Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Expeditions: Viking, the sequel to Expeditions: Conquistador

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by LESS T_T, May 7, 2015.

1. Stompa Arcane

Stompa
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Raping and pillaging on Christian lands? Why, that sounds like :incline: indeed. Most viking games have only the culture\mythology aspect but no raiding itself.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    You forget the most important part

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Who needs press releases when we have you and Roguey ?

^ Top  
  4. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    As far as Banner Saga vs E:C combat goes, I'm not sure which way I'd lean. Banner Saga's is way more abstracted with the chess board-like aspect to the terrain in most maps and the very limited unit placement options (which still matter). E:C has more varied terrain, a cover system, item use, different scenarios and a few different 'styles' of encounters.

Both could have been better and did have problems with getting repetitive after a while but both had their strengths. Funnily enough the character systems were kind of similar, in how you spend experience, level up characters and the injury systems were also somewhat similar.

I did find Banner Saga's armor/damage system more interesting though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Telengard Arcane

Telengard
    Parrots:
    Expeditions: World War II: Behind Enemy Lines
    Expeditions: Pirates of the Caribbean: Sparrow's Revenge
    Expeditions: Dragon Age: The Journey - a joint game production
    Expeditions: Undercover: Anti-Terrorism Task Force
    Expeditions: A My Little Pony Journey of Exploration and Self-Discovery

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Expeditions: Prosperland

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I was serious,real historic expeditions.What can be worse?Maybe Lewis and Clark or Columbus

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. I'm With Her Hobo Elf for prison Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Parrots:
    Where are all these Viking games that people keep talking about ITT? You guys seems to be operating on the assumption that anything slightly nordic automatically equals vikings. Anyway, I enjoyed Conquistador a lot. I have faith that these guys can make an interesting game about vikings (and not just norse warriors in general, which aren't always vikings FFS).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Hatred Unwanted

Unwanted
    Parrots:
    They should have covered the viking expedition to northern america just to throw people off.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Stompa Arcane

Stompa
    Parrots:
    Robert F. Scott's expedition to the South Pole. Nothing like spending the whole game wrestling with cold, hunger and exhaustion only to die never reaching your goal while your rival succeeds.

^ Top  
  11. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    Parrots:
    I have no idea why. But you can rest assured, that this is my personal goto place for RPG news

^ Top  
  12. Hatred Unwanted

Unwanted
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, while you're here, now that the player character will take a more active part in the expedition, will he also be subject to morale effects etc.?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Telengard Arcane

Telengard
    Parrots:
    I led with WWII, which is historical and had expeditions behind enemy lines. Anti-Terrorism expeditions into the near and far east are all too plausible a choice of setting (and could be set in the 80s). Modern Warfare: the Police Action is also viable, if a bit strained on challenge. Pirates of the Carribean would be out of their price range, but only requires a little more magic than was used in Conquistador. The only fake one is My Little Pony.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Behelit Educated

Behelit
    Parrots:
    I will not lie, I am disappointed with the setting. I wouldn't say a Norse setting is overused but neither is it uncommon. I was crossing my fingers for an Expeditions: Zululand or something we seldom see let alone play. I speculate they are doing this because being a Viking will sell better. There were many people that were turned off by the unfamiliar Spaniard warrior-explorer territory, Vikings will rescind that to a degree for which I can't blame them.

I have recalled my experience with the first Expeditions. It provided what few games have these days; atmosphere. Atmosphere is tricky because everything can be mechanically sound and consistent but if there is poor synergy there will hiccoughs. They sound like "I am playing a 14th level rouge." Expeditions has acceptable graphics, some underutilized classes with no worthwhile niche and not the most extraordinary gameplay but still enjoyable nonetheless. The writing quality accompanied by detailed portraits was a pleasant surprise and the music was absolutely stellar. A few delicate touches such as seeing your band increase in capability reflected by their equipment, terrified villagers holding a knife in their shaking hands and a deliberately overpowered cannon. A cannon that blasted "Fuck balance!" as it decimated the primitive people. You see, the negatives were satisfactory enough to not interrupt me being a conquistador.

I think the Viking setting has some potential. I think if they capture of the tone of omnipresence as they did with omnipotence in Conquistador by allowing you to raid the disorganized British isles, entrenched Franks and some Arabs for good measure, they'll succeed. If Logic Artists doesn't pull any punches, learn from a few of their mistakes and don't change that penchant for art design, writing and music. We'll have Vikings that aren't "Jack Sparrowed" as they are now. A lot of "if" but I have faith this will be a delectable and more profitable addition to the fledgling franchise.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. Mexi Learned

Mexi
    Parrots:
    Ehh... I know I said I don't care about the setting, but I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of creativity. Vikings seemed like the hot topic on the Expedition boards and stuff, but it's just a bit too plain. I was thinking it'd be something more exotic. I mean the Aztec/Spanish thing was absolutely awesome, amazing. Vikings just seems a bit too safe.

Still, a must buy because this crew is awesome.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. Kirkpatrick Savant

Kirkpatrick
    Parrots:
    Just optimize it well!

You could've cooked an egg on my old PC playing E:C.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. naossano Cipher

naossano
    Parrots:
    What about russians or genghis Khan next time ?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lucky Arcane

Lucky
    Parrots:
    The setting itself might not be that fresh, but games that try to somewhat accurately depict Viking culture are rare - let alone games that manage to make it work. We usually get 'cool' vikings and some Scandinavian gods, rather than something closer to what the actual Vikings were like. If they manage to avoid that and evoke a believable atmosphere, while working out some of the kinks still present in Conquistador, then this could be something quite special.
    Hopefully they'll choose to take the Hare Brained Schemes of finding a game type that works for them and then steadily improving on it as they release more games. The formula they have is good and I'd like to see them perfect it, rather than having them move on to something new just for the sake of change.

This is why I still like Vikings - The Strategy of Ultimate Conquest. It lets you do both the trading and the pillaging, without attaching some sort of arbitrary morality mechanic to it. It makes it feel like you're actually playing a Viking, rather than just a SCOURGE OF THE NORTH or some dude with an axe and loincloth.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. SirSingAlot Savant

SirSingAlot
    Parrots:
    Vikings? works for me...i mean even thought they were expeditioning the bloody way, it kinda fits the general scheme pretty good and u CAN make kinda interesting storylines with difficult moral decisions (from todays point of view) out of it.

Banner Sage was overhyped anyways and those Vikings hat helmets with horns, nuff said

^ Top  
  21. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Parrots:
    But, will we be able to insert nude mods?

^ Top  
  22. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    Guys... depends of how they gonna make the vikings, if I can lead an expedition to Greenland and kill some weird funny looking Inuits, I'm happy. Hardrada was bro too, he killed alot of those pussy looking Anglo saxons and those weird men that dress like women and hide on places they call "monasteries". There was alot of gold on those monasteries and virgin/not roo much used women too, they call them "nuns", those anglo saxons are strange, why keep alot of women closed on some place and not rape them?

^ Top  
  23. Luka-boy Arcane

Luka-boy
    Parrots:
    Preview of the average responses available to the player during conversations:troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. I'm With Her buzz for prison Arcane

buzz
    Parrots:
    Vikings or nordic/slavic mythology is the kind of "generic" and overused historical/fantasy setting that I never get tired off.

It doesn't even have to be ULTRA EDGY VIOLENT RAPE AND PILLAGE MODE vikings. One of my favorite games:
    [​IMG]

I'm so glad Logic Artists are doing a sequel. E:Q was awesomesauce and I really wish "Expeditions" turns into a mildly successful RPG franchise.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. cherry blossom Prophet

cherry blossom
    Parrots:
    Those disappointed with Vikings can wait for the third game: Expeditions - JIHAD

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)