Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Exoplanet: First Contact - a space western action-RPG - now available on Early Access

Turjan

Arcane
Very rare setting also. Too bad much worse games get money thrown at them and they barely made 50K$.
I have the feeling that people tend to get a bit more savvy about Kickstarters. The developer(s) probably didn't ask for enough money in the first place. It triggers the fraud detector of some people if you look at the game footage and compare it to the money that is asked for making it. I'm not sure it gets obvious enough that the game already exists to some extent, even if only in a very rudimentary way.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The last update shown that they got systems in place. The money the get from KS will help them dedicate their full time to fill the world with more areas and quests and polish it. The main part of the game (engine + design and lore) is already done.

I feel this game deserves more support than it is getting. It looks more awesome in all its design features than Fallout 3 or 4. Unless you are Bethestard.

Turjan

Arcane
We will see. The switch to the Cowboy angle didn't really increase my interest. I thought it looked more enticing before that. Anyway, I hope they fixed the combat, which had some hit detection problems in the alpha and, as you talk about Bethesda, the same weirdness regarding height detection as Morrowind.

likaq

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Drama time! http://imgur.com/gallery/0floo

There's something suspicious about this game.
by Carnacki · 11 hours ago

So I'm sure many of you saw this great front page post on a new game that's being funded.
Z0r6tZH.jpg

It swiftly gained in popularity, and hit the front page relatively fast. http://imgur.com/gallery/BQP9E TL;DR Spambots used to make this game seem more popular than it may be. Shady business practice from someone who wants more of your money.

As I read through the comments, I noticed something. All the comments were a few words in length and unerringly positive.
3aUzbFC.png

I quickly became suspicious. They seemed exactly like YouTube Comment Bots.

Sure enough, upon further inspection, I found that a -large- majority of the comments were from fresh accounts.

This kind of behavior isn't cool, especially on Imgur.

I'm hoping to raise some awareness on this, as shady behavior like this only hurts indie developers.

As you can see, in some cases it was -blatantly- obvious that they used bots.

We can't let this kind of thing stand. I've lost all interest in supporting this game after finding out they're pulling this kind of stunt. Popularity in your game should be based upon the game itself, not the amount of money you pour into fake reviews and spambots.

Devs discussing it in the comments: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/287489203/exoplanet-first-contact/comments

ArchAngel

Arcane
The Imgur are bunch of fag idiots. Nothing to see here.
or if you want to see the devs response:
Creator Alersteam about 5 hours ago
Sander B and other backers of Exoplanet,

We really wanted to fund the development of the Spaceship feature, so we decided to go all in and use all of our connections and friends in the game related media and sites in these 3 final days of Exoplanet’s Kickstarter camping to attract new backers.

One of our friends from the game related giveaway portals decided to ask his big user base to help us in reaching more exposure in this short period of time. These users who upvoted and commented our gallery are actually real people, directed form his site to Imgur.

When we noticed that they leave a simple, sometimes really short commentaries, that could be suspicious and remind of the activity of bots, and that this PR move probably is violating the rules of Imgur, we asked our friends to stop directing traffic to our gallery.

Our team apologizes for this misunderstanding. Using bots or other illegal or controversial means to promote the game is against our own philosophy and policy of development. We rely on the judgment of real people who decide to back our project if they like it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Here is the link to the site that helped us to increase our exposure for reaching the stretch goals.
http://www.grabthegames.com/
As soon as we discovered the possible controversial effect of their actions, we reported back to them and they shut down the event that was directing the traffic to the Imgur.

Looks very respectable to me, nothing to see here.

Turjan

Arcane
Just to make it clear, I didn't back the Kickstarter campaign. I posted the old images to show that this has been around for years. At that time, they sold alpha access in an indie bundle, and that's where I have the game from. You had to register at several sites to get access to the current installer (they put an old one in the bundle). Then they switched access procedures around several times and I was not able to get the then following alpha. Signs of life of the project were very spotty. They sold alpha access for $10 which entitled you to a copy of the full game. I guess those buyers still wait.

By the way, the several years old entries I referred to were still available on the alersteam site when the Kickstarter campaign started, but I don't see them anymore. All in all, the project doesn't really make me feel confident. I decided to stay away from the campaign.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anybody remember this?

Hello! We’re the Alersteam and happy to introduce you our project, made in keeping with the highest traditions old-school action-RPG genre.

In few weeks we will release a completely new closed alpha version for our backers and press. If you’d like to receive the access as a press or blogger just drop us a message!
Exoplanet: First Contact is third person view action-RPG set in Space Western universe where future technology meets Wild West morals. Wild and cruel planet called K'Tharsis, a human colony distant from primary trade routes where soulless corporation and bloodthirsty mercenaries fighting for the remaining mines of valuable mineral turned prospectors and aborigines into the slaves. A player will have to face the results of “antigravium crystal rush” to make difficult decisions and reap the consequences of his choices.

Depending on feedback, we're going to decide the Steam Early Access release date. The first impression is critical, and we're going to take your feedback very seriously, look at the project from another perspective and try and fix all the critical problems so that the Early Access version could deliver much more enjoyable and smooth experience with the least amount of bugs. Also, we’d like to make it up to you for the long wait by offering you more gameplay time! According to our stats, even a cursory look at all of the points of interest in Exoplanet would take a couple of hours, and the storyline and some side quests will help you spread the enjoyment over a bunch of evenings.
For additional information about Exoplanet: First Contact, visit our website, Kickstarter page, or follow us on social media:
http://alersteam.com/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/287489203/exoplanet-first-contact
https://www.facebook.com/ExoplanetFirstContact
https://twitter.com/alersteam
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93077318

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The game is probably going to be terrible, but I'm sure the developers would profit from our professional feedback.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They said the game is also inspired by (real) Fallout games and quest design should reflect that.
That is main reason I backed :D
I am a sucker for (real) Fallout name dropping :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom