Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Examples of pseudo-tactical top down squad-based shooters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm talking about games like:

Syndicate
synd_ingame_laser_carexplode_hq.gif

Cannon Fodder
Cannon-Fodder.jpg

Basically, top down squad-based games that sit on the border between tactical and plain old action game. Are there any other examples of these?

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Gender Wars, a syndicate clone form the mid 90's. I wonder, if a game with a story about a war between sexes could come out today without causing a massive shitstorm.
genderwarsdos13.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Commandos and Desperados?

Hmmm, those are more puzzle-based, with unique, irreplacable characters, aren't they? It's not exactly the same kind of thing.

EDIT: Still, if you think a game is similar enough to what I described and is interesting enough to mention, feel free to do so!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shadoworlds -- dunno if this is more of an RPG or a shooter though

346509-shadoworlds-atari-st-screenshot-the-starting-locations.png

:love:

(Sorry this is just a starting screenshot; I have my screens on a different laptop)

EDIT: Oh, you mean games with non-unique, replaceable characters? My bad. Shadoworlds is more of a party- than a squad-based game, and more puzzle-based too.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Thanks. Too bad I didn't know about this game in 1993. I liked the concept of Shadowlands, but it was a fantasy themed game, and that was a huge downside for me back then.

BaconAndEggs

Augur
There's Cannon Fodder 3 made by the Russians, but i'm not sure how good/bad/awful/meh it is. And there's also that indie game Pineapple Smash Crew, which is like Cannon Fodder with powerups, innnnnnnnn spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace! It was fun for an hour or two.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Horus Yeah, Fallout Tactics and Silent Storm are definitely not the kind of game I'm thinking of. Those are straight tactical turn-based RPGs, there's nothing action about them.

Absalom

I thought Darwinia was pretty good. Quick search online revealed it's going for at most 10$, so I definitely would recommend it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Nice graphics. Game seems very reminiscent of Commandos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom