Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Exclusive Reveal: Realms Beyond, an upcoming fantasy RPG from the developers of Chaos Chronicles

Chrio

Novice
So yeah, I guess he can brew coffee and do the dishes or something.

The toilets need some love too.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
Cool, seems like it's the closest thing to new D&D game on the horizon.
Damned, I'm stareved for such a game.
Getting strong Divine Divinity vibes (artstyle), would be cool to have open world combined with TB combat!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Epic! Massive! Uncounted! Sprawling! Bustling! Hundreds! Thousands! Complex!

Sure sounds like an ambitious plan for a very bigly RPG. I wouldn't get too excited just yet.
TBH, I find "hundreds of spells, thousands of items" things to worry, rather than be excited, about even if they do pull it off.
Who knows? Maybe they have more content salvaged from Chaos Chronicle than they let up on.

V_K

Arcane

Sure sounds like an ambitious plan for a very bigly RPG. I wouldn't get too excited just yet.
TBH, I find "hundreds of spells, thousands of items" things to worry, rather than be excited, about even if they do pull it off.
Who knows? Maybe they have more content salvaged from Chaos Chronicle than they let up on.
No, I mean in general sense. There's no way one can design thousands distinctive items, it's vey likely going to be a +1% damage vs. +1% to-hit kind of thing. Ditto with spells.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think people are taking that blurb too seriously. Hundreds of spells, thousands of items, blah blah. All RPGs do that, I don't even read that stuff.

Maybe I should have quoted this in the newspost instead: https://www.realms-beyond.com/welcome-realms-beyond-rpg/

Welcome to our blog!
December 12, 2017

The idea for Chaos Chronicles sprang from one simple fact: We sat together at lunch one day and discussed a couple of recent RPGs like Dragon Age, Oblivion or Witcher and while we agreed that those were great games, we missed many of the elements that you could find in the roleplaying games we played back in the late 80s and early 90s on our C64s and Amigas. Those were very different kinds of games and we missed many of the elements that made those games so exciting.

This was the very first blog post back in 2010, dedicated to a game project called Chaos Chronicles, a cRPG that we had under development at our former game studio, Coreplay, back then. At the time we started that blog, we were unaware of the dark clouds that loomed on the horizon and the tragic destiny that would befall our cherished game project. What happened? After months of friction and conflict with our former publisher, the project was eventually terminated by mid-2013 as a result of various legal uncertainties. Shortly thereafter, our game studio Coreplay, as well as the aforementioned publisher, went bankrupt. Naturally, no one doubted that these events were the final nail in the coffin of the project Chaos Chronicles.

Time passed and the coffin that lay buried deep in the tomb was all but forgotten…
Then, many years later, it so happened that an innocent group of adventurers recovered the ancient treasure and, with a little help from their Gnomish counselors, they unearthed and reclaimed it in one piece, much to everyone’s surprise.

Thus, on that day, Realms Beyond was born and although it is very much influenced by our previous efforts with Chaos Chronicles, Realms Beyond is entirely its own game. The world, the story, the content, the technology, and the visual presentation have evolved and much of it has changed entirely since then.

Nonetheless, let us now continue where we left off 4 years ago…

Classic RPGs remembered

We couldn’t help but wonder if there were others who, like us, remember games such as the Goldbox D&D series by SSI, or even older games, like Phantasie, or the early Ultima and Wizardry titles. Games that put a focus on the world and its locations rather than the fate of a single character whose destiny is told in a cinematic storyline. The kind of RPG in which you created your own party and occasionally had to live with the fact that one of its members didn’t make it back from a dungeon. You had to move on, but every time you were leveling up its replacement you would remember that knight or wizard and the epic battle where they fell. Remember, how that hero was protecting other party members or casting that one critical spell that finally turned the tide of the battle in favor of your party. Characters had meaning!

Realms Beyond became some sort of an idea that we carried around with us for some time. We dug out old game manuals and emulators and discussed our experience with those classic games from a modern point of view. We took notice of other games that gathered some recognition for being old-school, such as Etrian Odyssey or The Dark Spire on the Nintendo DS. Games that appealed to a particular niche audience but at the same time proved that there must be many other gamers around with fond memories of the golden days of computer RPGs.

In some of the upcoming blog posts, called Source of Inspiration, we will take you through a few of the games that inspired us to work on Realms Beyond. These posts will be the perfect background to help you understand some of the elements in our game and where they originated. But it’s not all about us! If you are an old-school RPGs player, like us, feel free to comment and contribute your very own memories of these classic games and how these RPGs have impacted you as a gamer.

Phantasie_Coverart-199x300.png
Pool_of_Radiance_Coverart-193x300.png
Wizardry_VI_-_Bane_of_the_Cosmic_Forge_Coverart-218x300.png
ultima_iv_quest_of_the_avatar_origin_systems_d7-213x300.jpg

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the hell is JarlFrank doing there?

Why, he is a published author and renown illustrator?

41y1qfmsVJL._SX353_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So yeah, I guess he can brew coffee and do the dishes or something.

Wait, he’s been posting here for years without hiding his real name and he can still get a job!? The codex is not living up to its reputation.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Thus, on that day, Realms Beyond was born and although it is very much influenced by our previous efforts with Chaos Chronicles, Realms Beyond is entirely its own game. The world, the story, the content, the technology, and the visual presentation have evolved and much of it has changed entirely since then.

Nonetheless, let us now continue where we left off 4 years ago…
Chaos Chronicles enhanced edition

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wow, kudos to Hobgoblin42. It's inspiring how he never gave up.
In any case, this sounds really fucking great! Consider me hyped.
Also, I really liked the music for the coastal town :)

Do they have a publisher in mind ? I'd hate to see a reiteration of CC's tragedy...
I hope they go on KS or FIG. That is only way I can afford this on day 1 and I would be sad to pirate it instead.

mondblut

Arcane
In before bitcomposer or what'stheirname comes a-knocking demanding their stuff back.

With JarlFrank on board, they need to hire a crackerjack programmer...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

No, I mean in general sense. There's no way one can design thousands distinctive items, it's vey likely going to be a +1% damage vs. +1% to-hit kind of thing. Ditto with spells.

you open a crate and find half a dozen daggers inside

there we go, 6 out of [thousands] already in

Delterius

Arcane

you open a crate and find half a dozen daggers inside

there we go, 6 out of [thousands] already in
Each chipped in a very special way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom