Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

kaizoku

Arcane
This is an area, where real history was even more bizarre than most fiction usually tries to be. The pieces of the puzzle were a local nahua slave girl and a spanish friar who had spent some time in mayan captivity and knew some mayan. Luckily for the spanish, the slave girl also knew mayan. She later learned spanish and became Cortes' lover.
sex slave you say... I like where this is going *gi gi ty conquity gity*

@ Avonaeon
Regarding out-of-combat gameplay (maybe I missed it), but am I right to assume there is no free roaming and the game plays like Master of Magic and the likes?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I just looked up Master of Magic, because I haven't heard of it and it looks awesome :D I'll definitely be checking that out!
From what I quickly saw, yeah, I guess it's kind of like that. To compare it to something I know, Heroes of Might and Magic comes close. You have a world map that you traverse, with (mostly) randomly placed pickups and events scattered throughout. The random events happen as you travel, so they don't appear on the map.

MCA
Question about "out-of-combat" gameplay: I got the feeling everything is hex based. Wouldn't it be better if "travelling mode" was realised in real time (something like NWN2:SoZ overland map for example, or Fallout global map), and only battles on the hex grid?

Why? I think it could work either way but I'm curious why you have such a preference.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Question about "out-of-combat" gameplay: I got the feeling everything is hex based. Wouldn't it be better if "travelling mode" was realised in real time (something like NWN2:SoZ overland map for example, or Fallout global map), and only battles on the hex grid?

Why? I think it could work either way but I'm curious why you have such a preference.

Immershun! :lol:

Seriously though, I agree with you. It could work both ways. And I am fine with either of them. It is just that overland map was one of the things I quite enjoyed in SoZ. Thinking a bit more about that, hex-based movement or any other with limited distance to cover at once is probably even better. It kind of simulates the time flow nicely. Like, e.g., you can travel 15 hexes in 12 hours and then you need to rest, night falls etc. Would be cool if such a thing could be implemented that you can actually move, say, 25 hexes instead of 15 (something like forced, exhausting walk), but as a trade-off, your party would get some penalties when encountering the enemy.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You have a world map that you traverse, with (mostly) randomly placed pickups and events scattered throughout. The random events happen as you travel, so they don't appear on the map.
Nice! Any chance of getting to see this in action? Perhaps in a future Kickstarter update?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
You have a world map that you traverse, with (mostly) randomly placed pickups and events scattered throughout. The random events happen as you travel, so they don't appear on the map.
Nice! Any chance of getting to see this in action? Perhaps in a future Kickstarter update?
Absolutely, we'll put up a video some time after we get back from Gamescom :)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is an area, where real history was even more bizarre than most fiction usually tries to be. The pieces of the puzzle were a local nahua slave girl and a spanish friar who had spent some time in mayan captivity and knew some mayan. Luckily for the spanish, the slave girl also knew mayan. She later learned spanish and became Cortes' lover.

Libruls always seeing everything through their perverted and evil mindset. Dona Marina was Spanish slave, same as Grendchildren of Montezuma, Counts and Marquees of Moztezuma and Tlaxalans were treated like Colored Folks and civilized Indian tribes in KWA. :retarded:

Hope that game will be founded there is not enough quasi historical games like Nethergate.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
I also think you should tone down the healing. Consider making it a full turn action for both the doctor and the patient, it will be much more believable this way. Treating wounds should take more time than shooting a gun, and the guy getting treated shouldn't be able to act. Or at least decrease the HP gain, getting 75% HP back at once seems a bit too much.

Circling enemies to flank them seems to be a bit too easy, especially since you seem to get the full benefit even if you do it with a doctor. Maybe going around them while you're next to them should provoke an attack of opportunity?

EDIT: Or only grant the flanking bonus if both of them attack (only the second attacker would get the bonus then).

Also, skill cooldowns. I hate them. Please consider getting rid of at least some of them. There have been some discussions about this subject lately, if you feel like reading:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/gamasutra-against-ability-cooldowns.71874/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/cooldowns-the-bane-of-rpgs.75025/

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist

Libruls always seeing everything through their perverted and evil mindset. Dona Marina was Spanish slave, same as Grendchildren of Montezuma, Cunts and Marquees of Moztezuma and Tlaxalans were treated like Colored Folks and civilized Indian tribes in KWA. :retarded:
FUCKING LIBRULS RUINING THE WORLD. LIBRULS CAUSED WW2. LIBRULS CAUSED THE CIVIL WAR. LIBRULS EMBRACE CANNIBALISM. LIBRULS EMBRACE GENOCIDE. LIBRULS EMBRACE RACISM. LIBRULS ARE THE MOST EVIL PEOPLE TO EVER COME INTO EXISTENCE!
YOU KNOW WHO ELSE WAS A LIBRUL? HITLER!

pocahaunted

Arcane

Libruls always seeing everything through their perverted and evil mindset. Dona Marina was Spanish slave, same as Grendchildren of Montezuma, Cunts and Marquees of Moztezuma and Tlaxalans were treated like Colored Folks and civilized Indian tribes in KWA. :retarded:
FUCKING LIBRULS RUINING THE WORLD. LIBRULS CAUSED WW2. LIBRULS CAUSED THE CIVIL WAR. LIBRULS EMBRACE CANNIBALISM. LIBRULS EMBRACE GENOCIDE. LIBRULS EMBRACE RACISM. LIBRULS ARE THE MOST EVIL PEOPLE TO EVER COME INTO EXISTENCE!
YOU KNOW WHO ELSE WAS A LIBRUL? HITLER!

You're immensely butthurt about your shitty tribal ancestors being a bunch of bloodthirsty murderers.

In before Christians!!111one present biased numbers. You do know how ironic your shtick is, right? He's mad at libruls, you're butthurt about the Spanish conquistadores, but both of your discourses are rooted in blind prejudice.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
The difference is, commisar derpo is butthurt about AETHISTS and LIBRULS in his every. single. post. He must be living in Bóldupowo :smug:

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
You're immensely butthurt about your shitty tribal ancestors being a bunch of bloodthirsty murderers.

In before Christians!!111one present biased numbers. You do know how ironic your shtick is, right? He's mad at libruls, you're butthurt about the Spanish conquistadores, but both of your discourses are rooted in blind prejudice.
The Aztecs were no more bloodthirsty than any other empire throughout history. Please don't make me repeat myself on who the Aztecs actually sacrificed. Blind prejudice heh? Funny considering your first sentence.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Bullshit, which of the other contemporaneous empires had a habit of extracting tribute from their neighbors directly in the form of human life to appease their deities? While there have been instances of empires and or cultures engaging in methodical murder it hasn't been the norm, so don't try to draw any silly parallelisms. Plus, I don't give a shit who they sacrificed, or for what reason, the Aztecs engaged in brutal and despicable practices that are in no way defensible.

How is my first sentenced prejudiced? There's physical evidence that they were keen on spilling blood and engaged in wanton murder as a means of subjugation. They might not have been primitive tribes, but surely behaved as if that was the case.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Bullshit, which of the other contemporaneous empires had a habit of extracting tribute from their neighbors directly in the form of human life to appease their deities? While there have been instances of empires and or cultures engaging in methodical murder it hasn't been the norm, so don't try to draw any silly parallelisms. Plus, I don't give a shit who they sacrificed, or for what reason, the Aztecs engaged in brutal and despicable practices that are in no way defensible.

How is my first sentenced prejudiced? There's physical evidence that they were keen on spilling blood and engaged in wanton murder as a means of subjugation. They might not have been primitive tribes, but surely behaved as if that was the case.
This form of tribute that was done under the consent of both involved? This form of tribute that also had aztec warriors captured and sacrificed? I can also play the moral relativism to defend the human sacrifice bit if you like. Do I also have to show you atrocities committed by the Romans/Mongols/French/British/Timurids/Chinese/Japanese/Assyrians/Ottomans/Russians/Spanish etc?
Using your logic all of these behaved like primitive tribes.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

This form of tribute that was done under the consent of both involved? This form of tribute that also had aztec warriors captured and sacrificed? I can also play the moral relativism to defend the human sacrifice bit if you like. Do I also have to show you atrocities committed by the Romans/Mongols/French/British/Timurids/Chinese/Japanese/Assyrians/Ottomans/Russians/Spanish etc?
Using your logic all of these behaved like primitive tribes.
What does any of this have to do with video games?

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
tuluse, Westerners get butthurt over my butthurt over Spain and argument arises.
It demonstrates how different perspectives can strengthen the game if done right.

likaq

Arcane
Back to more news, bitComposer is doing more than just putting us on Steam, they have also offered to help with regionalizing and distribution in Russia (and perhaps Germany if all goes well), this is terrific news for us all as we don’t have the manpower or resources ourselves to do a proper Russian or German translation. We also have provided a tool for users to play with their own translations if they want to (some people requested this feature), the readme file explaining the process is included in the game build.

When?

The long awaited release date: May 30, 2013 (Which is before the end of Q2 by a whole month!). Once the game is up on the various distribution sites we will be able to generate the redeem codes for each of you based on the platform you chose already in the survey

Yeah!
Incline will start 30.05.2013.

:bounce:

:yeah:

Modron

Arcane
Always meant to back this but never got around to it. Oh well I will end up buying it sometime soon specially if it shows up on Greenman. Haven't been following its development since the kickstarter ended surprised it is on track for the end of February.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom