Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EXCLUSIVE: Codex Conductor's Fondness to Button Parade Explained

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
RPGCODEX, TITS THREAD - The current implementation of post feedback at RPG Codex has been a long-standing source of confusion. Dubbed as "Button Parade" by a prominent community patron Haba Knyllarman, the Facebook -inspired like-button functionality has been taken to a new extreme at the Codex forums. Currently sporting 44 different publicly available buttons to express various emotions, such as "Butthurt" and "Deus Vult", the Button Parade has replaced normal communication to many of the forum goers.

Despite the general outrage at the loss of the widely acclaimed "Brofist" functionality, the administration has been adamant in their pursuit of Button-based communication. The motivations of the shadowy RPG Codex management in implementing such feature have been widely debated. Speculations for the conductor's reasoning have ranged from Brofist market manipulation to sheer malice. Today, through the efforts of our investigative journalists, we have finally uncovered the true motivations of the Codex dictatorship.

Rob Laffan wanted nothing more than to help his daughter Sadie communicate her needs. Sadie, who’s on the autism spectrum, is nonverbal and would grow understandably frustrated when she couldn’t tell her parents what she wanted, needed or felt. When she learned to use a picture exchange communication system (PECS) board — a tool that resembles a picture book and allows many nonverbal people to point to what they need — communication became easier. But PECS boards can still present challenges — for one, the person using it has to physically be able to bring the pictures, even if they’re on a tablet, to another person. Also, if in book form, the pictures are easily lost or damaged, especially when a child is using them.

Laffan, a student at the Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT) in Ireland, came up with a solution: “TippyTalk” — a touchscreen communication system that takes a PECS board to a computer, tablet or phone and then transfers the pictures to text messages.

“TippyTalk enabled Sadie to communicate with me even if I wasn’t in the house, even if I was in a different country,” Laffan told Engineers Journal. “When I am in college or when I am away I get texts from her telling me how she is feeling.”

The first screen that pops up when Sadie, now 5, goes to use TippyTalk shows two pictures: one of her dad and one of her mom Emily. After she selects who she’d like to communicate with, she’s offered more than 260 images that range in wants, needs and feelings. When Sadie then touches, for example, a picture of an apple, this text is sent to whichever parent she’s selected: “Hi, I’m hungry, may I have an apple?”

12745798_577312332433187_5353308393479845970_n.jpg

“It was intuitive enough that she knew exactly where she was going. When she saw her pictures, she saw what she wanted,” Laffan told UTV Ireland. “She was able to touch the button and the text was sent out to my phone.”

SOURCE: http://www.heart.co.uk/style/dad-invented-an-app-for-autistic-daughter/

The parallels between the above quotation and the current situation at RPG Codex are increasingly apparent. Whether driven by a true desire to more effectively communicate with their fellow autists or inspired by the potential prize money awarded for such high-tech solutions, one thing is clear - the button parade is yet another experiment in enabling communication for autistic people.

While this is a great leap towards unravelling the mystery, several pieces of the puzzle are still amiss. Has Sam "Taluntain" Hyde completed his gold-plated toilet yet? What is the authenticity of Cleve "DarkUnderlord" Blakemore's mensa membership? And how does "Star Stable" connect to all of this? Stay tuned, the investigation continues.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Even though nobody probably really knows what our troll-in-chief thinks, my best guess is, that his true agenda the long term devaluation of brofists, which have been given give an induly importance by some members in the past. This fits in very well with many similar former stunts like brofist betting, brofist retractions and so on.

interesting.png
The inflation of possible ratings means that the rating of a singular post becomes more important as it can be rated much more accurately, whereas the sheer number of possible ratings ensures that ratings overall become less important, disincentivizing degenerate posting behavior (brofist harvesting) to a certain degree. And thats bredy gud.

The two most common complaints are both nonsense. One is, that it leads to people replying less; thats under the false assumption that in the past every post I am now able to rate would have caused me to reply to it in some form. Meanwhile, if I feel strongly about something, I am of course still able to reply however I please. The second is, that the button parade is a resource hog, to which can be replied, either get a better computer or simply disable buttons.

In the past the parade only stayed for a little while until it managed to crash the site. It seems to work much better now. All in all I think its incline. I hope its here to stay.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The inflation of possible ratings means that the rating of a singular post becomes more important as it can be rated much more accurately, whereas the sheer number of possible ratings ensures that ratings overall become less important

One possible solution - though probably not easy to implement - is to display the three buttons each poster received the most.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
who’s on the autism spectrum, is nonverbal and would grow understandably frustrated when she couldn’t tell her parents what she wanted, needed or felt.

See, I knew the codex moderation was doing it for the benefit of the users.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Even though nobody probably really knows what our troll-in-chief thinks, my best guess is, that his true agenda the long term devaluation of brofists, which have been given give an induly importance by some members in the past. This fits in very well with many similar former stunts like brofist betting, brofist retractions and so on.

interesting.png
The inflation of possible ratings means that the rating of a singular post becomes more important as it can be rated much more accurately, whereas the sheer number of possible ratings ensures that ratings overall become less important, disincentivizing degenerate posting behavior (brofist harvesting) to a certain degree. And thats bredy gud.

The two most common complaints are both nonsense. One is, that it leads to people replying less; thats under the false assumption that in the past every post I am now able to rate would have caused me to reply to it in some form. Meanwhile, if I feel strongly about something, I am of course still able to reply however I please. The second is, that the button parade is a resource hog, to which can be replied, either get a better computer or simply disable buttons.

In the past the parade only stayed for a little while until it managed to crash the site. It seems to work much better now. All in all I think its incline. I hope its here to stay.

But now we have fedora harvesting, cuck harvesting, shit harvesting on top of brofist harvesting.

The simpler explanation is the admins trying to further increase the value of the fabled goldfist by diluting the ubiquity of brofist with other ratings.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Honestly the brofist are worst, it only leads to shitty muh plus one Kodex Kool Klub hivemind tier post, or worst shit post making shitty overbeaten jokes.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Honestly the brofist are worst, it only leads to shitty muh plus one Kodex Kool Klub hivemind tier post, or worst shit post making shitty overbeaten jokes.
retarded

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom