Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Eye Cancer poll

Which cause eye cancer?

• Motion blur

Votes: 84 49.1%
  • Color "correction" (Piss Filter)

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Depth of field

Votes: 69 40.4%
  • Lens flares

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • HDR

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Low FOV

Votes: 50 29.2%
  • 30fps cinematic frame rate cap

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Grain filter

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • BLOOM!

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Votes: 73 42.7%
  • Chromatic Aberration

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Ban OP

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Right mens. Which of these "next gen" 3D efects ruin games the most?

Our contestants:

Motion blur
motionblur2.jpg.jpg

'nuff said. Excessive motion blur whenever you turn the camera

Bloom
bloom.jpg

Color correction
In the Grimdark near future, everything is covered in piss
5508733942_eb5c99e3cb_b.jpg

Depth of field
This is what the world looks like when I don't wear glasses
1280x-1

Lens flares
scTw9my.jpg

HDR
Blooms little brother
hdr.jpg

Low Field of View
Who needs peripheral vision?
TripleheadCompare.jpg

30 FPS frameerate cap
It's cinematic guize!!!
Ubisoft.png

Grain filter
Omg random noise! Much grit! So cinematic!
2_grain.jpg

Chromatic Aberration
By popular demand

i3JcSbHPvESEO.png

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
MOTION BLUR and DEPTH OF FIELD

smudgy shit are the worst offenders IMO

bloom is irritating and something I turn off if I can, but it's not a deal-breaker in my book

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Definitely motion blur and dof. I can stomach everything else, and some of that can even be sometimes used to good effect, but by God almighty, I've never seen a game that wouldn't disgust me with the fucking blurring.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Motion Blur and Dof here too, who actually likes these?

When I turn around in RL the world doesn't become a blurry mess and if it would I'd visit a brain surgeon

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Everything on the list. The most hated by me are Motion Blur, Depth of Field and Film Grain.

Executr

Cipher
All of them, but particularly low FOV because of motion sickness.

(Goddamn Metro 2033!!! :argh: Could only play the Dead Space games in 1hr bursts before throwing up)

A user named cat

DOF is for photography (namely portraits) and occasional film scenes, not video games and especially not distant landscapes. We don't walk around in life with f1.2 camera lenses attached to our eyeballs, so I'm not sure what devs are even attempting to simulate by abusing bokeh. I can't think of any game where it worked even remotely well.

DraQ

Arcane
  • DOF - it can be used sensibly either according to it's stated purpose, or "creatively" (Skyrim), but it usually isn't instead being used to create some parody of vision as understood by a blind person (or at least someone who's never been outside) based on sketchy descriptions. It's one of the things I tend to disable before starting the game for the first time.
  • Motion Blur - Less disgusting than misused FOV but even less likely to be used sensibly (can it be used sensibly in the first place? - maybe some minimal one to avoid strobe effect).
  • Low FOV - ok, why the fuck? What's the fucking point? Actually I think I get it - just like normal human peripheral vision (almost 180 degrees) would look weird mapped on a scree in front of your face, mapping the usual 90-120 degrees onto a distant TV screen would give similar fish-eye look. Yet another reason why consoletards and all the other trash who want to play games from their TV couch should be dragged out into the street and shot in the head.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Motion Blur and Dof here too, who actually likes these?

When I turn around in RL the world doesn't become a blurry mess and if it would I'd visit a brain surgeon

When I turn around in RL the world doesn't become a blurry mess and if it would I'm probably drunk

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Motion blur, overused bloom (MY EYES OH GOD THEY ARE SEARED BY THE BRIGHTNESS OF A THOUSAND SUNS), fucking lens flares (WHY AM I A CAMERA?), and goddamn low FOV. Low FOV is probably the worst offender because it makes me all disoriented and shit.

DramaticPopcorn

I don't mind bloom and HDR anymore as long as they're subtle enough to not be offensive and intrusive. Motion blur and DoF I turn off whenever I can, though. And I cannot stand low FoV, as well.

thesoup

Arcane
At first I actually thought this thread was gonna be about comic sans.
But anyway, the correct answer to the poll is ALL OF IT.
I can kinda stomach HDR out of it, but everything else has to go if I'm playing a game.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I like DoF :)

I disable Bloom and HDR though, I cannot stand when colours and lights 'bleed' into each other.

Low FoV I only care for when it gives me nausea.

Colour correction when tastefully done can also enhance the visual quality.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Video games aren't real life and dont have to follow the same rules. For example talking to a person in a 3d rpg and the camera focuses on the npc I talk to/blurs the rest of the enviroment, I like it. It's simply a nice visual effect that i like.

I only hate it when it obstructs actual useful information from me as the player, so I dont see enemies in my peripheral etc

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Low FOV. It is inexcusable, makes me want to punch babies and strangle elders. Honestly, the feeling I get is similiar when I try glasses with prescription (my eye sight is fine without glasses)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom