Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Expeditions: Viking Release Thread

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by Infinitron, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    So what's the consensus?
    Is the patching finished by now?
    I remember being disappointed from the beta test, is this the time to start it up for the first time?

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. daveyd Savant

daveyd
    Parrots:
    Well, last update was posted to GOG version on March 8th (was mid February on Steam) so I doubt there will be another. Game is good as it's going to get. IMO, it's a great game.

Haven't done a full playthrough since the difficulty tweaks, but my main complaint was combat became too easy even on the highest difficulty setting. Not sure if that's changed, but now there is an iron man mode that limits you to one save slot. Additionally if you want you could make the game more challenging by not crafting weapons / armor and or not min-maxing your characters.. I think making your main character a smart (high sense) character that focuses on the buffs / diplomacy would make it more challenging as well, but I've only played fighters so far.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Fredward Educated

Fredward
    Parrots:
    I wanna see the 4th Crusade, keeping the Byzzies from collapsing is my gender identity.

I do hope they haven't moved on to something entirely new. They mentioned that E:V wasn't profitable for them.

^ Top  
  4. Barbarian Arcane

Barbarian
    Parrots:
    They have? Where? If so most alarming news for me. I am really looking forward for another expeditions game.

It is not like the industry is swarming with the developers making historical TB rpgs(jokes aside, for some reason they are the only devs that bothered to do this instead of the boring fantasy/d&d cloning bullshit we get 50 times a year).

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. daveyd Savant

daveyd
    Parrots:
    Here's a post on Steam forums (from Sept. 2017) where Jonas said it hasn't "made them any money yet" and in fact have yet to break even. Of course, that is nearly a year ago so hopefully things have changed. I imagine this game was pretty expensive to develop by indie standards... it was in development for how many years? And even limited voice acting can be rather expensive from what I hear.

If Logic Artists decides to develop another Expeditions RPG, they could use the Viking engine so that should cut down on the development time / cost. I'm still trying to do what I can to get people to buy this game. Alas, I don't know many people who even play CRPGs; I've got one friend who I think I'll eventually persuade to buy it.. So I'm pretty much limited to posting about it on forums and reddit when someone asks for recommendations.

Good news is they've apparently found investors for their next game project.. I just hope they don't decide to make yet another high fantasy RPG because it is deemed more marketable.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    • Despair Despair x 4
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Feyd Rautha Augur Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's so unfortunate because this is a great game! In the latest update in the "Sales of Incline"-thread (April 2018) E:V is only at 54,574 owners on Steam. I really encourage people to buy this at full price since Logic Artists is a developer worth supporting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. daveyd Savant

daveyd
    Parrots:
    I'm rather confused as to how they arrive at those numbers because the Jan 2018 said 61,816... Unless there were thousands who requested refunds?

Either way it's far too low. I'd argue it's far better than most of the top selling RPGs. I need to submit a user review on some sites like Neoseeker or Giantbomb. Probably not a lot of CRPG fans even visit those sites but who knows maybe it will help make a few potential fans aware of it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    People have accused us of hurting this game's popularity by relegating discussion to this forum, but actually we had a bunch of newsposts, a preview and a review and for the most part people just weren't that interested. The concept just doesn't seem to excite people, I dunno.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I still think these dev-specific forums are a completely stupid idea- not just for this game, but all of 'em.
    Is there really, truly, a reason for these? There a shitload of other threads, and it's not like a game comes out every other day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Barbarian Arcane

Barbarian
    Parrots:
    If that number is true that is fucked up. Battle Brothers for instance is said to have sold over 125k copies, and it is a much inferior game.

Anyway, they were hiring people a few months ago for their new project, so the company is certainly still afloat and working on a game. It will be a real shame if they drop the expeditions formula though. It is a winner idea.

I seriously don't understand why people would be more interested in a game like Tyranny or Pillars of Eternity than this. Sure, those are obsidian games with former bioware devs at the helm, but this game is immensely superior even with an indie budget. And I mean superior in every single way: writing, design, combat, you name it. Immense amounts of C&C too, an rpg game more reactive than anything Obsidian has done except New Vegas.

I guess people don't know what they want. Most regulars here would love the game after a few hours try.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Parrots:
    If you are not just referring to real world history settings as expeditions formula; they changed the formula to be more in line with the trad. RPGs, I thought it was the right decision but in hindsight it was wrong; "everything except combat happening on world map" was what made it unique & more appealing cos it made it shine by its difference in the saturated market. By making individual maps for "exploration" they took on an additional set of expectations and ultimately it wasn't up to par & probably was the worst part of the experience.

Also according to recent steam leak; viking has 81,722 steam users compared to conquistador's 130,612.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I think Conquistador have been part of one of those 1 dollar deals.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Barbarian Arcane

Barbarian
    Parrots:
    That change was hardly important in my view. I think Vikings was inferior to conquistador for several reasons. Some personal(I really prefer the conquistador setting), some quite factual, specially this: The combat in conquistador had more strategy involved and the character developing system, while much smaller, was more concise and effective(vikings has ton of dump stats/perks and your characters become less specialized as they progress, contrary to conquistador).

But Vikings did make some things better, although most of them have to do with better production values. The settlement mechanics for instance, much better than that quite limited fort we got in conquistador. Also the factions and alliances were better and more complex.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    Parrots:
    I think everyone must be sick of the fucking viking setting after skyrim and I said it at the very beginning. I myself am not interested at all in it, even having played the beta and seen that it's a lot more history than gay hero shouts but then the beta sucked for other reasons imo.
    Conquistadors was unique at first glance and this is not.

^ Top  
  15. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Parrots:
    is this right, there's only an ending slide for a companion only if you romance them?

^ Top  
  16. Barbarian Arcane

Barbarian
    Parrots:
    I played this a while ago and haven't got the best memory for this kind of thing, but I'm quite sure there was a short text for each companion depending on their morale by endgame(i.e: Morcant built a church in your village, Gunnar stayed, etc). The romanced npc was the only one who appeared on a scene(if that is what you mean).

At least that is how I remember it...

^ Top  
  17. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Parrots:
    huh, I was really let down, maybe it was bugged. Oh well, the game was till a very satisfying experience. Makes me want to re-play Conquistador since I remember dropping playthrough after the first area.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    Besides the mentioned bugs the game looked like an improvement over the first Expeditions. Except I totally can't into Viking settings. I don't know, it just bores me to death. Completely personal matter though...

^ Top  
  19. not an artichoke Arbiter

not an artichoke
    Parrots:
    Picked this up yesterday after reading a bit on here & enjoying E:Conquistador.

Started on Insane Ironman because I'm a fucking Codexian, right?

Restarted after the barrow ghosts clobbered me repeatedly.

Retuned & redesigned main character is doing well so far, but I have no idea when this "game is so easy" thing will start... maybe after I get to Britain and stop using pitchforks and pine shields?

I'm enjoying having to carefully think through strategies and placement in every battle thus far though.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  20. daveyd Savant

daveyd
    Parrots:

Yeah I think it's generally after you first leave Denmark that the combat tended to become cakewalk.. For the most anyway; IIRC there's one fight where if you make a certain choice you can have two factions going against you. The final battles in particular were disappointing as you expect your arch enemy to be a decent challenge but it was very easy.

Of course, most of us complained about it being too easy played it shortly after release (i.e., before the latest patches which added ironman mode and general difficulty tweaks.)... I have a new game started and have arrived at Britain so I'll see if things have changed. My general sense is that if you want it to remain challenging you should avoid crafting weapons / armor. Also I have made all of my player generated companions healers / hunters who are pretty much useless in battle so I plan to take the predefined party members into battle as much as possible.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Parrots:
    With all the patching and balance changes, I found the game to be consistently challenging even right up to the end. It was too easy on launch, but they quickly remedied that.

Or I could just be really bad at the game. That's an option too.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. not an artichoke Arbiter

not an artichoke
    Parrots:
    I was also an idiot and skipped straight over Ribe, going straight to the burial mound. No wonder things didn't go well.

My second character is now flush with wealth and loot from the Ribe areas. I know how to play better. These barrow shits won't know what hit them.

I'm using my 3 extra characters as camp bots as well, although I gave two of them combat skills just in case some of my plot characters get nasty wounds or something. I only plan to use them in emergency situations though.

Crafting does seem powerful, but also expensive. I can craft some ridiculously nice gear already, but only one ridiculously nice thing. I think it will be a bow, to upgrade ArcherDude from 8-10 damage to 42-45.

Yes. I will do this.

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Feyd Rautha Augur Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    another prosperous idea for an expeditions game is to license the Pillars of Eternity IP from Obsidian and do something there. The IP itself would probably generate millions in sales, no?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. daveyd Savant

daveyd
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Well done!

Looks very likely. Rome has been done quite a bit in games, but there's also A LOT of periods to pull from, definitely a good choice for an Expeditions game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)