Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Expeditions: Viking Release Thread

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by Infinitron, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Starwarsgender: ⚧ Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I'm replaying this right now. It's much improved from when it was released, greatly enjoying it. The atmosphere is really superb, I just fucking love the idea of these games. Roleplaying in historical settings is awesome. And I love the "split" in the campaigns. It's great when you get finish up the first part and head across the sea. Such a cool thing.
    Next game though... please look at the looting system again because as of right now, that is easily the worst part of Expeditions: Viking. Just mindlessly clicking all the containers and taking everything feels completely out of touch with the rest of the game. I mean, you don't have to take absolutely everything in Ribe but it's all there, right in your face with no consequences if you take it (well, unless you mess with the few containers marked as owned). Those beautiful areas deserve so much better.

Also, I don't have a save handy anymore but I had one crash with this latest patch. When you're entering the tomb in that village area far to the east of Ribe. I chose to sacrifice 3 thralls to gain entrance. And at the end of the sacrifice dialogue (I think my final choice there was "My thanks" or whatever) the game crashed. However, it managed to autosave there as well so I didn't have to replay a whole bunch of stuff.
    But still, maybe something to look into there.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mark Richardgender: ⚧ Savant

Mark Richard
    Parrots:
    Hell yeah, can't get enough historical fiction. I imagine it requires a lot of research on the developer's part to achieve such a level of authenticity. If you haven't played it already, check out Expeditions: Conquistador. A major historical figure vanishes and you're left to fulfil his role.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Put him in your crew, he's damn handy as the go-and-get-hit-while-I-krump-gitz guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. veevoirgender: ⚧ Klytus, I'm bored Patron

veevoir
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    Press "Gunnar" to murder

^ Top  
  5. Avonaeongender: ⚧ Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    Parrots:
    Patch 1.0.7 is up for beta testing, for those interested. Instructions here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/445190/discussions/0/1519260397795228935/

Additions worth mentioning is Iron Man, an additional difficulty slider that increases enemy equipment and armour, being able to tilt the camera, combat speed slider, steam workshop support and highlight all toggle.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Starwarsgender: ⚧ Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    Aaaaand finished my replay. Great game, much more enjoyable now than it was on release. Just a lot more stable, the "surprise round" does a lot to take some of the frustrations of combat away, the changes on how to cap out skills are good, resource management/healing injuries while camping feels a bit more balanced. As I said before, my biggest annoyance about the game is the looting system which feels odd and a bit of a timewaster.

I opted into the beta right before I finished the game. I have to say that being able to get up on the palisades for the fight where Skjern is attacked made the fight a *lot* easier than I rememberd it (maybe I remember it wrong though, not sure) but it's fine. Just makes sense.

Great stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Jack Dandygender: ⚧ Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Looking forward to play the release version of 1.07. Ironmode from the getgo, baby!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Here it is: http://steamcommunity.com/games/445190/announcements/detail/1443828274233431923

• Excited! Excited! x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Jinngender: ⚧ Cipher

Jinn
    Parrots:
    Thank you guys at Logic Artists so much for addressing all these issues!

For any codexer who's been thinking of getting this, now would be the time. I feel the game has been sadly overlooked by many here because of it's slightly shaky release.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Morality Gamesgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's been overlooked because of a crowded marketplace of "ageless" and time consuming products, as well as possible (though understandable) miscalculations, like "now" being the time to make a Vikings game (because Vikings are the "in" thing).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. MurkyShadowgender: ⚧ Glittering gem of hatred Patron

MurkyShadow
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    Expeditions Viking is definitely my game of the year. Can't say when the last time was I went for a third play-through in a row in a game. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Feyd Rautha or Mr.Harkonnen? Whicheverisavailablegender: ⚧ Savant Patron

Feyd Rautha or Mr.Harkonnen? Whicheverisavailable
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's overlooked by codex because all the threads are hidden in this subforum. People would be much more aware of the game if it was in general rpg discussion

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Definitely my GOTY.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    The game was pretty bad on release and that made a lot of people lose interest I guess. I want to go back to it soon since you all say it's now in a good condition

*I had a game not too far in, should I restart? Ideal difficulty?

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Feyd Rautha or Mr.Harkonnen? Whicheverisavailablegender: ⚧ Savant Patron

Feyd Rautha or Mr.Harkonnen? Whicheverisavailable
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    why are people always so hesitant to begin anew? it's nice to begin a new playthrough

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Sensukigender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    For some people it's time. I haven't had time to play an RPG since Christmas last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Ivangender: ⚧ Arcane

Ivan
    Parrots:

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sranchammergender: ⚧ Arcane

Sranchammer
    Parrots:
    I really like the game - I haven't finished a game in a long time. A long, long time.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Barbariangender: ⚧ Arcane

Barbarian
    Parrots:
    If they make an "Expeditions: Crusader" I will throw my money at them and do free marketing around the clock with everybody I know.

Yeah, I know they will add female crusaders and stuff like that to cuck it up a little but I don't care. The format of the game is perfect for telling a story in the period between the first and second crusade.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Hell, I'd happily pay for that, not to mention Expeditions: Heart of Darkness and Expeditions: Silk Road.

Maybe not so much for Expeditions: Round the block in Detroit.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Wolfegender: ⚧ Learned

Wolfe
    Parrots:
    I might just have to replay this, I loved it the first time around.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. hivemindgender: ⚧ Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    one of the most patrician periods of the whole of humanity tbh

^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    GameBanshee review: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/119999-expeditions-viking-review/all-pages.html

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)