Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Banner Saga

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
http://www.indiegamemag.com/ex-bioware-devs-announce-the-banner-saga/

bansaga-613x381.png

Arnie Jorgensen, Alex Thomas and John Watson are names you probably won’t recognise, but they have just spent half a decade working as lead developers on Star Wars: The Old Republic – a name you should be familiar with. Let’s get away from that part of their history though, just as they have.

Based in Austin, Texas these three men decided to put together what funds they could scrape up between them and make their own game studio. Consequently, Stoic was formed and its experienced developers were out to make the kind of game they really wanted to play. “We appreciate good art, thoughtful design and engaging story and think there are plenty gamers out there who agree”, it reads on their official website.

Their game, The Banner Saga, is described as a mixture of sorts but an interesting and unique one at that: “role-playing meets turn-based strategy, wrapped into an adventure mini-series about vikings.” The appeal of The Banner Saga is to mature gamers who appreciate strategy, a good story and some lovely animated art; a glimpse of which proves an impressive presentation.

“It will include BioWare-style dialog, exploration of gorgeously painted landscapes, and turn-based strategic combat,” John Watson told us. “The story is compelling and epic, and your choices will dramatically affect the outcome of the story.”

Turn based combat? Actual C&C? Looks like it has potential.

(I also like the screenshot, looks stylized though to be honest, it's a little reminiscent of traditional Japanese art. I could be wrong though, I'm not 1eyedking.)

So, Codex: :incline: or :decline:?

Which is more likely and why?

DISCUSS!

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
“It will include BioWare-style dialog,

It depends on what this means.

Is it wheel style ANGEL/EVEEEEEEEL 3 choice dialogue?

Plus Tortanic isn't exactly the most promising of backgrounds to come from.

It may have brotential though

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I just hope "good art" and "vikings" don't translate into those usual retarded helmets with cow horns...
Although it looks promising so far.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
I just hope "good art" and "vikings" don't translate into those usual retarded helmets with cow horns...
Although it looks promising so far.
even better... they dropped the helmets and the horns come out of their heads now:
web_multiplayer.png

also: orang arms

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Another casual game for a casual audience. I guess we now play the waiting game.

Phelot

Arcane
The appeal of The Banner Saga is to mature gamers

Uh oh...

Wrestler-excited.gif

"Did you just hear what I just heard?

mPl8y.gif

"I most certainly did..."

MATURITY FUCK YEAH

Random

Arcane
Patron
Holy shiste, they're based in the very city I'm living in right now?

Wait, does that mean TOR was also developed in Austin?

EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE!

Random

Arcane
Patron
No... I knew that on some fundamental level. I have a feeling I forgot it on purpose.

The fact that they broke off from TOR before its release and inevitable nosedive speaks well for them, so this could be promising.

Meanwhile, current Bioware employees work on the Bannu Saga.

On a serious note, the combat screen immediately reminded me of Dofus. That's not really a bad thing.

The armored enemies look like they're from Zelda. Kind of clashes with the normal looking soldiers, but the hero looks cartoonish so I dunno.

gromit

Arcane
Zelda? I guess I can see it w/ the big guys. As a whole the characters strike me as "vaguely Bluth-y" and there's an obvious the old-school Disney influence in the landscapes.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That is an interesting use of foreground, but I wonder how it looks in action? A fifth of your screen being blocked by scenery, no matter how strategically it was chosen, could get very annoying after the novelty wears off. In the format of a still image, though, I will admit that it looks good. Not too fond of the character work.

I wonder how the UI looks? It would seem to be a pop up menu. Hopefully it is half way functional instead of having big, friendly buttons which lead you through mazes of other big, friendly buttons as I think an indie might be tempted to do. That, or have no UI.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Might be decent.

Probably won't.

Will give them the benefit of doubt until a playable demo is out.

If it turns out awful I may just have to revive the partially-completed TBS I have lying about in fragments on my HDD, in which you rape & pillage the british isles with bands of angry vikings.

MCA
When I read vikings and saw the Disney-influenced but otherwise reasonably realistic art, I hoped for a moment for a reasonably realistic game in its depiction of vikings and their history but judging from that combat screen, I think it will be just another shitty fantasy crap with ancient evil bullshit with stupidly simplistic combat devoid of depth.

This is what 10+ years of anti-TB policy of mainstream publishers does to the mindset of people: when they somehow decide to go TB, they shoot so low.

DA:O Facebook game sums it up well, I guess.

And a pity, I like the art.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Except for those rather stupid horns I like the art style. It's not the usual 3D and is different from the traditional western CRPGs, and it's thankfully not anime.
The combat screen reminds me of Heroes of Might and Magic. Hopefully combat is a bit more complex than that, though.

visions

Arcane
The horns and bad guys look stupid. Seems more fantasy than mythological/folkloric/historical, which is a shame. And cheesy fantasy at that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom