Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Viking delayed to February 2017

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Expeditions: Viking; Jonas Wæver; Logic Artists

This year is turning out to be a sparse one for RPGs, as game after game is delayed to 2017. This weekend, we learned that yet another anticipated title has joined the ranks of the postponed - Logic Artists' Expeditions: Viking, which was originally scheduled to come out in Q4 2016. Here's the press release announcing the delay, courtesy of Gamasutra:

Logic Artists announces the release of its upcoming historical RPG — Expeditions: Viking will be postponed until Q1 of next year with a tentative launch window in February 2017. The news comes with additional development plans.

“There are so many things we’d like to get just right with Viking. We’re confident with the game’s narrative and high level of player choice, but want to spend additional time on some of the more exciting and challenging elements of the game’s development," said Logic Artists Producer Ali Emek.

One of the interesting elements of combat in the Expeditions Series is the ways in which players are challenged by the environment. The basic system for crafting and laying traps in Expeditions: Conquistador will be expanded upon, so players will find more ways to manipulate the environment to their advantage with the introduction of environmental hazards in Expeditions: Viking. These are objects that are either in the environment when the combat begins or are placed in the environment by the player or enemy units during combat. Hazards will add an extra layer of tactical consideration to the player’s positioning and movement in combat.

Fans from around the world have been asking for the game to be available in a variety of languages on release. Logic Artists are also committed to take enough time to ensure that Expeditions: Viking will be available in English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, and Polish when it hits the stores. With over 200,000 words of dialogue, it’s an extensive undertaking.

“We’re also populating the campaign maps with lots of random encounters and side quests to reward those players who love to explore with a variety of experiences they may not face if they exclusively follow the main story quests," said Logic Artists Creative Dirctor Jonas Wæver.
The Age of Decadence dungeon crawler, the Codex's last hope for a turn-based RPGOTY 2016? I'm not sure I'd bet on that! On the bright side, this does mean 2017 is going to be one hell of a year.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Midgard suffers the touch of Fimbuls child fore the sons of the Oslofjord emerge.
Surt retreats before Ymir's kin, and the world is wrapped in a white cloak.
Who will tread the Whale road when the hour comes?
What fate awaits the son of the High One on the Saxon shore.

This is looking fuckin good, hope it gets a bit more attention than Conquistador, one o best realised Kickstarters out there.

Tigranes

Arcane
Logic Artists are also committed to take enough time to ensure that Expeditions: Viking will be available in English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, and Polish when it hits the stores. With over 200,000 words of dialogue, it’s an extensive undertaking.

That's about twice as many words (at 200k x 6) as this game can hope to sell. That's a lot of languages and a lot of work.

Day 1 purchase for me, hope they have the cashflow right for this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Battle Brothers is a more likely candidate, although I'm not sure that counts as a Tr00 RPG™.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Logic Artists are also committed to take enough time to ensure that Expeditions: Viking will be available in English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, and Polish when it hits the stores. With over 200,000 words of dialogue, it’s an extensive undertaking.

That's about twice as many words (at 200k x 6) as this game can hope to sell. That's a lot of languages and a lot of work.

Day 1 purchase for me, hope they have the cashflow right for this.

Weird, since I think Conquistador didn't exactly sell like hot cakes.

Blackstaff

Arbiter
That just shows that far more devs and money are needed to sustain the old school market. But with FIG in limbo and KS not looking very good, we are in for a few years of drought in between rare good years.

hivemind

I only hope that the combat animations will look a bit better than in the last gameplay demonstration, they felt as the weakest part

daveyd

Savant
That just shows that far more devs and money are needed to sustain the old school market. But with FIG in limbo and KS not looking very good, we are in for a few years of drought in between rare good years.

2016 is looking to be a pretty weak year for releases. However, there's quite a lot of PC exclusive RPGs that should be released in the next year or two.

Of course, more CRPG developers would be most welcome. But I'll take quality over quantity. At least Copper Dreams and Stygian got funded recently.

hivemind

2016 was the year of incline for the GD crowd, if it was for the RPG crowd too the codex would explode

Blackstaff

Arbiter

2016 is looking to be a pretty weak year for releases. However, there's quite a lot of PC exclusive RPGs that should be released in the next year or two.

Of course, more CRPG developers would be most welcome. But I'll take quality over quantity. At least Copper Dreams and Stygian got funded recently.
Of course, I agree. In particular for those two games. I've been playing sits recently on and off and it is really great.

I'm just saying that this particular market is still undeserved for now. There is enough place for multiple great crpgs each year, without any "the market is saturated110!!" hysteria.

CRPG niches have just got to be untapped, there is more than enough bitching and armchairing around the web to prove it but too few games with still too little support makes me think that there is a huge problem of publicity and marketing.

Otherwise the barely-there levels of support good RPG KSs get just in time to make the basic goal, if make it there at all, as well as poor post-release sales don't make statistical sense to me.

I'd like to hear what various resident devs think on this. Vault Dweller for instance, do you think AoD has managed to reach most of its potential audience who likely would have a favourable opinion of the game? Or that there is yet large swats of potential buyers who have either skipped it for wrong reasons (wrong by their own standards -eg. I know I have skipped games based on wrongly formed impressions and opinions, which I later have come to rediscover and like a lot) or even have yet to hear about the game at all? Or maybe hear favourably about it from the right favourable channels ie.marketingspeak ?

I personally think, however realistic or not, that AoD has the potential to have a phenomenal following but there are a couple of basic things keeping it from reaching out to the potential fans. I think publicity as an "oldschool" "hardcore" game is holding it back, as well as the ambigiuity of the game systems. I think that it is an excellent experience for fans of tactical combat challenges and adventure games as well as more traditional RPG fans in general but the game sort of professes to be in muddy waters where neither group can take a brief look at it and instantly have a clear impression of it, experiencing mismatched expectations and drawing confused conclusions from it. In this, I find plenty of fault with the design of game systems (not in any way I think would compromise the core ideals of the RP experience) but ultimately think that far greater number of people could be interested in it and have a good experience going in with the right frame of mind.

I have similarly convoluted impressions on the reception of a number of other recent indies and wonder about how the devs interpret their results.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'd like to hear what various resident devs think on this. Vault Dweller for instance, do you think AoD has managed to reach most of its potential audience who likely would have a favourable opinion of the game? Or that there is yet large swats of potential buyers who have either skipped it for wrong reasons (wrong by their own standards -eg. I know I have skipped games based on wrongly formed impressions and opinions, which I later have come to rediscover and like a lot) or even have yet to hear about the game at all? Or maybe hear favourably about it from the right favourable channels ie.marketingspeak ?
I think the market for games like AoD is bigger than 50,000. Over 180,000 wishlisted it, so there is some kind of interest no matter how weak.

Viata

Arcane
I've always wondered what is the market for Dungeon Crawlers like Wiz-clones and what do the devs consider a success in sales for this kind of genre.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I only hope that the combat animations will look a bit better than in the last gameplay demonstration, they felt as the weakest part

They will. We've been putting in a lot of new animations there, and replacing some old ones with mo-capped ones.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Battle Brothers is a more likely candidate, although I'm not sure that counts as a Tr00 RPG™.

Highly doubt BB gets released this year based on the ambition of features the devs have been floating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom