Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Expeditions: Viking Release Thread

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by Infinitron, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Jrpgfan Learned

Jrpgfan
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    It's definitely a step up from conquistador.

The looting design was a poor choice though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    I've only played up to Ribe so I've only noticed one possible bug. The bog witch in Skern disappeared from her house/cave/whatever and I have no idea where she is.

Also, I only exiled the men from the farm but when I returned to that map, nobody was there except for the one quest-related thrall.

^ Top  
  3. Jrpgfan Learned

Jrpgfan
    Parrots:
    Btw my protag just nailed Nefja. That took me by surprise - wasn't expecting any romance in this game.

^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Maybe it's high time for that to change. They are only shooting themselves in the foot by releasing buggy stuff, because customers like me are getting tired of it and won't buy any new games on release date anymore. I often wonder why I do it when this shit keep repeating itself. Maybe it is a bit unfair that this game had to suffer my frustration since like you I usually have patience and I rarely write reviews but this time I just got me pissed off. I tried the refund option but since that didn't work there isn't many other options than to post a negative review to show dissatisfaction.

^ Top  
  5. hivemind Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    Yes.
    I don't understand why people prefer running around an entire mini-city with two or so dozen buildings and mouseovering all the NPCs in order to find the 2-3 with which you can talk and get a sidequest from to the Conquistador style of a city being largely just displayed as a few intractable points of interest. It's pointless filler.

^ Top  
  6. hivemind Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    People on steam complaining about no exp from kills lmao

THIS IS THE AUDIENCE THAT RPGfication BRINGS

• Funny Funny x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    "Fightning atm has no purpose other than to advance your goals "

He has gazed into the nihilistic abyss at the heart of all fightning

• Funny x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    At least not with the camera setup coupled with the area layout in the game as is. It's very hard to get a good overview on where you are and where you're headed with the very topdown camera, and there is very little in the way of standout landmarks in these rather large areas.

That said, the areas themselves are quite nice and atmospheric I think. But yeah, it doesn't make for great gameplay in my opinion. But I have to say that I'm enjoying the areas in the second campaign much more.

But yup, I would've also rather have had them expanding upon the Conquistador style of gameplay and improving that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Parrots:
    How do you start combat on your own? I see a bunch of enemies, but I have to walk into melee range with my archer leader to start the combat, they also act first. Utter horseshit.

Game is fun so far, I tried conquistador and found it unplayable so this is a step up for me.

Game is really buggy, there is an infinite XP bug in the first 30 minutes. Didn't see one of those in a decade.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. karoliner Educated

karoliner
    Parrots:
    Thanks to a gamebreaking bug i'm stuck in Denmark, now i can't fulfill my dream of killing christians and looting churches.
    :negative:

• Despair Despair x 7
    ^ Top  
  11. Kaldurenik Cipher Patron

Kaldurenik
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Overall i have had fun but at the same time it have not been a painless experience.

The number of bugs that just break everything is insane. Also the looting is annoying as hell, it gets worse when you knock the enemy out because then they roll and they are hard to target.

Some of the fun bugs:
    Quests not updating, doing quests in the "wrong" order cause the quest to stop working, character's being instantly healed to max health after i crit them. Enemies have infinit health.
    Enemy have 100% block, 100% damage reduction and deals 100's of damage on each swing, your character's don't gain any things from new items. Camping some times crash the game, loading some times cause the game to crash.
    The enemy is "dead" but not dead, he can attack but i can't target him. The enemy is dead he won't attack but he can't die.

There are more bugs and issues but what i would like to see is things like:
    *If i place the camera so i look towards the north then it should continue to be like that and not rotate (randomly?) when i enter / exit a area or a building. Keep it the same direction.
    *To not have the main character stand in melee while he have a bow due to having a conversation. I can understand if you are ambushed but allow one to have a "zone" or a area where you can place your character's at the start of the combat. One super annoying thing is how your melee tanks are almost always stuck behind your ranged characters.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    Much as I've whined about the game so far, it, like Conquistador, manages to feel like something really special at times. The feeling of roleplaying and making choices within a historical setting, travelling on the overland map, the feel and music. That all makes for something pretty unique.

Hats off to the composer, the music is extremely good at times.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    The York theme with the vocals is pretty sweet too

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. hivemind Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    Perth bug is fixed, nice

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jinn Augur

Jinn
    Parrots:
    Wanted to post another bug. When you're camping and one of your hird find themselves in a dangerous situation and you decided to have another follower save them, the person who is actually in trouble can be chosen to save themselves.

For example, Ketill fell through some ice and I sent Ketill in after him. Ketill rose out of the ice carrying Ketill to safety.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. hivemind Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    deep

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Make America Great Again Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Parrots:
    Another easy bug : You can't set people to hunt etc. if they are being treated, but if you auto assign it skips the requirement.

Game needs a bunch of patches, but the core idea is fun. Don't like the amount of random basic loot containers, the tedium reminds me of D:OS.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Quillon Scholar

Quillon
    Parrots:
    Finished act 1 with some crashes at later maps, all crashes happened during loading. No quest bugs yet thankfully; would have been the most annoying. Going across the see with additional help from Skellige(created Cerys, Hjalmar & Ermion for the motley crew :P ).

So far the most negative thing is still the same; exploring/cleaning up the maps is a chore with this cam angle...and loot containers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    This is an odd one.

When I boot up the game after turning my PC on the game hangs for a while (Not Responding) and recovers after about 20 seconds, however my FPS is really bad in the game. If I quit and relaunch - it loads quickly and is fine. Weird

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jrpgfan Learned

Jrpgfan
    Parrots:
    I think I've been in the first real challenging fight in the game, the one you fight osdred's men on the bridge in Eoforwic after returning from the bishop's mission. Those archers are no joke. I just wish more fights were like that.

Btw I've been experiencing an annoying bug where in the middle of the fight after me or the enemy execute an attack action nothing happens and the round won't pass. Can't even reload the game because UI won't show up. Got triggered real hard when that happened at the end of the above fight, had to start it all over again.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    ^ Top  
  21. harhar! Educated

harhar!
    Parrots:
    My thoughts:

- Game is generally fun, combat is tactical.
    - Too easy most of the time, even on hardest difficulty. Especially camping is now super easy.
    - Looting is dumb.
    - Some fights are ridiculus, why do I have to start the fight with 4 guys and 2 with half health, instead of 6 against 8 opponents?
    - Bugs galore.

^ Top  
  22. Disgruntled Learned

Disgruntled
    Parrots:
    All the bug reports and imbalance issues have scared me away from continuing my play-through despite the fun ive had.

I could live with a few minor glitches but some of the combat quirks turns me off from spoiling the game for myself, i only played till the tree picking but archers being OP is already obvious with that quick shot skill.
    Hopefully they arent stuck squashing bugs for too long and tweak the fighting as well.

^ Top  
  23. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:

Mr 80k subscribers is on the game

^ Top  
  24. cruelio Learned

cruelio
    Parrots:
    This is biggest disappointment so far of 2017. When Torment came out and was shit I didn't care because I expected nothing less from gaming's greatest failure Brian Fargo (who still gets space on the front page of this very website, nice!). But this is sad stuff form people whose very first game was extremely bold foray into murdering Indians and taking their shit.

- So many game breaking bugs, which per the developers themselves they have STILL not dealt with. The amount and severity of bugs implies 1) they did no testing at all or 2) they decided it was ship and have customers be paid beta testers or go bankrupt. I'm leaning towards 2 after they shipped flop co-op spy game which was a tremendously stupid decision for them to even try.

- The combat is garbage. They listened to the people who said archers sucked in the first game and made archers broken. The game now revolves around killing enemy archers before they kill your archers. The nightmare scenario in this game is when the enemies get to go first for no discernible reason and they alpha strike your party with their archers. Hope everyone in your party, including the archers you brought to counter their archers, is decked out in chain mail and wearing a shield (not hard to accomplish because of the broken resource and crafting system, another huge problem). I beat the game on the hardest difficulty btw after deciding not to back down even after learning the game was set to hardest by default due to a bug (seriously! they did not even open up the options menu before shipping the game!) so I don't want to hear some bullshit like "if it's too easy you should have made it harder."

- Bizarrely stripped down from first game. Why can't I just explore like the first game, instead I'm forced to hop from camp to camp in lame approximation of actually exploring? Why can't I set my party's formation before battle anymore? How come the only optional locations not tied to quests are monasteries and camps (lul) that only exist to get raided? Remember those cool choose your own adventure sequences where you raid pyramids from the first game? The closest thing to those now is one (1) cave where you pass two skill checks to get to the treasure at the end.

It really seems to me like they were faced with shipping or going out of business. That would explain why this game is so shit, with nothing tested and stripped down features, when the first game was such a surprising breath of fresh air.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    Parrots:
    I was tempted, but I'm glad I didn't buy this game. Sick of the bugs and terrible customer support.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)