Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Expeditions: Viking Gameplay Footage on Twitch Gamescom 2015 Broadcast

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Alex Mintsioulis; Expeditions: Viking; Logic Artists

The Logic Artists are at Gamescom this week to promote Expeditions: Viking, the next game in their Expeditions series, which was first announced back in May. One of their number, Alex Mintsioulis, was a guest on Twitch's Gamescom stream earlier today, where he gave us our first glimpse of Expeditions: Viking gameplay footage:

Alex's demonstration starts on the game's world map, which is now 2D, where he shows us some of its detailed campsite management mechanics. That's followed by a CYOA text event, which he's unfortunately forced to skip through due to lack of time, followed by a bit of combat. The combat system includes the option to use various weapons, attacks of opportunity and a "kill cam". Certain Codexers will be interested to learn that Expeditions: Viking will not grant experience point rewards for combat.

According to Alex, much like its predecessor, Expeditions: Viking will have two campaigns. In the first one, you'll have to consolidate your clan's power in the Viking homeland of Scandinavia, and in the second, you'll invade the British Isles. You'll have the opportunity to involve yourself with local politics, and there's also supposed to be some kind of overarching village management strategic layer to tinker with. The game's still in pre-alpha so it's all rather rudimentary-looking, but it looks like we have something good to look forward to next year.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Neato!
I like the main menu graphic. A nice "chain" to the original.

When will Codex Gamescom interviews go up?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
The timelapse during camping is cool. Everything visually is a big step up from Conquistador.

I wonder how deep they're going with the stronghold stuff though. I could see that being kind of lame if it isn't integrated into the rest of the game.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Hopefully those combat animations can be disabled and never seen again. Other than that this looks great, and after how good Conquistador was I can't imagine it not being one of the great GOTY contenders for 2016.

Elthosian

Arcane
Footage in youtube for other thirdworldians with slow as hell internet connections:

Tigranes

Arcane
Interesting. I liked the 3d exploration in Conquistador but I can get behind the 2d. It's a pity that there's an opportunity there to have a beautiful, beautiful handdrawn map, but instead we get some clipart aberration. Maybe they will hire someone to do something in the future? Mechanically it seems like a good extension of the survival stuff in the first game. Anything that builds on and extends the spirit of the first game will be a very good title.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
The real problem with Expeditions: Conquistador was its combat shallowness after a while. It had only a few abilities that became too repetitive to use after first 10 battles. I am hoping here that this will be fixed. Is it going to be so Avonaeon ?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
We hope to have a lot more abilities this time around, since we're going with a skill-based system rather than using classes. Combined with some of the other things that relate to combat, such as injuries, it will provide much deeper combat.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The real problem with Expeditions: Conquistador was its combat shallowness after a while. It had only a few abilities that became too repetitive to use after first 10 battles. I am hoping here that this will be fixed. Is it going to be so Avonaeon ?
This was a problem, but I equally felt the problem was the general... blandness of it too. It didn't always feel like using a skill impacted the way the battle turned out imo. Same for the gear.

At least I'm remembering a fairly constant 2-4 hits per person, depending mostly on their character class.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I am hoping for more personal text events, those really added character to your party.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Footage in youtube for other thirdworldians with slow as hell internet connections:

lmfao

that's the ching-chong translator from team liquid and the blonde who hangs out with the carrot top from starcraft 2

I guess they're "gaming personalities" now

haha, jesus

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
lmfao

that's the ching-chong translator from team liquid and the blonde who hangs out with the carrot top from starcraft 2

I guess they're "gaming personalities" now

haha, jesus
Do they stream or something? All the twitch hosts I've seen are popular streamers

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Do they stream or something? All the twitch hosts I've seen are popular streamers
uh, probably.

the ching-chonger was a volunteer staff member at team liquid, translating ching-chong articles afaik. started to appear as a translator at tournaments like dreamhack.

the blonde who can get it was/is the girlfriend/wife of some ginger canadian (you know the type) who really sucked at starcraft2 but was still in korea for some reason. they both tried pushing their way onto the sc2 korean scene and I guess they ended up at twitch.

since twitch originated as a streaming platform, with sc2 being relatively big once upon a time, it's not too surprising to see them work there. it's pretty funny though.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
We hope to have a lot more abilities this time around, since we're going with a skill-based system rather than using classes. Combined with some of the other things that relate to combat, such as injuries, it will provide much deeper combat.

Can you elaborate? When you mean skills, do you mean to say that the abilities in the old games are now skills? Will the skills themselves have levels that you can pool into to make them stronger? Will these also contain general purpose skills such as hunting, guarding etc like in the original game?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Can you elaborate? When you mean skills, do you mean to say that the abilities in the old games are now skills? Will the skills themselves have levels that you can pool into to make them stronger? Will these also contain general purpose skills such as hunting, guarding etc like in the original game?

Yes, abilities are now skills, same as the camping skills before, but skills can still contain abilities (I'll explain). We'll have 3 types of skills; Non-Combat, Combat and Passive skills. Most of the Non-Combat and Combat skills have 5 ranks, while most of the Passive skills only have 1 rank (passive skills are basically the same as the passive abilities in Conquistador, in fact, a lot of them will be carried over). A combat skill could be a Sword skill for example, where you might unlock abilities (Special attacks or similar) on rank 1,3 and 5, while 2 and 4 give you a passive increase to your sword wielding. Non-Combat skills include the ones from Conquistador plus a few more.

In general, we plan to have a lot more choices as you rank up, and it'll be much more open how you want to play. Since we're still pretty early in development, I just want to mention some things are bound to change, but I'm still more than happy to answer questions.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Basically, I'd love to see much more variation in melee skills. Stun\feint were neat but got old pretty quickly.

Fairfax

Arcane
Gamescom demo from the RPGWatch channel:

Fuck yes, looks great from the vidoes so far. Hope they manage to include 3D exploration again, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom