Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Expeditions: Viking Release Thread

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by Infinitron, Apr 27, 2017.

1. SniperHFgender: ⚧ Prophet

SniperHF
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    920M is pretty horrible. Well below the minimum based on benches.

^ Top  
  2. Mortmalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    Had same issues , most of time combat is trivial then you get impossible fight like horfgard in the forest, there's no option to approach her stealthily and take down a few guys, you initiate dialog in the open with the main character who is not a tank in front.... First round berserker charge on my archer main character, then hailstorm on the party. No one is under cover , half of it is wiped or poisoned.Impossible fight when i had absolutely no trouble with anything before.

^ Top  
  3. Starwarsgender: ⚧ Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    And that fight varies wildly too depending on... well, I don't know. I guess the exact placement of your dudes when combat starts. I had to reload the fight a bunch of times (twice because the game crashed when the archers used fire arrows on my shield dude for some reason) and it depends so much on what the enemies do on their first turn. If you're unlucky, you'll have people down and half the party severely damaged before you even get to act. If you're lucky, one of your dudes will be near KO.

Very annoying stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Mortmalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    The fire arrow crashing the game happened to me too a few time, and yes you need save scumming and luck to manage this fight, this is not good design.

^ Top  
  5. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    OK, so I'm at the Choo-choo-choose spot. For those who've gone past it:

Show Spoiler
    I chose Picts for now. My assumption is that the quest/plot progression is basically the same - go to the Wall, help the army through, etc - but just fighting on different sides, and that 'independent' option just means fight both dudes in slightly harder fights?

Also, how far from end am I? Honestly, it's getting awfully dull roflstomping, and I'm thinking in my second run I'll just play flamboyant rapepillagers that run with 3-4 party size for challenge.

^ Top  
  6. hivemindgender: ⚧ Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    do you use crafting?

^ Top  
  7. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    bro do you even craft?

^ Top  
  8. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    I used crafting, I also plan to drop it next playthrough. I wanted a 'normal' playthrough first time - and to be honest, didn't expect difficulty to be so ludicrously low given it was decent in Conquistador.

I expect playing with less party members, and dropping crafting, would make the game quite very difficult. Crafting doesn't seem particularly interesting anyway, and that would give more weight to tinkering.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. SniperHFgender: ⚧ Prophet

SniperHF
    Parrots:
    The battle of Yngiliwood one? Mainly I feel like it would have been easier if the earlier fights would have been more consistently challenging. Especially the whole area with the "cult", which was a cakewalk and shouldn't have been. I had no real reason to gear myself up heavily or carry a lot of the higher end traps and such.

I did just manage to beat it with a firepot + poison caltrops + a bit of luck on the initial volley which on max damage basically one shot anything that isn't extremely well armored. Even still I lost two characters straight off. Took about 5-6 reloads.

One thing I don't like about the wooded areas is so many places look fully covered when really they are low, wish there was a better indicator.

^ Top  
  10. Mark Richardgender: ⚧ Savant

Mark Richard
    Parrots:
    I'm going to put a pin in this for now and come back when things are more stable. Should've taken my own advice - never preorder. It's always the worst version of the game.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    ^ Top  
  11. veevoirgender: ⚧ Klytus, I'm bored Patron

veevoir
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    In that dight it is good to go straigt uo from the gate and then step into it from opposite site. Most archers lose los, good for surviving the buttfuck in first turn.

Of course it is E:V. So to initiate the fight that way you actually must go past 1-2 enemies in touching range and cannot stab them nor initiate combat

^ Top  
  12. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Finished Insane playthrough. The endgame is a bit teleporty but I'm not too fussed, I was eager to be done at that point. I did run into a fair number of bugs, and my dual wielder kept hitting himself and allies all game, but it only caused real pain a couple of times.

Trying it out now with no crafting and bringing less party members, and also a low finesse/perception protagonist - we'll see if that solves the difficulty problem.

^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/445190/discussions/0/1326718197224238758

^ Top  
  14. Multiple Sarcasmgender: ⚧ Arcane

Multiple Sarcasm
    Parrots:
    Do conversation skill checks use the highest skill level in the party or just the PC? Thinking of dumping Ketill's points into Diplomacy, specifically.

^ Top  
  15. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    PC except the few times party companion comes and helps

You get a gazillion skill points, just give it to PC if you want it

^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/445190/discussions/0/1290690669224349879/

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    ^ Top  
  17. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    are they adding party location select/formation yet?

^ Top  
  18. Sadujgender: ⚧ Arcane

Saduj
    Parrots:
    I'm very close to finishing the game and will be doing so shortly. Really enjoying it so far but agree that the combat needs tweaking.

Just wondering if anyone else feels that the writing creates a strong incentive to go the "crush everyone" route.

Show Spoiler
    The first king you meet is Osred, who basically wants nothing to do with you. Ok, screw him.

Then you meet his rival in the woods who doesn't seem like the most promising ally.

So before doing those quests, I went to check out the Picts. At first, this seemed promising. This king is much more respectful and an alliance seems possible. So I track down and kill his rival. Then I do the quests to get the Gaels to like him more. He's now undisputed king and I've at least doubled the size of his army, not to mention spared any men he would have lost doing this shit with his own people. His rival Osred is still fighting a civil war at this point. Ask him to reciprocate and send a token force to back me up at home and the response: "lol, I can't do that because my enemies are divided and dis makes me scare because reasons. Halp me take the another kingdum and I will keep teh promise, rofl." The lack of dialogue options pointing out that what he's telling me makes no sense is a little annoying. So I tell him OK, then I sail to Orkneyjar and start the process of building an invasion force - still thinking I won't need it.

Go back to the woods and facilitate the overthrow of Osred. Go visit my new ally on his new throne. Same bullshit only his excuse is somewhat more sensible since the Picts and Gaels are now a unified threat (I'm sure if this is not yet the case, there is some other excuse). Bottom line is, I have to help him take over a 2nd kingdom now or no help. I pick the more aggressive dialogue options and still no dice plus his assurances sound like total bullshit.

Oh and also they both want you to kill the people at Dun Phries, which is the only faction in the game that seems to understand what a reciprocal alliance is.

Both of these greedy goal line moving fucks are begging to be killed. I'm not done with the Heathen Army invasion yet but so far the dialogue options seem to take the slant that I'm the betrayer who betrayed my "allies". I may not be given the chance to point out to these jagovs never actually acted as allies and that it is their own greed that did them in, but that is OK because I am going to kill them.

Anyway, the point of my rant is that the writing isn't bad, but it definitely presents trusting these guys as an extremely risky move. Knowing this is a game, I'm sure you can side with either and get a decent ending. But from a role playing perspective, why would anyone continue to work with either of these assholes?

Edit: I think a better option would have been for the kings to agree to help you, then something happens that would prevent them from doing so unless you continue to help them

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Feyd Rautha or Mr.Harkonnen? Whicheverisavailablegender: ⚧ Savant Patron

Feyd Rautha or Mr.Harkonnen? Whicheverisavailable
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I love me some pop culture references à la Fallout 2:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    I think the logic behind that was, political alliances are always more nebulous and less explicitly quid pro quid than the participants would like, and a bunch of smelly Norsemen who's not even anywhere near king in their own homeland will have trouble pressuring these guys to remember how you helped them when they don't need you anymore.

The whole "we want to help you but um here's another problem" route does occur, though, for both dudes? I mean, that's exactly what they say when they need your help with that town. They are more forthcoming afterwards.

^ Top  
  21. SniperHFgender: ⚧ Prophet

SniperHF
    Parrots:
    So I've beaten the game and I'm wondering if there's enough distinct interesting content to load back to before choosing which kingdom gets Dun Phiris and picking a side instead of going the invasion route. Any opinions?

^ Top  
  22. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    No.

Show Spoiler
    As far as I've seen, pick a side = invade the other, then Althing + Endgame. go independent = invade both sides (though you choose one to handle yourself), then Althing + Endgame. go trading pacifist = invade nobody, then Althing + Endgame. It's all the same. You actually would get more variety from doing things like fighting or helping the villagers on that initial coastal area.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. I'm With Her oneselfgender: ⚧ for prison Prophet Shitposter

oneself
    Parrots:
    A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
    Last patch shitted on my inspire leader. Thanks.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    So are there any new patches in the works?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jinngender: ⚧ Cipher

Jinn
    Parrots:
    I hope so. I've been waiting for the next patch which is rumored to be addressing some of the issues with difficulty before I give it a proper playthrough. Starting to get a little tired of waiting with no news.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)