Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Expeditions: Viking Release Thread

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by Infinitron, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Sensukigender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Click here and disable ads!
    Actually I would say they've been pretty good about it - devs are very active on the steam forums giving people temporary workarounds to quest bugs and they acknowledged the issues right away unlike inXile and others before them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    Yeah, customer support is good, altho squashing bugs is harder than said.
    I am not too far into the game, is it true locations outside quests are only camps?
    Granted the locations now are alot bigger and have the quests inside instead of world map overworld and little battle stage inside.

I am too early to give proper judgement

^ Top  
  3. Sensukigender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    When I first played the beta I was a bit disappointed at the change from the HoMM style gameplay to the more Baldur's Gate style (even though I really like BG style). The actual areas offer alright exploration, but it's a lot easier to run across a moderate size area, clear out the fog of war and hold a highlight button to find all the loot containers, and see NPCs through the fog.

Exploration in Conquistador was a lot more abstract because it was experienced in intermittent events in betwen the worldmap travel & camping routine. Every 22 footsteps or whatever it was you had to make camp, so there was a routine gameplay in place that you had to do often several times before you found anything, and even then finding locations was a bit more difficult.

The locations available in Denmark have more content in them than El Salvador (or whatever the island was called) in Conquistador, however players are able to complete the content a lot quicker due to the fact that they are contained in the Baldur's Gate style areas and most quests or events are resolved on the same map, and some quest objectives are located in a different map. I have also yet to encounter a random battle encounter (which was commonplace in E:C and took up a lot of game time).

I would say that the overland travel & 2D CYOA + battle map combo was relatively unique, and now that they've changed to a more traditional style it's easier to compare against something like Baldur's Gate and I think it's easier to find a moderate execution of a standard formula less charming than a moderate execution of a non-standard exploration & gameplay formula.

Areas look great and are very atmospheric though, if the VFX effects in some cases have gone a bit too far.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. SniperHFgender: ⚧ Prophet

SniperHF
    Parrots:
    Kinda tired of my main character always getting murdered right at the start at a 100% clip of any combat with enemy initiative. Perpetually injured.

Also is the prep phase from E:C totally gone? Or does it make an appearance later on special set pieces?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    after around 10 hours, i fear i have to agree with most of the bad reviews. the bugs are crazy and some design overlook like lack of positioning/formation is just awful. to quote my post in the steam forums:

i think i will have to put off the game for a while. i think it is a great game, just in this current form, it is unplayable. it is such shame because a game's first impression is so important. i don't have a problem with core design change like making it more baldur's gate (tho i miss conquistador's exploration and random encounters quite a much) like structure.

also at this point, with the lack of formation and positioning, it is a matter of turn where you have no control too. either my party get their first turn and slaugther everyone, or enemy get their first turn and they slaugther my party. other than that, if enemy got the first turn you can get lucky and have the attacks miss.

simply adding formations like infinity engine games would improve this problem by much. maybe in ambushes you cannot reposition, but there have to at least a way to set how your party walk.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/445190/announcements/detail/1282807465649347043

^ Top  
  7. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    I hope they inform us when they are happy with the state of the game again

^ Top  
  8. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Just got to the British Isles. For those who've finished, how much of the game takes place in Denmark? 30%?

Still very few bugs, so I guess lucky me, especially since GOG will patch slowly I assume.

Do you find enough NPCs to fill up the hird in Denmark (i.e. did I miss something huge), or are you supposed to create some custom ones?

^ Top  
  9. Starwarsgender: ⚧ Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    I also had to create some custom ones.

I'm not too far into the British Isles but they feel a lot bigger and with more... depth so to speak. It's much more fun than the Denmark part I think.

^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again Alienmangender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Interesting. Having so many beta testers but still missing obvious things. I got a bug in the first 3 minutes of the game. When my dad was mentioned in my player character bios it just said "<player-dads-name>" or something similar.

^ Top  
  11. Sensukigender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    I believe you're always forced to create some party members in Ribe. I didn't like this design decision and reported as such in the beta. There is one plot quest where you use everyone in the party technically in the game but it only may occur if you do certain things, I am not sure.

There weren't that many beta testers that reported heaps of bugs. 1000 people may have got keys but there were only some active on the steam forums reporting them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Wolfegender: ⚧ Learned

Wolfe
    Parrots:
    Finished after 30 hours. The ending seemed rushed, I didn't really find it satisfactory and there were no major surprises at all, it was pretty railroaded. Despite the general instability in terms of crashes and bugs, I really loved my time with it, and I'll actually reload an earlier save to see how different decisions influence the ending.

The combat is awesome, although it puts you in some ridiculously unfair situations at times and it doesn't let you arrange the hird's formation. The visual and audio presentation is good, voices aren't great but the music is lovely. I enjoyed the character progression up to the point where I didn't have what to spend them on because I had done every side quest I could. The hird party members were quite cool, I really liked Nefja, Gunnarr, Asleifr and Aife.

Good game overall, I hope they'll fix its issues, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    From what I can see of the skills, it feels like you pretty much max out on everything you want soon after arriving in the Isles (your main weapon skills, the necessary bonuses for your build, some supporting abilities) - and then you're just pumping the camping skills though with 10 hirdsmen you're really encouraged to have campskillwhores doing it for you? I like the system very much, but I'm wondering how it'll fare late game.

^ Top  
  14. Wolfegender: ⚧ Learned

Wolfe
    Parrots:
    I'd say I was about three quarters done with the game when I reached the point where I didn't have anything to spend my skill points on. Certainly not when I had just left Denmark.

^ Top  
  15. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Is that with a completionist approach and solving every little sidequest, or "normal" play?

^ Top  
  16. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    oasis789 All I've done is go to each new area, take a look around and talk to the few dudes with names, and do most of the quests - skipped a couple, but who knows what I've missed? Given you can't explore freeform, only beeline to known locations then find a million camping spots, maybe it's not that much.

In terms of where I'm at, I landed in the British Isles, visited one of the two big factions, did some sidequests, then realised there wasn't too much to look forward to skillpoints wise. I don't know how far I'm from the end, but it doesn't look like I'd be very close.

^ Top  
  17. veevoirgender: ⚧ Klytus, I'm bored Patron

veevoir
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    It seems so, after Denmark all your chars are pretty much maxed or very competent in respective combat areas. The question is will Britain challenge level be up to the task or are they walking gods.

I have nothing against maxing skills, as long as I encounter enemies with maxed skills so there is challenge

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. krisgender: ⚧ Arcane

kris
    Parrots:
    It will be all about equipment after you maxed out skills. I didn't understand the system, what with crafting to get best equipment. So I am a bit gimped...

^ Top  
  19. Urthorgender: ⚧ Learned

Urthor
    Parrots:
    Britain is very much awalkover until lategame, but it's a neato questing adventure with pretty good writing. The lategame is made hard by a few maps where you have to battle through obnoxious choke points, and on one occassion they make the classical mistake of throwing you in a full party fight without giving you the heads up that you should equip the junk party members who have 5 crafting 5 artisan etc etc with actual weapons because they're gonna be fighting soon.

^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/445190/announcements/detail/1290689400186482658

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. sqeecoogender: ⚧ Arcane

sqeecoo
    Parrots:
    Not on GOG yet, of course :)

Anyway, I have a slightly spoilery question about Britain for the bros that have finished the game:

Show Spoiler
    Are the Northumbria/Pictia/Viking conquest questlines mutually exclusive? I mean, am I expected to pick one per game and stick with it, or is there leeway to do stuff with all factions and then just make a choice in the end? Also, is there some non-intuitive stuff to watch out for/aim for?
    Of course this stuff is fun to discover for yourself, but the game is buggy enough that I worry about breaking questlines and such so I'm asking for basic directions :)

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Wolfegender: ⚧ Learned

Wolfe
    Parrots:
    Show Spoiler
    You can do the quests from any faction, but there's a decision point past which you side with one (or with yourself) and antagonise the others.

^ Top  
  23. Shadowfanggender: ⚧ Arcane

Shadowfang
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    Haven't played much in but enjoying it so far.
    Reached the part where you can pick what kind of boat you want and name it.

So far it is falling bellow my expectations, because i expected it to be a Conquistador 2.0 with a Viking coating on top.
    I hope that changes the more i play it, but even if it does not its okay because i probably hold Expeditions: Conquistador with high regard.

Playing it on Insane and it feels pretty sane for me.

^ Top  
  24. Smashing Axegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    What framerates are you guys getting? I'm running on the lowest graphics settings and I'm still averaging around 14 FPS. Running GeForce 920M which really ought to be able to handle it.

^ Top  
  25. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    never dropped below 58 then again i have a 1080

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)