Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Excelsior, Shareware Ultima-like, Retrospective at Hardcore Gaming 101

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Excelsior Phase One: Lysandia; Excelsior Phase Two: Errondor

Hardcore Gaming 101 has put up an enjoyable retrospective article about Excelsior Phase One: Lysandia and Excelsior Phase Two: Errondor, two Ultima-inspired shareware games from the beginning of the 1990s. Have a snippet:

In both Excelsior games, you play the role of a Fixer, a demi-deity who works for the Grand Council of World Watchers. This Council oversees and directs the history of each planet. Of course, it is not a simple task and there are often complications. In Excelsior Phase One, a mysterious evil has arisen in the world of Lysandia and is throwing the land into chaos. You are sent to investigate. Being discrete is a must, so you enter the world disguised as a simple commoner.

Those who have played the early Ultima games or other PC RPGs of the 80s will feel right at home with the gameplay mechanics. When you start the game, you are greeted with the character creation screen. As you may expect, plenty of customization is available. There are a variety of races and classes that change your starting abilities. Your character has only 6 core attributes, divided into primary attributes and secondary attributes. There is an alignment attribute as well, which corresponds to the effectiveness of your spells (each spell has either a good/white, neutral/gray, or evil/black alignment). Perhaps the most interesting aspect is the long list of skills. The screenshot below sums up the character creation very nicely:

excelsior1stats.jpg

[...] Puzzles are a prominent feature. They are simultaneously one of the game's strengths and one of its greatest weaknesses. These puzzles range from using items to finding secret doors to answering riddles to decoding text to other even stranger things. The beauty of the puzzles is that they are subtle enough that solving them is challenging and satisfying. The frustrating part is that several of the puzzles are SO subtle that the average player likely won't be able to finish the game without running to a walkthrough multiple times. To add to that difficulty, it is possible to put yourself in an unwinnable state, though these situations are not as unforgiving as they could be.​

Sounds very intriguing. Interestingly (and uncommonly), the creators of Excelsior are still supporting and selling their games:

The creators of Excelsior continue to be invested in their labors of love, having recently updated both games to be compatible with Windows XP and later. Be sure to drop by excelsior-rpg.com to these give them a try. The initial download is free as uncrippled shareware, and when you register the games, you receive an extensive manual and hint book.​

I believe I know what I'll be playing this weekend.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shareware Ultima clone from the early 90's? Looks like another site is trying to one-up our rediscovery of Ultizurk!

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Already posted this one in the ultizurk thread mind you.One day they will read my posts and see i sometimes link old dusty gems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom