Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Viking Previews & Interviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=327

On Thursday the 21st of May I met with Alex Mintsioulis from Logic Artists, in beautiful sunny Malmö to discuss their upcoming game Expeditions: Viking. With the success of Logic Art’s previous game, Expeditions: Conquistador (see also our review), a new game in the Expeditions series was eminent, this time featuring Vikings.

The premise for Expeditions: Viking, is that you’ve inherited a weak Viking clan after your father’s death. Your goal is to make this weak Viking clan stronger while fending off enemies. In order to do this you’ll have to travel to Britain in the 8th century and return to your stronghold, the Player’s Village, with loot and resources necessary to upgrade and expand the village. The Player’s Village was something Logic Artists decided to put in after people on their forums wanted access to a stronghold much earlier than in Expeditions: Conquistador. When you sail from your Player’s Village to attack or trade with Britain you can take up to 8 characters with you. After you arrive you can take 3-6 characters with you in combat.

Combat
When entering a village for the first time, there will be some choices to make. You can set up a trading post, establish a trade route, challenge the chieftain of the village to a duel or do a sneak attack on that village. If however, you kill everyone in a certain area, other people in Britain might have heard of you and will maybe not be so easily convinced to let you through their areas or trade with you.

For now, we chose to perform a sneak attack. We started exploring until we came to a wall where some of the bricks have fallen out. We entered the village and had our first combat encounter. As inConquistador, combat is turn-based, where each character can move up to 4 spaces before performing an action, like hitting the enemy or parrying. Or move 8 spaces, without having an action left. When entering into combat the view changes to the battlefield so we can see the combat in action.
If one of our characters suffers an attack of opportunity from the enemy, we can block the enemy’s attack. If successful we’ll take 25% less damage or no damage at all and also get the chance to attack the enemy.

Next up, we chose to do a special attack, in this case double feint. It’ll give us 3 attacks and if successful, it’ll deal 50% more damage and blind the enemy for two turns. However, special attacks do have a cool down time, so timing of the special attacks is essential here. After about half an hour or so, all the tribesmen in the village were dead. This obviously also meant that we wouldn’t get any additional quests from this area as we just wiped out the entire clan.

There are other strategies and tactics you can do in battle as well: You can choose to perform a sneak attack for example. However, this means that you can only move half your distance e.g. 4 squares. You’ll need to sneak if you want to trigger traps and you are also somewhat limited in options as you can't perform an attack of opportunity for example while sneaking.

In Conquistador you had a leader (on a horse) that led the people in battle. And in battles all you ever got to see was this leader. Based on community feedback, Logic Artists changed this. You're now able to see your whole team at once when moving around on the battlefield. When combat begins, the camera switches its angle so you're able to see both your and the enemy's characters battle each other.

Camp site

Like in Conquistador, you can only heal while you’re in your camp. When characters become injured during combat they will get a penalty that gets worse over time, which means that you’ll need to go down to your ship and exchange party members or travel to your camp to heal them.
This brings us to another change in gameplay that was a wish from the community: an upgrade to the tedious camping system found in Conquistador.

After you’ve arrived at your ship and you’ve clicked on it, a 2D overlay map will come up and you’re able to tell the ship to ‘voyage now’. It will then show a route back to the village or campsite nearby that might take e.g. 3 days to complete. After arriving at your camp or back in your Player’s Village, you can heal party members and you’ll need to order your characters to do various things, like gardening, forging, healing, crafting, or gather or grow food, using the resources you have looted, stolen or traded in the villages you’ve encountered in Britain. In this game your characters need to eat or else they will run out of stamina, after which they might become sick, cranky, hungry and eventually die. This means that like in Conquistador, there is a lot of strategic planning involved.

Other changes
Expeditions: Viking now has a customizable main character which means you can choose to play as a male or female while the UI provides the traditional armor and weapon slots. This is different from Conquistador where you only would have an icon representing your main character. Another way Viking is expanding on Conquistador’s gameplay is that the classes have been dropped. Instead, you’ll get experience points which you freely can distribute among your characters to help outline their stats and abilities and how they’ll react in battle and which weapons your characters will use.

Questions
I asked Alex the questions from Watchers Pladio and Archangel about magic weapons, mythological elements, bears, Nordic gods and skills in the game, as well as choice and consequence and here a summary of his answers: "There will be no magical weapons in this game. However, since this was a time where people believed in magic you might find a weapon that’ll boost your characters’ morale. These weapons can either be a spear of Odin or a weapon which has bone runes inserted. As such, it will be the characters perception of the weapons that will boost their morale."

In line with this, the Nordic Gods will not have a direct influence on the gameplay in any way. However, Alex gave an example from Conquistador in which a character went into cave and was exposed to some hallucinogenic fumes and experienced a meeting with a south American god. They might do the same forViking, but they haven’t yet decided how to represent them [the Nordic Gods] in the game.

As for skills, there will be three skillsets in the game: combat skills, passive skills and non-combat skills. The skill-trees and how they’ll work in the game are still being discussed. Certain skills will have certain prerequirements e.g. you can only choose a skill when you reach a certain level e.g. level 4 or 5. There will also be special quest for each of your characters that you can go on. They’re still discussing whether or not there will be any officer skills or an iron man mode in this game.

Choice and consequences are vital to this game. Alex explains: ”There is choice and consequence in this game and they are serious. Player agency is really important here”. For instance, you’re able to double-cross your enemies. You might have a trade relationship with tribe #1, but if you find out that you can get a better deal from tribe #2, you can turn on tribe #1 to make that happen. You can double-cross whoever you like, whenever you like, but with consequences.
There will also be difficult choices in this game, so you will regularly have to choose between bad choices and some less bad choices.

Wrap-up
The inspiration for this game comes, as Alex explains, from the Viking Sagas. Their creative director Jonas Vaever is very much into Vikings and the Viking Sagas, and he felt it would be great to build a game inspired by them. Both funny and serious things happen in the Viking Sagas. They tell about people who go out and have these great and grand adventures.
All in all, I’d say the inspiration is working: Expeditions: Viking looks to be a most promising game.

Release date: 2016, no exact date yet, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/e...ng-explores-norse-lore-as-historical-rpg.aspx

Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Viking Explores Norse Lore As Historical RPG

ExpeditionVikingPrvw-610.jpg

When Expeditions: Conquistador was released in 2013 after a successful Kickstarter campaign, developer Logic Artists danced on the line between strategy and RPG. Since that title’s release, the studio has taken feedback from fans to ultimately make the bold decision to convert the series into a full-fledged RPG.

Viking won’t eliminate the strategy elements of its predecessor. Instead, Logic Artists has found a way to adjust those to fit its vision for the sequel.

“Conquistador always had about as many RPG elements as it had strategy elements, so our approach has been to extrapolate the major RPG elements and to make them bigger, deeper, and more compelling,” creative director Jonas Wæver told us. “Ultimately, Viking still has to feel like a sequel to Conquistador, even though it’s a much more focused game in some respects, so instead of just cutting all the strategy-features from Conquistador, we’ve tried to find ways to twist those features in a more RPG-ish direction.”

Upgrade_UI.jpg

Some of the changes that make Viking feel more like an RPG are in presentation. For instance, discreet areas that you'll be able to explore are connected by a 2D overworld map that fans of Fallout and Fallout 2 will be familiar.

One of the most compelling elements though, is the setting. The Viking age isn’t one we see often. Wæver says there are benefits and challenges to working in this time period.

“The Viking age is both really easy and really challenging to deal with historically because written accounts are so sparse and so biased – the Norse didn’t really write a whole lot, since brevity is of the essence when you have to chisel your words into stones!” he says. “This gives us a lot of freedom to choose our own approach to the historical elements, but it also makes it difficult to find trustworthy sources to rely on for shaping our game world. Fortunately there are tons and tons of archaeological sources about the Viking age, so we’ve been relying on a lot of that to get the clothing, the architecture, the tools and weapons, and the ships just right.”

The story will focus on interpersonal relationships and the conflicts and alliances among the tribes. Wæver says he and his team are fortunate that Tolkien’s work was rooted in Northern European lore and gamers will have a touchstone when they play Viking.

Longhouse.jpg

The narrative is full of political intrigue, though in the harsh setting the Vikings endured. The game will begin as your father is murdered and you are thrust into the role of leader. Other tribes will attempt to exploit the situation, so you'll gather those loyal to you and set off for England.

From there, you’ll have choices. You can take the stereotypical path and plunder the land, or you can earn the trust of the locals and bring an overwhelming force back home to take back what’s yours.

Players will be part of a small group, though you’ll be able to hire mercenaries (that you can create) to beef up your forces. Conquistador featured a personality trait system that will carry over to Viking, giving your party members' opinions and reactions to the decisions you make.

Character_Creation_F.jpg

The game will also feature a flexible class system. You’ll be able to pick and choose from the available skills, and the game will assign a label that fits your profile. While Viking is historically rooted, there will be more fantastical elements as well.

Witchcraft isn’t magic per se, instead dealing in poisons and curses. The latter of these impacts superstitious enemies instilling status effects. It’s an interesting approach that takes into account the cultural beliefs of the era while retaining its historical foundation.

Expeditions: Viking is due for PC Fall 2016.

Polanski

Scholar
This looks really nice. Conquistador had a lot of great ideas and features, but for me it was more interesting than fun to play. I am very hopeful that Viking will be able to expand on the good parts and be a great game.

Also witchcraft could be awesome.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Oh hey, they have real armor and items this time :greatjob:

Must say, it's looking promising.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
New games that I'm looking forward to play in 2016:

Battle Brothers

Copper Dreams

Torment: Tides of Numenera

The new ITS game

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Battle Brothers

Copper Dreams

The new ITS game
I doubt Copper Dreams will be ready for 2016. When they were asked about it, they didn't even want to say by end of 2016. The KS only needs to happen soon.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Shadowfang, in-game it looks like a sunburn.
Avonaeon thanks for taking time to reply on my attempt of childish humour.
I wanted to poke at some of the more sensible posters and didn't expect to be taken seriously by you.

I am a fan of conquistador and am eagerly expecting vikings.

Btw are there any racial benefits?
Will a beserker benefit from a darker racial background?
:troll:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

Battle Brothers

Copper Dreams

The new ITS game

I doubt Copper Dreams will be ready for 2016. When they were asked about it, they didn't even want to say by end of 2016. The KS only needs to happen soon.

Yeah, you are right. I would replace Coopper Dreams with the Sits expansion then.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's possible that neither of those games is coming out this year.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://techraptor.net/content/expeditions-viking-an-audience-with-the-chieftain

Expeditions: Viking – Interviewing the Chieftain
Posted by: Mark Richard February 10, 2016 in Gaming, Interviews

Expeditions: Conquistador blended roleplaying and turn-based strategy to bring to life 16th century Mexico. Players trekked through lush spider-infested jungles with a dozen hardy companions (each more racist than the last) and clashed with native civilizations like the Aztecs. It was historical fiction packed with choices and a morality system that could lead to conflict within the group just as much as outside factions. This time the Danish developer Logic Artists are taking us to their cultural home turf with Expeditions: Viking.

expeditions-viking-armorer.jpg

Thrust into the leadership position of a weak Norse village after their father is killed, the player must summon their hairiest men and set out across the sea to explore the kingdoms of the British Isles. Gathering strength is key to the clan’s survival, so you’ll be raiding or forming political alliances to stave off plotting troublemakers looking to take advantage of the situation. Creative Director Jonas Wæver allowed me several questions on the subject, interpreting my attempt to pillage the coast of Denmark from a commandeered Ferry as misguided enthusiasm for his game. He’s not wrong.

TechRaptor: Conquistador leaned heavily towards historical fiction, I take it you’re committed to this approach for Expeditions: Viking and we won’t be seeing any horned helmets or such?

Jonas: We are using historical and archaeological references to bring the Viking world to life and that includes the armor and weaponry, so no – no horned helmets. At the same time, of course we want to be able to surprise players by bringing them into unexpected situations and taking the story in exciting directions. That creative tension is a big source of inspiration for us, we have to push ourselves a lot to make the story intriguing and surprising without compromising on the historical foundation.

expeditions-viking-character.jpg

TechRaptor: Based on screenshots, the character creator appears to have been extended from a mere portrait and stock gender-appropriate model to a fully customizable model complete with appearance and clothing options. How is this used to interact with the world of Expeditions: Viking? Is the player character expected to participate in combat rather than direct it from the sidelines?

Jonas: While in Expeditions: Conquistador the player character was only ever present on the world map, but never in battles, the player character in Expeditions: Viking will always be present and will indeed participate in all combat. One of the biggest fan requests was to have an avatar so players could feel like they were part of the action. We’ve taken that to heart and players will level and skill their player character just as they do with their followers. The player character is also the unit you control while exploring and adventuring with the entire party following your lead, standing shoulder to shoulder with them in combat.

TechRaptor: How does combat differ from the last game?

Jonas: The main difference really comes down to the weaponry. Vikings were adept with a variety of weapons, perhaps most famously the axe, but also sword and spear, bow and dagger – and shields of course. Each weapon comes with a set of associated skills that players can unlock and take as their characters level up. We’re keeping the underlying design philosophy of Conquistador’scombat, which is to keep the basic rule system simple, and then add variety with plenty of skills and abilities, and by changing the tactical situation as much as possible from battle to battle. In the last game, skills and abilities were tied to the character classes, which somewhat reduced the amount of variation we could get out of our enemy types – this time skills can be mixed and matched both by the player and the designers, so we have more freedom to shake things up. In addition to that, we’re working on implementing more ways to make each fight distinct – different environmental factors, more variety in victory conditions, and so on.

expeditions-viking-upgrades.jpg

TechRaptor: How does the player’s starting village work exactly, is it a central upgradeable base that can be returned to periodically?

Jonas: The player’s village is the central hub of the game, it is filled with its own politics and intrigue and players must be prepared to deal with threats both to the village and from within it. Players can return to their homestead any time they like to rest their huscarls and to govern the village as its chieftain, but crossing the ocean takes several weeks of in-game time. Additionally, you must return to your village every winter as the weather makes seafaring too dangerous.

A number of structures are upgradeable when you have the resources and thralls to do so, and these upgrades provide benefits to the village and for the party, and will ultimately play a role in determining the outcome of the story.

TechRaptor: Does the companion approval system make its return and offer the possibility of mutiny?

Jonas: Oh yes. Each member of your “hird” has a number of personality traits which cause them to gain or lose morale depending on your choices and actions. Morale will play a small role in combat, but more importantly, high or low morale will unlock new content and trigger particular events – such as mutiny or even a duel for leadership of the group.

TechRaptor: Can we have an example or two of some new traits or opinions party members can hold in Expeditions: Viking? The way they intermingled in Conquistador was really cool.

Jonas: The most important trait is each character’s attitude towards the concept of honour. Honour was a huge underpinning in Norse society, and whether a character is considered to be honourable or shifty (a nithing!) very often governs how they respond to your decisions. Another very important set of traits is whether the character is superstitious or skeptical, which determines how they perceive religion, folklore, and magic. A skeptical character may be less affected by seemingly supernatural occurrences, while a superstitious character would buy into that sort of thing much more. As a final example, where one of the major dichotomies in Conquistador was racism vs. open-mindedness, all the people you’ll be likely to encounter in Northern Europe in the late 700’s are various shades of pale, so in Viking, racism has been replaced by conceitedness – the character’s general attitude towards members of other clans or cultures.

expeditions-viking-hall.jpg

TechRaptor: After the release of Expeditions: Conquistador you added a free update called the Fabula event editor along with some online tutorials. Is the potential for modding something you’re considering exploring further?

Jonas: We’d love to support modding, especially now that Unity offers a full-featured free version of their editor for personal use. We didn’t see a whole lot of community-created content forConquistador, but that may have been because our editor could only modify the text of the game, which was very limiting. Once Viking is released, if it looks like there’s a great interest in modding it, we’ll see what we can do.

TechRaptor: I have a friend who can’t actually grow a beard. Could he still be clan leader or would the Vikings cast him out as a mutant?

Jonas: The Vikings were known for their grooming, and use of combs and razors. Your “friend” should probably not expect to get any free reputation points based on appearance, but there were other ways to gain respect in Norse society. How good are you – I mean, your friend – with a spear?

TechRaptor: Javelin champion of Wombles kindergarten, class of 89. Thank you for your time, Jonas. May the Norns be kind to you.

expeditions-viking-character-2.jpg

And so we come to the end of our exchange. Jonas provided an armed escort to a ship bound for England, forcing me to return home without any plundered furs or spices, yet the new information on this remarkable game series seemed far more valuable. Given that comradery and infighting was a lynchpin of the party dynamic in the last game, it’s nice to see it return in spades. The focus on the village as a central hub also sounds promising, as if they’ve massively expanded on the neglected base obtained near the end of Expeditions: Conquistador and made it central to the story right from the start. Perhaps most interestingly of all is the prospect of seeing the player character in action on the battlefield. Not only is this something fans have been clamoring for, but it makes perfect sense for the time period where leaders were expected to fight in the front ranks.

Expeditions: Viking is due to land on your shores sometime in the Fall 2016 for PC. You can sit there and shout till you’re Norse in the throat, but it’s not getting here any faster.

Mark Richard

Arcane
If you want to immerse yourself in a media trifecta, it’s got to be Expeditions: Vikings for games, Vikings for TV, and The Saxon Stories for books. I like to go all in with a theme, bombarding my senses until I’m standing over the body of my postman with a bloody axe in my hand and wondering what the hell happened.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Game is looking pretty slick.

Atomical You ought to give the thread a more informative name. People might miss it otherwise.

Mark Richard

Arcane
I've seen the footage and cast the runes. The signs are favourable. Deliver a great game and your name will be praised on the RPG Codex for a thousand generations. Fail, and your cheeks will burn with shame at the ridicule that awaits you.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Tell me true, did you guys get the sudden urge to club that idiot xbeau over the head and dump him into a dumpster during making of that video?
Because I did during watching of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom