Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by Jaedar, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    We increased the difficulty of a lot of the battles in Mexico, precisely to try and balance it better. There isn't any level scaling in the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    Is this game getting any more patches?

A few suggestions:

1. The UI needs more tooltips. It took me a while to understand what all the menus and buttons were for.
    2. The game really really really needs a "Restart battle" menu option during combat. I hate having to exit to the main menu, then reload, then go through the events all over again.
    3. There needs to be some way to tell cairns/markers apart on the map based on whether you have visited them or not. Maybe change the icon or the icon color.

Thank you.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Shadowfang Arcane

Shadowfang
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

Who said the game was historically accurate? Jack Dandy and I were referring to the racist and aggressive approach under the euphemism of historically accurate approach. He even wrote it within quotes while i went with italic.

The game mentions smallpox several times, unless you wanted the ability to sneeze at your
    opponents, its quite in the game.
    There is local politics/diplomacy at the mexico part of the game. You can gather several settlements together against the Aztecs, its very simple but sounds a lot like what you were expecting.
    Religion does shave a small part on the game but hardly anything that can influence the outcome of it.

^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Actually, there is also a specific achievement for spreading smallpox in Tenochtitlan, it only appears in the Steam version tho. You do it by helping that one doctor around the area.

^ Top  
  5. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    That would defeat the whole purpose of their fancy failstates for losing battles and their injury system.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  6. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    :hmmm:

Are you really one of those people? I mean, ironman is OK, but only as long as you can load a previous save quickly and easily. For instance, being able to load a previous save game during a battle is a major reason why Blackguards was playable as opposed to tedious. Or any tactics game like JA2 or X-COM for that matter.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I guess. I restarted the game twice after getting into really tough, potential un-winable situations, but then I breezed through the game on my 3rd attempt.

One of the cool things about the game is that you can lose a battle and not lose the game. If you just restart the game every time you lose, you miss all that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Really can't say anything but ditto on Tuluse on this one.
    They went the trouble of making it so lost battles =\= game over. It would be a complete waste if people could just easily restart any lost battle.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. 7/10 Learned

7/10
    Parrots:
    Soo... Is the second campaign any good? Also, is it harder?

I just managed to beat the tutorial island and found it rather easy, at least on normal, though it wasn't my first attempt. The last Esteban encounter and defending the governor were the only somewhat challenging fights. For some reason, I didn't get the bullshit "defend for 10 turns" random event.

As Tuluse said, the game's difficulty stems mostly from the fact, that it does a bad job of explaining the finer points of gameplay to you, so you'll probably get owned on your first playthrough. Once you get the hang of things, most fights can be won with a flawless victory, because the AI simply charges at you and you can flank and cut them down one by one.

^ Top  
  10. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It's good, the map is bigger, it has a lot of stuff to do, even some secret places to discover and you can build your own fort. So if you like the game - try it. As for the difficulty, I think it's pretty much the same as Hispaniola.

^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Play it on a harder difficulty if you find it too easy. It makes the AI a bit smarter, too.

Also, I found the tutorial to be really great, actually. What didn't it explain to you?

^ Top  
  12. 7/10 Learned

7/10
    Parrots:
    For example, the fact that you can really screw yourself over, if you don't gather a large supply of medicine in case you have to treat several followers at the same time, which is pretty likely, given the fact that the game likes to throw random encounters at you.

^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    "Screw yourself over"?
    The first time one of my guys died because we ran outta herbs, I simply made sure to always have a good amount on me. And that was on Ironman Hard.

Did you let half your crew die before thinking that it would be a good idea to conserve medicine?

^ Top  
  14. 7/10 Learned

7/10
    Parrots:
    The thing is, you probably won't have enough herbs if you never get off the road, since they mostly spawn in the jungle. Once you have 3 wounded guys and not enough medicine, it's usually too late to gather more. So the solution is: gather herbs beforehand or don't let your guys get wounded.

^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    I fail to see the problem here. They explain about injuries quite clearly and precisely in the tutorial, let you know the percentages of a wound deteriorating overnight...
    Even if you get 3 of your guys wounded at once, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't make it to town and then sell your stuff for some medicine or find some herbs and make them yourself.

Especially in the beginning of the game.

^ Top  
  16. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    Is there a way to turn off autosaving? It causes an annoying stutter at the beginning of each day.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    Also, is there a penalty when wearing armor for ranged attacks? My units are missing with bows and muskets about half the time, whereas the enemy is more successful.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Parrots:
    I don't think so. I do think the natives have more classes which are skilled with ranged weapons. There is pretty much no reason to use one with a non-hunter as a Spaniard. I think they've patched in higher chance to hit since the last time I played though.

The only time I used ranged attacks with soldiers was setting them into overwatch mode (don't remember what it's called now) right as I reached engagement rage. Just because it gave a ~30 chance at doing some damage compared to nothing.

Actually, sometimes I would screw up with a bottleneck and have to shoot or do nothing with soldiers.

^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Pretty sure armor doesn't effect it. You simply have to give about 2 level ups to your ranged guys before they become useful in combat. (Don't forget to take the walk your shots perk, it's basically mandatory for them)

^ Top  
  20. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    OK, I switched my hunters for some scouts and I had a much easier time fighting some Aztecs in a 'burned out village'. Thanks.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Dreaad Arcane

Dreaad
    Parrots:
    Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
    What part of preparing for emergencies in case of .... an emergency, seems like bad gameplay to you? Fucking need a compass to point you to those herbs or else you can't figure it out?

^ Top  
  22. 7/10 Learned

7/10
    Parrots:
    What part of getting owned by a mechanic you had no prior experience with, can't you figure out?

^ Top  
  23. Dreaad Arcane

Dreaad
    Parrots:
    Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
    ^ That's called gameplay. I don't see how hoarding all the resources you can find is somehow a difficult concept in a strategy game.

^ Top  
  24. I'm With Her Severian Silk for prison Arcane

Severian Silk
    Parrots:
    The part where you say you aren't an idiot.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Parrots:
    During my game I got loads of herbs and, because medicine was low in town I sold a lot of them and made a hefty profit.

Then I somehow ate nearly all the rations on the island...

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)