Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Hero Saga: Turn-based SRD D&D 5e game with GM mode

Mustawd

Former SCL modder decides to make a better D&D 5e game using the OGL version of 5e. Like SCL, this will have a GM mode.

https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/11622-the-hero-saga-has-hit-social-media-lol/

Per recommendation by a few members here and elsewhere, I've put together a facebook page and twitter account. I'll flood the information here and in one or two of my posts. At that point, I can't promise I'll spend any more time posting updates on this forum.

Truly, I'd like to take one more opportunity to thank you for the support, both on the modding endeavors for SCL, and for the support for putting together my own project! Hope to see some of you in the new channels! :)

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/theherosaga

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheHeroSagaTeam

• Short Description
    The Hero Saga is an isometric RPG being built using WotC's SRD5e rules. Embark on journeys or craft adventures in this collective story-telling experience!
  • Long Description
    The Hero Saga is an isometric RPG built using WotC's SRD5e rules. Embark on a journey or create adventures for other players in this collective story-telling experience!

The Hero Saga will allow players to assume the role of either GM or an Adventurer. As a GM, you will be an author of sagas, teller of tales, creator (or destroyer) of worlds, creating adventures, complete with custom story, characters, items, enemies and more, even in real-time as you guide adventurers through the story.

As an Adventurer, you will control a character of your own creation, and live his or her role through epic sagas, humorous misadventures and more. Just as a GM will create your adventure, so too will you help tell the story as you carve out the role that your own adventurer plays through his numerous journeys.
  • Website
    http://www.theherosaga.com

http://www.theherosaga.com/uploads/Movement.mp4

The video does not look like much, but to be fair this guy (goes by Prodigy on SCL forums) was one of the modders that tried fixing the game and make it more like 5e.

Not sure if turn-based though.

Last edited by a moderator:

hilfazer

Scholar
Why all those 3d perspective games market themselves as isometric? Does it sell?

Mustawd

I think it tends to help a bit. Mostly because it implies that it's party-based, as an isometric view for a single player RPG is not really necessary (FO1/FO2) not withstanding. All the let's plays from DA:I seem to have more of a third person view, which makes sense since it's so action oriented.

Isometric is kind of needed to see the entire party.

Tigranes

Arcane
What is this 'SCL' you speak of? Is it a Beamdog game? Maybe a Herve brainchild?

Infantry

Educated
What is this 'SCL' you speak of? Is it a Beamdog game? Maybe a Herve brainchild?

Sword Coast Legends. PC Gamer stated that it is "A straightforward cliché that feels out of place in the new wave of cRPGs." These are the two publishers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Extremes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Space

"n-Space founders Erick S. Dyke, Dan O’Leary, and Sean Purcell met while working at General Electric Aerospace (GE Aerospace, now part of Lockheed Martin) to create advanced military simulators." ...That's pretty cool.

"The game was directed by Dan Tudge, the president of N-Space and the director of the critically acclaimed Dragon Age: Origins." ...
hmmm.png

Mustawd

https://www.facebook.com/theherosaga

Which would you prefer: we release early versions of assets and video clips, or wait until things are more polished?

Conventional wisdom of the industry seems to be "wait until later, people are turned off by early art and placeholder assets." BUT, my thoughts are, the earlier I can involve you need the more proactive you all get to be in development; the more likely we ate to be able to incorporate some of your ideas worth ours.

Would definitely appreciate your opinions on this!
-T.H.S. Team

I personally prefer every single update. People expect too much from a product starting from scratch.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Nice. I still think Red Hand of Doom or whatever it is called is the most anticipated crpg, but this is great news for D&D fans too.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I personally prefer every single update. People expect too much from a product starting from scratch.
I prefer them to work for a year, and then if they're still working on it at a steady pace and have made good progress, then they can talk. Before that, all they're doing is attention whoring. They know damn well there's a high chance they'll drop it. Anything that's based entirely on enthusiasm is fickle.

I worked on games before and I dropped them, and thankfully I had the good sense of never talking about them prematurely. I'm working on a game now too. If I don't drop it, I'll talk about it in 2 years, the day greenlight goes live. Most likely never, though.

People who talk about very unfinished games are wasting time they could've spent working on the game itself.

Mustawd

Yah, creating the expectation of regular updates does tend to ramp up the pressure on the dev. Which could be good or bad. At least on the codex almost all projects anmounced early fail or are abandoned.

Mustawd

First Character, Equipment, And Immediate Focus

We just uploaded the first W.I.P. skeletal assets into the game! Introducing, the Male Human (which is shown here equipped with a full set of leather armor). I've taken to affectionately referring to him as "The Uncooperative Bastard".

-Bryant
T.H.S. Team

14441044_1773670169552863_4334133713557081218_n.png

14484642_1773670156219531_967228432674576080_n.png

Images look extremely rough, of course. But that will fix itself with iteration. Right now, making the game takes priority.

Hence, My Immediate Focus For The Next Few Weeks

I've dabbled in 3D modelling and asset creation (read, just enough to understand the lingo and most basic of principles), but have never jumped into it with both feet before, but I think it's time to do so! Understandably, Sam was a bit overwhelmed with knowing it was entirely up to him to put these assets together in a relatively short time-frame, and I'd like to be able to assist him with asset creation. Therefore, my next few weeks will be spent almost exclusively in Blender (http://www.blender.org), and taking a few courses to bring myself a bit more up-to-speed so we can tackle this beast together! Not to worry though! Everything I do as part of these courses will, in one way or another, tie-in with The Hero Saga, so every bit of progress made will be worth something!

As always, if you have any comments, questions, concerns, or just want to reach out to us, leave a comment, send an email to admin@theherosaga.com, or through either of our social media accounts (http://www.facebook.com/theherosaga & http://www.twitter.com/theherosagateam)

Also, confirmed with the dev that this will have Turn-based combat with real time exploration. :shittydog:

Mustawd

http://theherosaga.com/1/post/2016/10/new-poll-approach-to-armor-set-vs-piece-by-piece.html

NEW POLL: Approach To Armor (Set Vs. Piece-By-Piece)
10/30/2016

Good evening, folks! (Or early morning, as is the case here) I've got the rough draft of my item table implemented, with the beginnings of our item selections! This more involved task than originally planned [incoming geek-speak] because I decided to take the opportunity to refactor a bit of my code to keep all enums and structs in a single file for ease of access.

Ergo, I didn't make the progress I hoped. However, having gotten this far, I've now got the opportunity to take a poll on how you'd like me to approach armor! Read on for more info!

If you take a look at the item table, I've added items "by set" as opposed to "by piece." The thing is, this is the true 5e approach, per the System Reference Documents. However, it may leave a bit to be desired with character visuals. Here are the pro's and cons as I see it:
Armor By Set
Pros:
  • True to 5e Rules
  • Quicker to implement
  • More traditionally balanced (AC values, combat and game economy)

Cons:
  • Less visual appeal
  • Less character customization (visually)
  • Looting may not feel as rewarding due to lack of armor variety.
Armor By Piece
Pros:
  • More visual appealing
  • More character customization (visually)
  • Variety may make looting more enjoyable to some players.

Cons:
  • Not actually true 5e.
  • Slower to implement
  • Less traditional balance
I'm not trying to imply in any way that armor-by-piece would be game-breaking or destroy balance, just that it could possibly lead to a different balance or "feel" from traditional table-top, which is the primary experience I'm wanting to capture with The Hero Saga.

For instance, a rugged barbarian with Plate Armor on his chest for an enormous AC, but with padded boots or gloves... that could require balance changes to account for:
  • Changing his movement speed, (if, when, and by how much based on how much heavy armor he has on?)
  • Affecting his armor proficiencies (should he have disadvantage over a single piece of non-proficient armor?)
  • How does this affect stealth (if so, should a single heavy armor helm cause disadvantage too, etc.)

Again, to reiterate, I'm completely confident that this would be balanced out, my only worry is that it might not feel quite as PnP-inspired as it would otherwise. So, with that said, I turn to you, community. I want to know what you think. If you have the time, I'd love to get your opinion, and a small (or large) explanation as to why. As a community, I hope we can figure out the preferred approach.

As always, thank you for the continued support, for filling out the poll, and just all-around being awesome.

Poll is basically:

Which Approach to Armor Do You Prefer: *
By Set (where you pick a predefined set of armor to wear)?
By Piece (where you can mix-and-match pieces from various sets of armor)?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Good evening, folks! (Or early morning, as is the case here) I've got the rough draft of my item table implemented, with the beginnings of our item selections! This more involved task than originally planned [incoming geek-speak] because I decided to take the opportunity to refactor a bit of my code to keep all enums and structs in a single file for ease of access.

Ergo, I didn't make the progress I hoped. However, having gotten this far, I've now got the opportunity to take a poll on how you'd like me to approach armor! Read on for more info!

This is incorrect unreal design pattern, items must be in custom data assets, not in data tables. He won't be able to directly reference items in quests, loot, etc.

Mustawd

This is incorrect unreal design pattern, items must be in custom data assets, not in data tables. He won't be able to directly reference items in quests, loot, etc.

FWIW, I think he's using Unity. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
No, it's unreal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom