Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Viking Released

Jrpgfan

Erudite
ew

Barbarian

Arcane
Just keep in mind the whole romance thing can be ignored, and much of the sjw stuff as well. It doesn't detract from it being a very good game and I think codexers should support this game and its developers just for the quality.

It never even closely becomes bioware tier

Didn't Bioware actually invent the whole bissexual/gay/lesbo/polyamorous romance options schitick? If so then what we have here is by definition biowarian. Also I read in the steam discussions that the witch is a lesbian romance option. Eww.

Anyway, it is like I mentioned, this isn't exactly new to the devs. Conquistador had strong independent amazon wymmin romance and hawt aztec warrior enrichmentation. The LGBT crap just lowers the bar.

hivemind

i romanced the amazon just because of how fucking amazing that unit was

Cynicus

Augur
Thanks fellas. I was a little worried. I'd hate to see a solid game ruined by that brand of insanity.

Didn't Bioware actually invent the whole bissexual/gay/lesbo/polyamorous romance options schitick?

Yes, Bioware opened Pandora's Aerie's Box with the BG2 romances and it has only gotten worse from there.

BTW, is the timeline thing in the factions menu a timer? What happens when it runs out?

Sizzle

Arcane
SJW characters. Check

Popamolism. Check

I’m not going to buy this game. Check

Dearest Vault Dweller,

please don't feature any women or homosexuals in your upcoming Colony Ship RPG.

Women and gays didn't exist in the past, and they sure as hell shouldn't exist in the future.

As I prepare for my 97th consecutive playthrough of Age of Decadence, all my thoughts and prayers go out to you, the savior of RPGs. You make Chris Avellone look like a little bitch.

Your biggest fan, advertising plant, and loving stalker,
Lurker King

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
What happens when it runs out?
You lose. :M

Edit: To quote one of the devs from steam forums...
It's not set up for you to fail, more as a reminder "I have to build a ship and gather my people before spring" or "I have to accomplish my goals in Britain before autumn".

You can absolutely do things in the order you want and have time to spare.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
~2900 simultaneous players, which is great! ~69% Steam reviews, which is less promising. Still, seems like a solid hit.

Pleased to hear a Kettil made it into the game, but it doesn't sound like he's living up to either of the Kettil Trouts. :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
~2900 simultaneous players, which is great! ~69% Steam reviews, which is less promising. Still, seems like a solid hit.

Pleased to hear a Kettil made it into the game, but it doesn't sound like he's living up to either of the Kettil Trouts. :(

Not sure 10,000 owners is a solid hit relative to how much they invested in the game.

You may be thinking in terms of Wadjet Eye-tier budgets

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Most of the negative reviews were due to the bugs.

My impression:
- Writing is okay? Pretty much Conquistador level of writing which keeps thing interesting
- Combat is too easy? I only play at hard but hardly face any challenges up to arriving in Scarborough. Compared to Conquistador which I find much harder.
- I think AI is worse than Conquistador?
- Battle preparation phase need to comes back. Most of the times the character start in a stupid formation. The close proximity start on lot of the battles, in addition in having no battle preparation phase really makes traps useless.
- The loot every container for crafting/homestead system is retarded.
- Bugs galore. The engine seems slow in updating some of thing in combat. For example the first stone throw my main character does in a battle always deal the same damage as his normal attack.

Question: how much story companion is there before departing? I got:
The archer guy, spear/knife gal (both default companion), the shield guy who challenges you, the berserker that attacked your village, the witch, the mother who gives you quest for treasure

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
~2900 simultaneous players, which is great!

Not sure 10,000 owners is a solid hit relative to how much they invested in the game.

You may be thinking in terms of Wadjet Eye-tier budgets
Steamspy always has a crazy lag to it. Steamcharts seems a better predictor. My problem may be less one of budgets and more one of the difference in simultaneous players on an adventure vs. an RPG. For a WEG game, 150 simultaneously players is fantastic, and even Broken Age barely broke 3,000. :D

Anyway, 2900 simultaneous players is ~20% Tyranny numbers and ~410% AOD numbers. Maybe I'm underestimating how big/awesome the Expeditions guys are -- I always peg them as a modest indie studio, so those seem like good numbers to me.

--EDIT--

Also InD_ImaginE's mention of "loot every container for crafting/homestead system" means I will never touch this game. Ah well, it'll keep my mind pure for FG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game has definitely found an initial audience and I guess that number will at least double. Bad Steam reviews plus lack of conventional ones (sup Harpsichord?) could prevent it from expanding much further though.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Also InD_ImaginE's mention of "loot every container for crafting/homestead system" means I will never touch this game. Ah well, it'll keep my mind pure for FG.

It's not as big of a deal as you might believe at first, since almost all of the containers/barrels only have small parts for crafting traps/potions (which I never used once on the highest difficulty and the rather small combat-areas and quick fights dont encourage their use either) while the actual village-building materials can all be collected during/after camping, or simply bought from traders. I myself thought that looting all those little barrels was pretty much mandatory, but once you get access to the first proper traders it's no big deal anymore. Raid a church, buy some wood, build palisades. Kill some monks, plunder their monastery, upgrade your longhall.

It does however help with some of the (mis)adventures during travelling/camping. Finding some rope here and there or having some vials to fill can help you out a little in one of those, I did stop looting most of the non-chest containers after a while and still have plenty sitting in my inventory completely unused however.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The level of looting in a normal cRPG is already at or above my tolerance, so if it's something that Codexers are specifically calling out, there's essentially no way I'll enjoy the game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I mean you can ignore them, but 2 of the most important materials (scavenge and leather) and to some extent, herbs, are mainly gotten from looting. Leather and herbs is somewhat more visible because there are some unique containers for them, but for scavenge, happy box opening.

MRY the level of needs of looting is pretty customize-able though. You can put the combat related things into the hardest difficulty while keeping the general needs for those materials (by reducing chance of deterioration, infection, etc) on easier settings.

jungl

Augur
the looting is very annoying but mass effect 2 scanning planets? That makes you want to shoot yourself in the face.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
I like the game. About the dialogues, I can say that it is just solid. Not bad, just solid to good. Meaning better than anything Bioware has done in the last decade.
It also is not pretentious like Numenera. It's concise and to the point. Enough choices and ways to handle stuff.

My problems are the bugs and the looting. This game could have stayed a little bit longer in the oven. But in the end, I give it a solid 7.5/10.

hivemind

The level of looting in a normal cRPG is already at or above my tolerance, so if it's something that Codexers are specifically calling out, there's essentially no way I'll enjoy the game.
autism.jpg

looting is annoying but you can ignore it and still have overboard of resources

I only loot one type of containers(chests in churches) because they contain high number of valuables.

hivemind

Have you tried hard/insane difficulties?
game is ez pz on insane if you play using tools given

playing without companion crafting imo makes game hard enough tho

I'm done playing now because new bug but next run I will do with no companion(or maybe total) crafting and I think that should be challenging in combat plenty

hivemind

I didn't get what you are trying to say so now I feel legitimately autistic

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It was a bad play off "with friends like these, who needs enemies" that was premised on the idea that having an "overboard of resources" is itself a bad sign in an RPG.

Tigranes

Arcane
I decided early on I'm going to ignore most of the loot and only, say, loot corpses of important victims or whenever something strikes my fancy. Somehow, I think this will probably improve my experience, in that I'll be able to enjoy resource scarcity for longer before the inevitable RPG "i has million dollarz" point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom