Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Eye Cancer poll

Which cause eye cancer?

• Motion blur

Votes: 84 49.1%
  • Color "correction" (Piss Filter)

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Depth of field

Votes: 69 40.4%
  • Lens flares

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • HDR

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Low FOV

Votes: 50 29.2%
  • 30fps cinematic frame rate cap

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Grain filter

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • BLOOM!

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Votes: 73 42.7%
  • Chromatic Aberration

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Ban OP

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DoF and Bloom!

Voted all of the above, with the caveat that Bloom/HDR can look decent if you tweak it to be about 75-90% weaker than how most games use them.

Also, poll needs to include Chromatic Aberration, which deserves the ultimate "what the fuck were you even thinking, dumbfuck" award for devs who use it.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I voted all of the above, but wish I could have just picked more than 3 instead. Honestly, HDR and bloom can be used to good effect (though they are usually overused), and I've even played games where film grain was done well (namely Dark Corners of the Earth). Everything else not only causes cancer, but is itself the cancer.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm kind of regretting adding the "ALL OF THE ABOVE!" choice. It'd be more interesting to see what people hate most :3

Turjan

Arcane
  • DOF - it can be used sensibly either according to it's stated purpose, or "creatively" (Skyrim), but it usually isn't instead being used to create some parody of vision as understood by a blind person (or at least someone who's never been outside) based on sketchy descriptions. It's one of the things I tend to disable before starting the game for the first time.
  • Motion Blur - Less disgusting than misused FOV but even less likely to be used sensibly (can it be used sensibly in the first place? - maybe some minimal one to avoid strobe effect).
  • Low FOV - ok, why the fuck? What's the fucking point? Actually I think I get it - just like normal human peripheral vision (almost 180 degrees) would look weird mapped on a scree in front of your face, mapping the usual 90-120 degrees onto a distant TV screen would give similar fish-eye look. Yet another reason why consoletards and all the other trash who want to play games from their TV couch should be dragged out into the street and shot in the head.
That was basically my pick, for the same reasons.

Things like Bloom or HDR can be done right or wrong, so it depends. The same is true for color filters. Lens flares are mostly stupid, but not always. I'm usually fine if the framerate stays above 15. In order to notice film grain, I probably have to use my reading glasses, and it may look good. Which leaves those three offenders up there.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I thought of one more:
pop-in rendering

instant eye cancer
just look at the latest twitcher 3 video

pippin

Ur mom.
Also most of the things listed above, and Depth of Field and Motion Blur in particular.

TripJack

Hedonist
definite tie between motion blur and DoF, though to be fair i don't play console shit so i've never experienced 30 fps cap

motion blur is something your crappy monitor and your eyez already do, depth of field is just fucking dumb

Raapys

Arcane
I voted all the above. Hate it all.

Bloom and HDR could get a pass if devs had any idea how to use them, but they don't. The number of games that don't massively overdo those effects is close to nill. All the rest of them are just bad/unwelcome no matter how well implemented. Even at best they're a minor annoyance.

DraQ

Arcane

Video games aren't real life and dont have to follow the same rules. For example talking to a person in a 3d rpg and the camera focuses on the npc I talk to/blurs the rest of the enviroment, I like it. It's simply a nice visual effect that i like.
If you don't follow the rules human senses follow, you're bound to quickly arrive in
:prosper:land.

DoF when talking to someone isn't entirely dissimilar to how an eye works, as talking to someone is usually done close up, the problem is that majority of DoF use falls into such peculiar applications as making everything past several meters blurry for some reason, which doesn't make fucking sense as depth of field increases when you focus on objects further out, so unless you're looking at something right in your face you'll see sharply up to infinity.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
*clicking the option*
You may select up to 3 choices.
You fucked up the poll.
It's not molecular science ffs. Ask you cat about objects to scratch and he choose all of them.

Raapys

Arcane
DoF when talking to someone isn't entirely dissimilar to how an eye works, as talking to someone is usually done close up, the problem is that majority of DoF use falls into such peculiar applications as making everything past several meters blurry for some reason, which doesn't make fucking sense as depth of field increases when you focus on objects further out, so unless you're looking at something right in your face you'll see sharply up to infinity.

But you already have that effect. Why do you want to double it?

To clarify, when you're focusing on one part of the screen with your eyes, the other parts automatically fall out of focus. There's no need to artificially enhance the effect.

DraQ

Arcane
  • DOF - it can be used sensibly either according to it's stated purpose, or "creatively" (Skyrim), but it usually isn't instead being used to create some parody of vision as understood by a blind person (or at least someone who's never been outside) based on sketchy descriptions. It's one of the things I tend to disable before starting the game for the first time.
  • Motion Blur - Less disgusting than misused FOV but even less likely to be used sensibly (can it be used sensibly in the first place? - maybe some minimal one to avoid strobe effect).
  • Low FOV - ok, why the fuck? What's the fucking point? Actually I think I get it - just like normal human peripheral vision (almost 180 degrees) would look weird mapped on a scree in front of your face, mapping the usual 90-120 degrees onto a distant TV screen would give similar fish-eye look. Yet another reason why consoletards and all the other trash who want to play games from their TV couch should be dragged out into the street and shot in the head.
That was basically my pick, for the same reasons.

Things like Bloom or HDR can be done right or wrong, so it depends. The same is true for color filters. Lens flares are mostly stupid, but not always. I'm usually fine if the framerate stays above 15. In order to notice film grain, I probably have to use my reading glasses, and it may look good. Which leaves those three offenders up there.
Well, pretty much everything besides lens flares and low FoV (unless you're a camera) can have legitimate use (ok, also 30FPS cap, but it's rather unintrusive, it merely means the game won't run as fluently as it potentially could, but 30FPS is already quite fluent).
The problem is glaring abuse and misuse of all that stuff.

As for lens flares I considered ticking them off but then thought that most people can't tell the difference between lensflare (which only appears if you're a camera or a cyborg) and glare (which is what you see when looking straight at bright light source), while on the respective screen there was just a glare and some "dusty lens" effect that's not nearly as offensive as lensflare as your own eyelashes will produce similar effect if you squint at the bright light.

pop-in rendering
Wots poop-in rendering?

DraQ

Arcane

But you already have that effect. Why do you want to double it?
I don't have a holographic screen.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
pop-in rendering
Wots poop-in rendering?
like when you fuck around in an open world and you see shit popping into vision in the distance

look how stuff just appear on the street
2438427-5152273152-ku-xl.gif

Raapys

Arcane
I don't have a holographic screen.
I hath clarified my intention in an edit.

As an additional point, I'd argue that the camera does not reflect your eyes so much as your head and field of view. If DoF were to be a standard effect, which I'm entirely against, it should be based on where your eyes are looking, not where your head is turned. You're not necessarily looking at the middle of your screen.

Machocruz

Arcane
The fruits of "photorealism," people. It's become a trigger word to me now because of it's misuse by gamer and film FX dickwads, because if you're trying to recreate a convincing illusion of immersive, 3D space, referencing photography/cinematography is retarded outside of aping style. But since plebs don't know the difference and think cameras capture visual reality at 100% accuracy, we'll continue to see these aberrations. If it were up to me, I'd banish photo reference and have the art team take their gear outside and work from real landscapes. This is what Disney and other animation studios did/do.

Multi-headed Cow

Motion blur, DoF, and low FoV. Basically everything on the list CAN be annoying as shit but those three are the worst offenders to me, the rest I usually just leave on. I'll typically leave motion blur and DoF on in everything at first then turn it off within 15 minutes, and low FoV can be absolute murder. Depends on the game (In first person it bugs me way more, low FoV third person bugs me less) but when it bugs me it REALLY bugs me.

pippin

Textures popping out of nowhere will always be a problem with open world games. That's actually why I think that design choice should be dropped altogether, or at least stop trying to pretend you're actually playing in an "open world".
The FOV thing is something I noticed recently, with modern shooters and action games. I never knew why people would complain about getting dizzy while playing first person games; the problem is most of them don't actually understand the concept of FOV.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Motion Blur and Depth of Field. Getting dizzy is fun.

Filters are probably the least offensive. They're unnecessary, but you have to really go overboard with them to make a difference for me.

I thought of one more:
pop-in rendering

instant eye cancer
just look at the latest twitcher 3 video

That's not an intentional effect, just a limitation of hardware or developer ineptitude. The rest of the poll is shit that devs intentionally add in thinking the game gets better with them (maybe not in the case of 30 FPS, but they pretend its intentional at least).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom