Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Conquistador Sequel Announced

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer
Expeditions: Colonial USA

buy/sell/trade slaves for tea and all that shit

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
expeditions: Anabasis/xenophon bitches

Persian_Empire%2C_490_BC.png

I wouldn't mind expeditions: L'Grand Armée... are you a bad enough dude to ruin russia and beat scorched earth / general winter?

Expeditions: hannibal would be cool as ice too.

Generally speaking all of this shit doesn't really compare to cortez demolishing a empire through wiles and crazyness since they're too balanced and large (even Anabasis - it's called the march of the 10000). But it's not like there is a shortage of military fuckups in history.

Thing is, if you're 'getting into trouble' on something you 'know' by hindsight and history is a dumb idea, people tend to take it badly being railroaded there. The best solution might be setting the stage without even pretending user interaction possible, and just start at the point of no return - in the case of Anabasis just after the betrayal and just going 'ok, now you have to escape the persian empire. Or conquer it/sell out, whatever comes naturally'.

Last edited:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Would rather have a Marco Polo kind of adventure. Or Os Lusíadas - aka the portuguese Odyssey that media never gave a damn about.

But Expeditions: Odysseus would be damn cool too.

The Lusiadas would be pretty god damn cool, its the portuguese own fault of not promoting it.

I personally vote Xenophon Anabasis, Inland march.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Would rather have a Marco Polo kind of adventure. Or Os Lusíadas - aka the portuguese Odyssey that media never gave a damn about.
As I Portuguese Historian I can tell you the reason why nobody gives a damn about Os Lusíadas: because it's nowhere near as relevant as the Odyssey or the other classical epic poetry.

That said, there's a very awesome album by Savatage about the Portuguese discoveries and journey to India.

As a general rule, pretty much everything tough in Portuguese schools about our history is hyped up to be very important and epic and whatnot. But it's all BS. Our ABSOLUTE failure mid 16th century at politics is barely mentioned, our personal union with Spain is blown out of proportion, the battles against the French are spoken of as something very important (where in fact they were pathetic field battles), the whole Pink Map thingy in Africa was a huge flop by Portuguese failing monarchy, where they basically shot themselves in the foot (to the point where British History books barely mention, so puny an occurrence it was), and it's referred to as a grand conspiracy by the evil British to take our lands away from us, lands that were rightfully theirs...

In the meantime, stuff that really mattered goes unmentioned. Our third king was one of the most brilliant minds of his time and put Portugal, administratively speaking, in the forefront of Europe, the way our first king brilliantly dealt with Castille in his fight for independence is not studied at all, it's all "kill them heathen Muslims!", the way we managed to reach Japan and the eastern Asia before everyone, the role of our navy in our worldwide presence...

I guess it's the same everywhere though: History thought in schools is meant to breed love for the country. It's all BS.

Which gives a good explanation why Portugal is the european superpower that we all know today.

The thing is Portugal was never really a super power. We were a strong nation overseas, but we were never a proper Empire.

That said, the reason Portugal sucks today (even though far from alone on that) is because of a couple of centuries where politicians went for fuck ups after fuck ups. If we had jumped off the monarchic bandwagon some 30 years earlier and if Salazar had died sooner and his dictatorship been dismantled sooner, we'd be as good as any other European country.

Unfortunately, our dumb nationalistic ideals got in the way of development, and we dropped to the bottom of the list. Not that we were that far up it anyway.

Portugal was a country of about a million people in its golden era after the Reconquista, that fact it discovered half the world by itself is an astonishing accomplishment. Even today it only has about what 10 million people? Staying power was hard to get, and the defeat at Ksar-el-Kebir just complicated matters. Blind nationalism is stupid I agree, but a bit of pride and exceptionalism does not hurt, its better than self loathing.

himmy

Arcane
With the risk of sounding like an easily-pleased fan (the Codex's greatest sin), I'm looking forward to any setting they have in mind, as long as it is a previously under-used one, which is what made the first one special.

I also liked how Expeditions: Conquistador's approach to the historical reality managed to please both those decrying the sugar-coating of the West's colonialist history and the so-called anti-political correctness crowd, so more of that would also be good.

deuxhero

Arcane
For a guess nobody has made yet: Lewis and Clark/American west (You can milk all the people who remember Oregon Trail)

For the absolute long shot I hope isn't right: Space/Mars/Future

aratuk

Cipher
Expeditions: East India Company.

People complain about corporations being too powerful today, but a British company ruled India with private armies for 100 years, and also had its fingers in everything from the American Revolution to the Opium Wars in China.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Dunno why, but I confused the announcement with a sequel to Inquisitor: http://af.gog.com/game/inquisitor?as=1649904300 - was that a good game?

Anyway, fun fact about Logic Artists: they are based in Copenhagen! So the Viking theme indeed seems fitting... (although I guess all PC's would be capped at 2/10 INT since Vikings were mostly drunken dumb-asses).

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Expeditions: ITZ - Western Civilization's Last Stand

Kongoids. Again. Even more than last time: fuckers seem to materialize out of the very refuse of the radioactive wasteland.

Ravenous black eyes. The shining glint of machetes as they close in for the rape.

There's nowhere to run, and nothing to rely on but your MAC 17 machine gun.

What a way to save the white race.

More real than your worst nightmare!
  • Roam the post-apocalyptic wastelands of the Kwanzanian Empire, fully engulfed in multi-kult madness.
  • All your akshuns are permanent. Around blacks, never relax.
  • No juju, no "thrusting katanas". Pistols, rockets, submachine guns, flame-throwers and cunning are all the majifick you need.

*Stretch-goals: Bunker stronghold, Negropolis mega-dungeon

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
As long as local savages are being culled I don't really care where the setting is. With proper improvements to the combat this game could be great.

Disgruntled

Savant
This is one title I wouldnt mind poneying up some kickstarter money for. Although Id have said the same for Shadowrun Hong Kong and ultimately didnt bother.
As I reflect on my love for the first expeditions, its the fresh story, characters and setting that really made it shine. Ill be happy with anything outside ye olde Europe. Silk Road is a sure bet if they want a good selection of cultures.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Didn't they say there wouldn't be a sequel (or was it an expansion/DLC?) because the game didn't make enough money to justify working further on the series?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Didn't they say there wouldn't be a sequel (or was it an expansion/DLC?) because the game didn't make enough money to justify working further on the series?
That was expansion/DLC

Hope you improve the sequel's graphics so that it looks on pair with The Incredible Adventures of Van Hellsing.
And more importantly - that you have decided to ditch the awful Unity engine.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Expeditions: Wild West was my guess. That or Expeditions: Crusades.

Avonaeon will the Player Char be able to take part in fights and stuff this time round?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
That was expansion/DLC

Ah ok, thank you. Good luck with the sequel then!

Hope you improve the sequel's graphics so that it looks on pair with The Incredible Adventures of Van Hellsing.

Unity isn't bad – there has to be a reason that many - also high profile - developers use it. And performance in Unity can be good if the developers know what they are doing, e.g. Cities Skylines. I can't speak for the developers of course, but I don't think it makes sense to ditch all previous efforts for a (probably tightly budgeted) sequel and start anew - unless the engines is limiting to what you envision.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer

We're definitely improving the graphic quality this time around, I haven't played Van Helsing yet, so I don't know if it compares, but we've learned a lot since Conquistador and with Clandestine. We haven't ditched the Unity engine, we know it much better now, and it's allowed us to make a bunch of tools that really improve our workflow.

Avonaeon will the Player Char be able to take part in fights and stuff this time round?

Yup

Kiste

Augur
Expeditions: Belgian Congo, if they want to play it really hardcore.

lecture-10-decolonization-neocolonialism-belgian-congo-south-africa-37-638.jpg

You have to be smart with your ressource management. Save bullets and shit. Get more hands. Harvest enough rubber and ivory to keep good King Leopold happy.

Last edited:

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Expeditions: Europe
imigrantes_mediterraneo_giuseppe_lami_0.jpg

The perilous mission of african explorers, to reach the shores of the northern "civilized world", running away from famine, corrupt leaders and war.
And their quest to survive in a civilized society filled with corrupt leaders, savage liberal capitalism, exploration of the lower classes and economic crime.

Avonaeon So since you have decided to descend once again and interact with the lowly commoners for a while: What about the Gamersgate version of the first game? Will we ever receive any patch past 1.5?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom