8 squares around them, you can get the plants to kill the scols for you. It's useful if you've, say, pumped def but not off and you're wasting time killing the scol.

Not really.

At 10 Dodge, the plants can still reliably hit you in melee range but in around 10 ranged attacks, maybe only 1 or 2 will hit.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've had plants kill scols many a time - it usually takes ~4 attacks from the plant, and you would get hit 0-1 times with 10 dodge and small armour penalties.

If you have the offence to take out the scol youraelf, it is obviously better to stay ranged with plants.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Just beat the emp with my weird 3 dodgers + 1 no defense party. The enforcer was a big road block, but once I got that sweet sweet steel, the constructs and emp weren't bad. Now time to go above ground...

Emmanuel2

Savant
In an effort to refute the the statement that plants won't be able to reliably hit you of which we can assume that their chance to hit is <25, I did a small test.

Using a character with 10 DEX, 10 CON, 10 Dodge, and with an armor penalty of only 3, I had 127 Defense Rating. With 54/60 HP and 2 DR, I can only take 5 hits max. I had a shield for some vsRanged. In 10 attempts, after killing the scol, I had the plant attack me until I died.

1. 5 out of the 11.
  2. 5 out of the 13.
  3. 5 out of the 14.
  4. 5 out of the 17.
  5. 4 out of the 19.
  6. 4 out of the 15.
  7. 3 out of the 10, died from poison.
  8. 4 out of the 15
  9. 4 out of the 14
  10. 3 out of the 10, died from poison and a ranged attack.

In the end of the 10 attempts, their chance to hit is approximately 30.43% (out of the 138 attacks, 42 hit) which is around 1 hit per 3.28 melee attacks made by the plant. Of course, in the context of the game this is discounting the fact that you can get poisoned, get hit by the vanilla scolopendra which has a hit chance that's nothing to scoff at, get hit by the ranged attacks of the other, etc.

I did this before going to my next class (since I'm also interested in finding out) which explains the <50 samples.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You can find a
power tube
at the end of the tunnel, but you have to waste resources. It's a tough fight.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
You can find a
power tube

Depends on build.

With spearman its 1 berserk potion. They kill themselves.

With archer, its 1 liquid fire potion and 1 berserk potion. 2-shotting them.

With sub-par builds you can lure them to doorway and kill 1 by 1.

agris

Arcane
Patron
You can find a
power tube
You can also access the chest from an alternative route (the bridge that's down) later, but still before you can use any of the contents of the chest. Resource-wise, it probably makes more sense to wait until then, although it's a fun fight to take on earlier.

Tigranes

Arcane
In an effort to refute the the statement that plants won't be able to reliably hit you of which we can assume that their chance to hit is <25, I did a small test.

Using a character with 10 DEX, 10 CON, 10 Dodge, and with an armor penalty of only 3, I had 127 Defense Rating. With 54/60 HP and 2 DR, I can only take 5 hits max. I had a shield for some vsRanged. In 10 attempts, after killing the scol, I had the plant attack me until I died.

1. 5 out of the 11.
  2. 5 out of the 13.
  3. 5 out of the 14.
  4. 5 out of the 17.
  5. 4 out of the 19.
  6. 4 out of the 15.
  7. 3 out of the 10, died from poison.
  8. 4 out of the 15
  9. 4 out of the 14
  10. 3 out of the 10, died from poison and a ranged attack.

In the end of the 10 attempts, their chance to hit is approximately 30.43% (out of the 138 attacks, 42 hit) which is around 1 hit per 3.28 melee attacks made by the plant. Of course, in the context of the game this is discounting the fact that you can get poisoned, get hit by the vanilla scolopendra which has a hit chance that's nothing to scoff at, get hit by the ranged attacks of the other, etc.

I did this before going to my next class (since I'm also interested in finding out) which explains the <50 samples.

That's certainly higher than my anecdotal experience, which I suggested as 0-1 times out of 4 (and which I would have guessed at around 20%). Hats off to you, sir.

I will reiterate that it's never a good idea to just walk up to the plants and stay there for no reason. The plants-hit-scols tactic was only an option for when you have dodge/HP to spare but find yourself unable to hit the scol reliably (and/or get hit by the scol too much while killing the plants first).

In most situations, it makes sense to smash the scol first then deal with the plants from range at leisure.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone know what the total, optional fights included, SP awarded pre-emperor is for a solo CHA2/INT4 character? And how the SP are split when you have 1/2/3 companions? I'm weighing the viability of a 4/8/4/4/10/10 build. It hinges on the 30% SP bonus being worth it.

Vault Dweller, Elhoim?

Emmanuel2

Savant
I will reiterate that it's never a good idea to just walk up to the plants and stay there for no reason. The plants-hit-scols tactic was only an option for when you have dodge/HP to spare but find yourself unable to hit the scol reliably (and/or get hit by the scol too much while killing the plants first).

And I thank you for making one of my runs a bit easier since I never thought of doing it before. :salute:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Third time is the charm, maybe?

Each fight gives a set amount of SP that gets divided. There's a modifier depending on the number of party members:

4: Full amount gets divided.
3: 90%
2: 80%
1: 50%

So, if a fight gives 20 SP, with a party of 4 you get 5 for each. With a party of 3 it's 90% of 20 (18), and it's 6 for each. Party of 2, 80% of 20 = 16/2 party members, 8 each. Solo would net you half, 10 SP. Then, intelligence bonus gets applied.

Up the emperor fight, around 750. So, around... 425, 340, 255, 212.5 for 1-2-3-4 without int.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Eyestabber

You might want to update the first post to include this info. It takes 150 SP to get R10, 95 for R8 and 25 for R4, fyi.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Eyestabber

You might want to update the first post to include this info. It takes 150 SP to get R10, 95 for R8 and 25 for R4, fyi.

I'm at the beach atm with not-so-reliable internet connection. But since I have a lot of downtime in between dives, I'll probably work a bit on the guide during the next few days. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom