Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Expeditions: Conquistador, Turn-based Tactical RPG Now on Kickstarter

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Expeditions: Conquistador; Kickstarter; Logic Artists

A new game called Expeditions: Conquistador has launched their Kickstarter campaign to help fund finishing the game. Taking place in Central America around 1518, Expeditions: Conquistador is a party-based, exploration-fueled RPG with tactical, turn-based combat, "a touch of strategic resource management," and an element of choose-your-own-adventure with choices and consequences. Some of the advertised features include random events, high replayability, detailed character management, a dynamic trading system, and "campaign maps based on actual topological maps of the Dominican Republic and Mexico."

Expeditions: Conquistador is a tactical roleplaying game with a touch of strategic resource management and a pinch of choose-your-own-adventure. Conquistador is set in a rarely visited part of history which is rife with mystery, political intrigue, and good old-fashioned violence.

You will take on the role of a Spanish Conquistador in South America in 1518-1520. Select the members of your expedition and explore campaign maps based on the actual topological maps of Hispaniola and Mexico. Through intricately branching dialogue, you will engage with the characters and situations that you encounter across these uncharted areas, and when it’s time to spill blood, a tactical combat system of great depth and brutality will let you control your individual troops in battle.

Combat is intimate and detailed, and failure has great consequences. Every expedition member has a face, a past, a set of personality traits, and of course a combat role - their morale will change depending on your decisions, they will chime in when you're weighing your options, and if they fall in battle, their injuries will carry over to the world map, where they must be treated by your doctors until they're back on their feet. Should you fail to treat your expedition members, they will die and be gone for good.

Choice and consequence is central to the play experience of Conquistador. As the leader of the expedition, you will face difficult decisions about the use of your troops and your resources, as well as how to engage with the factions of the savage New World. Will you defy history and be a diplomatic envoy of peace? Or will you be a ruthless conqueror determined to lay all of the Aztec Empire at your feet?

$15 gets you a digital copy of the game, and you can study the other rewards at the game's Kickstarter page. You can also visit the devblog at www.logicartists.com.

Thanks Avonaeon!

Captain Shrek

:takemymoney:

Also, why does everything look better than Wasteland 2?????!

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Had a quick look, seems decent. Will have a more thorough look at the video and such later on, backing seems likely (grid, turn-based, party combat - Hell yes).

Looks VERY nice and interesting! I can't believe how fortune has smiled upon old school crpg lovers with this kickstarter thing. There could actually be games worth looking forward to playing in the next few years! Just hope they garner enough attention an get a lot of money for their stretch goals.

Mortmal

Arcane
:takemymoney:

Funding is mandatory, i and many others are lamenting since ages about only getting heroic fantasy rpgs, well only heroic fantasy action rpgs. Now on paper at least it sounds like exactly what i want.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Aguirre-der-Zorn-Gottes_Klaus-Kinski.jpg

Backed. :obviously:

Morkar Left

Does anybody know how much strategic element is into the game. First I was thinking it would be a bit like Dark Omen with more rpg in it but then I realized that there aren't much members of your expedition. Maybe a bit more like JA2? I think we need a codex interview for it. Looks very promising.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
First off, thanks for the nice "welcome", I can tell you we are very excited about this game and we're happy to see that we're not the only ones who thinks so.
Do we know their position on atrocities towards the natives?
We are very aware of the atrocities committed by the Conquistadors. The Conquistadors were not what we consider good people, or righteous as they saw themselves and who saw the natives as sub-human.
This game will be chock-full of the assholes you'd imagine went there. You'll be presented with lots of scenarios where you'll have the option of being as ruthless as history was, but it wont be a lecture and neither will it be completely black and white.
The game wont force you to be a tyrant, but you'll be surrounded by them and it's up to you as a player to decide how you want to act.
Does anybody know how much strategic element is into the game. First I was thinking it would be a bit like Dark Omen with more rpg in it but then I realized that there aren't much members of your expedition. Maybe a bit more like JA2?
I haven't played JA2 personally, but probably more in that vein, yeah. Cover matters during combat, and depending how well concealed you are, ranged attacks will get penalties. Before each battle you choose up to 6 followers to bring into combat, each class having unique abilities, based on their rank.
I think we need a codex interview for it.

If the Codex is willing, we'd be very interested.

Morkar Left

Avonaeon
Thanks for the replies.
If I understood you well you have a selection of let's say 25 people and every battle you get to choose 6 of them while the others stay as reserve? How many enemies will they face? Always 6 vs 6? What when you loose? Is there a new battle directly following like e.g. in Mount & Blade till one side is wiped out or retreats? Or do you mean to get to choose up to 6 members from your base camp to explore and fight in the surroundings?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
During character creation you select 10 followers that you will have with you during the game, out of those 10, you choose up to 6 to bring into combat. During the game you have the opportunity to recruit more followers so you can end up with more than when you started. Generally you face 6 enemies, but during certain combats you might encounter more at a time. When you lose combat, either by not meeting an objective, or having all your followers incapacitated, there's a chance the injuries sustained in combat is carried over into the worldmap (Where you explore and engage in dialogue), and you must then treat those followers using your doctors.

I'm quite familiar with JA2, I just haven't played it :)

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I don't see how that engine can produce combat which captures the flavor of the awesome battles that took place during the conquest of Mexico.

It doesn't look like it can handle any authentic tactics, or making the conquistadors hugely outnumbered.

Meh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom