Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview Expeditions: Viking Raid On Dumfries Gameplay Video

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Expeditions: Viking; Jonas Wæver; Logic Artists; Teemo Ashton

A new Expeditions: Viking "Devs Play" gameplay video was uploaded to the Logic Artists YouTube channel today. Like the previous Devs Play episode back in October, the video has creative director Jonas Waever and community manager Teemo Ashton demonstrating one of the game's combat scenarios. In this case, a daring raid on the Scottish village of Dumfries (then known as Dun Phris). This is apparently a late game battle, so plenty of high level abilities see use, including several spectacular area of affect attacks. You won't believe it's not fantasy!

This game looks so cool. Watch for the flaming berserker decapitation attack at 13:40.

• Brofist x 13
    • incline x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Kem0sabegender: ⚧ Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Looks surprisingly polished.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Sensukigender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    The production level is A LOT higher this time around, from what I've played I think it should do well on the 'dex, though the non-combat gameplay has changed in presentation a bit from E:C

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    This is why we need the meh rating.

If you're gonna have all sorts of magical/anime abilities might as well attempt to have a more interesting setting than goddamn "vikings".

• Edgy x 6
    • retadred x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. luj1gender: ⚧ Savant

luj1
    Parrots:
    I dunno, it looks fairly enjoyable. Light years ahead of the first game in regard to production standard. And I don't mind the historical context at all, as it helps differentiate the series from all the bunk.

It's probably better than most garbage that's out there.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Grotesquegender: ⚧ Arcane

Grotesque
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I am currently playing Battle Brothers and my only question is if it's as good as Battle Brothers regarding weapon gameplay implications and other mechanics.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tom Baker's Arsegender: ⚧ Educated

Tom Baker's Arse
    Parrots:
    Agreed - non-combat play has indeed changed in presentation a fair bit from E:C. From my exposure to the gameplay in the final beta, I can say this is a very polished product. A definite winner. TB combat is robust.

^ Top  
  8. hivemindgender: ⚧ Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    more like drumpfries am i right

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sacred82gender: ⚧ Liturgist

Sacred82
    Parrots:
    I think it will be fine for people who believe that Thor is a Marvel comics character

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    disagree. real historical vikings is rarely presented in games. sure there are alot of fantasy vikings and myths inspired games, too much even, but real vikings are rare if exist at all

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. I'm With Her SausageInYourFacegender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The possibilities of the franchise are endless if they keep improving their gameplay and radically change the setting everytime. We actually had a cool thread with suggestions somewhere. Lets hope Expeditions: The Holy Land or Expeditions: Anabasis is our future if this is a success. Until then, I'll take Vikings too as long as the gameplay is fun and it sure looks like it.

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. hivemindgender: ⚧ Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    I like the idea of the series going on but I don't see how
    would fit into the existing premise of having a small-ish party of named character that you adventure with and are largely your own boss.

In The Holy Land you'd have to be a part of a larger army doing army stuff unless it was set between first and second crusade and was about you just being minor feudal lord, but that then loses the expeditions aspect.
    Same with Anabasis, Xenophon had an army of 10K with him

^ Top  
  13. I'm With Her SausageInYourFacegender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Expeditions: Way to the Holy Land (set at the beginning of the Third Crusade), you could be part of a scouting team of Emperor Barbarossa, fight all sorts of Slavs on the Balkans, then Byzantines, Seldjuks and finally Arabs. Lots of potential for enemy variety, different terrain & tactics and diplomatic options that change the course of the expedition.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Habagender: ⚧ Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Looking really good. They've really managed to squeeze absurd amount of tactical options out of this one.

^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Kem0sabegender: ⚧ Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Even being Danish, devs are not uncucked enough to make a game about the crusades where you get to kill Arabs...

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. vivecgender: ⚧ Savant

vivec
    Parrots:
    FANTASTIC!! Kudos guys, for actually including fog from D&D well!!

^ Top  
  17. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Maybe Expeditions: Great Khan and they could introduce horseback combat in this one :)
    You manage a expeditionary force sent by Mongols into Europe that is to prepare the ground for the main force.

• incline incline x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Kem0sabegender: ⚧ Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    That would actually be acceptable, no one gets upset when you kill slavs or turks.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. hivemindgender: ⚧ Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    Expeditions: Eternal Anglo in India would work imo

Manage your own East India company

• incline incline x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Barbariangender: ⚧ Arcane

Barbarian
    Parrots:
    "Expeditions: Crusader" could certainly be done. Something like the Norwegian Crusade or the Crusade of 1101, you lead a smal expedition to help the fledgling crusader realms. Having to cross Byzantine territory and Anatolia would be a blast. Actually the First Crusade was the only one that managed to land cross anatolian turkish territory without incurring disaster.

Hell, the best thing would be to represent the first crusade, but it was initially an expedition of 30.000 soldiers(even though by the time they reached Jerusalem they were only 7000). Not that I think it matters much. Cortez had over 1000 men in his expedition, yet in Conquistador your expedition can't reach 20 people.

^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Barbariangender: ⚧ Arcane

Barbarian
    Parrots:
    Conquistador was certainly uncucked. You have no idea how controversial Cortez, Pizarro and the others are here in Latin America. In this age of sjw madness and leftism nobody considers them heroes anymore.

^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Scripted encounter from Expeditions: Way to the Holy Land

Including unrealistic Teutonic and African companions and post-battle moral dilemma

• Funny Funny x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Kem0sabegender: ⚧ Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    The strong, proud women conquistadors in the game go a long way of disabusing me of the notion that they are uncucked.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Barbariangender: ⚧ Arcane

Barbarian
    Parrots:
    I have to agree somewhat... but don't forget you can pick an expedition without any wymmin. You can also pick an expedition exclusively formed by racists and religious zealots. And wipe out natives more violently than even the worst depiction of "Cortez the Killer" could.

I still stand by calling it uncucked.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    The real vikings with their naruto bow skills.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)