Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Extra Pack for the Unofficial Arcanum Patch [Discontinued]

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
That dark castle in one of the towns seems like a rather good setting for a dark knight. Perhaps also one in the catacombs where they house the most terrible convicts?

Kogorn

Novice
My votes go for:

1. Haunted Castle
2. Torian Kel's temple (although this might contradict lore since he's supposed to be the "last" of the undead warriors.
3. Kerghans Castle
4. The place where you find the evil sword for Stringy Pete (forget what it's called)

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Kogorn said:
My votes go for:

1. Haunted Castle
There are tons of skeletons, and some zombies, as well. It's basically just one powerful Lich rasing the undead. A knight wouldn't really fit in, I suppose.
Kogorn said:
2. Torian Kel's temple (although this might contradict lore since he's supposed to be the "last" of the undead warriors.
Doesn't suit the setting, yes.
Kogorn said:
3. Kerghans Castle
Kerghan uses only Phantom Knights as his guards/slaves. It's a part of the lore, I guess, since there's one in his lab in Arcanum, as well.
Kogorn said:
4. The place where you find the evil sword for Stringy Pete (forget what it's called)
There are mostly fire type monsters in the Bangellian Deeps.

Kogorn

Novice
This might seem like a huge leap...but how about the catacombs under the First Panarii Temple? After all, the whole entombment of St. Mattox was K'an Hua's doing, so he might have set up some guardians in the catacombs to keep people from sneaking in through the sewers.

It's a bit of a stretch, but possible. Not sure if K'an Hua has any levels in Black Necro...

As a last ditch effort...you could also make them random encounters (like the orc bandits and assassins, although the dark knights wouldn't talk). Maybe after you get a bit of the way through the game, some dark elf friends of Kerghan could summon some after you.

It's a bit of a stretch, but since all other major possible areas are either full of monsters or have lore inconsistent with dark knights, the only way to get them in would be to speculate a bit.

The most lore friendly suggestion that I have, in closing, is just to make them random encounters at night in the bog area or something.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
video

close up:
blacksmith_test.png

Yes or no?

NOTE: Animation frequency and sound effects are placeholders.

Kogorn

Novice
Adds realism and gives the blacksmith something to do other than stand there idly.

I vote yes.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Drog Black Tooth said:
video

close up:
blacksmith_test.png

Yes or no?

NOTE: Animation frequency and sound effects are placeholders.
Yes.

Also, The north-western and south-eastern parts of the Morbihan Plains and the sourroundings of the Bangellian Deeps seem like good locations for some random encounter with dark knights.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
We're sorry, this video is no longer available.

Lain_13

Novice
Looks good.
I have some questions:
1. Can you force them to make 5-10 hits?
2. Can character talk to them when they work?
3. Did they stop working when character talk to them?
4. Are they work only when standing on this place or can start to do it at any random place?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Lain_13 said:
Looks good.
I have some questions:
1. Can you force them to make 5-10 hits?
It's a short animation. I can make it play a few times in a row, but that won't look as fluid.
Lain_13 said:
2. Can character talk to them when they work?
No.
Lain_13 said:
3. Did they stop working when character talk to them?
4. Are they work only when standing on this place or can start to do it at any random place?
The script doesn't run when the smith is in dialog or combat. And it checks the location as well, the animation plays only on this specific tile (when the smith is standing next to his anvil).

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Strange. The normal quality variant does work for me.

I agree with Lain_13. As it is, it looks kind of odd with the smith only hitting a couple of times and stopping. But I suppose as it is, it makes a nice change from having him stand around all day.

Cadaver

Novice
Add it.

Also, put up your own name in the fan graveyard. (But you beeing a pureïst, I gues you don't do that).

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Updated. Sorry, no new changes this time, just fixed compatibility issues with the new version of the UAP.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I don't want to create another thread, so I'll post this here.

I've been working on yet another Arcanum related project for some time. I believe I'm not the only one who was disappointed with weapons' sound effects in Arcanum, especially with guns and explosives' ones. They're just some generic booms and bangs, to be fair, and don't sound like real weapons at all. The mod I'm working on will be replacing sound effects for guns and explosives with high quality ones. So far, I have this:

Replaced sounds:
-Generic handgun fire
-Generic rifle fire
-Generic explosion
-Generic ricochet
(That's pretty much everything Arcanum has by default.)

Added sounds:
-Small explosion (Flash Grenade, Smoke Grenade, Stun Grenade, Knock Out Gas Grenade, Mustard Gas Grenade, Molotov Cocktail)
-Shotgun fire (Shotgun, Elephant Gun, Hunting Rifle, Rifle, Rusted Rifle, Clarington Rifle, Large Bore Vendigrothian Rifle)
-Sniper rifle fire (Looking Glass Rifle, Marksman Rifle)
-Hand Cannon fire
-Grenade Launcher fire

All of these sound effects (sans the sniper rifle and the grenade launcher) are demonstrated in this video. The PC is using a Hand Cannon, while Virgil has a Clarington Rifle, other guys have generic revolvers and there's also a guy with a Repeater Rifle. Notice the different explosion sounds as well.

In case you're wondering the sound effects have been pulled from Max Payne 2 and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, because these game have high quality sound libraries. Since there's no way I can record such quality sound effects myself, I have no choice but to borrow them from somewhere.

The mod will be available as a separate pack (not really dependent on the UAP) when the next version of the UAP gets released, so you have something to look forward to.

Feel free to comment on the video and post your suggestions.

I like the new effects, although I can't remember the old ones. Only one thing... the explosion at 0.24 sounds a little strange. Is it supposed to be like that? Note that I'm not an expert, so I don't know whether it's realistic or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom