Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evolve, new shooter from Left 4 Dead devs - now F2P, still dead

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
At least with Heroes of the Storm you get your money's worth!

stitches-beachparty.png

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Someone, somewhere really thinks these basic reskins are worth £4?.

Ever heard the phrase "catching a whale"? If you're not a whale, why does that price bother you? Are you gonna complain that a Lamborghini costs $200K? If you're a whale, then you should have enough money to not care about four euro.

If 2K and Turtle Rock can somehow extract enough money from those trust fund rich kids with these "skins" while releasing new maps for free, then there is nothing wrong with that price.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Terrible analogy. In other games that cater to 'whales' you get more effort in the cosmetics. This is just pure laziness.

Main problem with the DLC scheme is that the base game is crap, no one likes it and everyone says it gets boring after a few hours. If the game was good, or at least mediocre-but-addictive with lots of content to do (Borderlands), people would dismiss overpriced DLC as the usual shit it is. When you put out a game that is outstaying its welcome after the 5 hour mark, it's kind of a joke.

Also Borderlands skin DLC cost only $1, this shit costs $5-7. In terms of price:content ratio this is DLC jewing taken to the second power. Evolve is next step in the evolution of this image.

original.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ Bingo. The maps are bowls. You're dropped in, run around for the longest time and the fight with the monster is over in about two minutes tops. There's no tension. There's no tempo. Geography/environment rarely play a role.

Yeah, I noticed the problem in like 30s of watching on youtube. Everyone's mobility (vertical and horizontal) is through the roof and the levels are open such that the level design is basically meaningless to the gameplay besides being a re-skin. You could have 100 levels and it would probably be no more interesting than 3.

L4D thrived around the survivors needing to battle the terrain as much as the enemies, with every decent VS attack utilizing it in some way and lots of mini-tension moments every time you were at a point of the map where the infected could pull off a potentially powerful attack. Evolve doesn't have shit. It's just spamming abilities against a single health sponge monster. Feels closer to a really shitty DOTA clone than a L4D sequel or an FPS.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Exactly. They put in all these canyons and ridges but... you have a jetpack.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Terrible analogy. In other games that cater to 'whales' you get more effort in the cosmetics. This is just pure laziness.

Just imagine if those skins are any fancier, surely "the people" will accuse them of either "wasting resources on DLCs" or "selling content that should have been included in the game".

They just can't win. Better go work on Boredlands 3 then, whose fans will suck down those DLCs regardless.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yes, because there's no middle ground. You really are a colossal idiot, aren't you?

Tehdagah

Arcane
Yeah, I noticed the problem in like 30s of watching on youtube. Everyone's mobility (vertical and horizontal) is through the roof and the levels are open such that the level design is basically meaningless to the gameplay besides being a re-skin. You could have 100 levels and it would probably be no more interesting than 3.

L4D thrived around the survivors needing to battle the terrain as much as the enemies, with every decent VS attack utilizing it in some way and lots of mini-tension moments every time you were at a point of the map where the infected could pull off a potentially powerful attack. Evolve doesn't have shit. It's just spamming abilities against a single health sponge monster. Feels closer to a really shitty DOTA clone than a L4D sequel or an FPS.
Wouldn't it be unfair if the monster had low HP?

It seems to have a cooldown.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I played the beta. It saw it was a bad game. I didn't read this thread because why bother.
Did anyone play the beta before and think it was not a boring crap game? You don't have to be a genius to notice

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Yes, because there's no middle ground. You really are a colossal idiot, aren't you?

Yeah fuck you too.

Your middle ground is boredlands 2, cuz apparently every dumbfuck and his mom is praising that game's DLCs to high heaven. So enjoy that dumb shit being force fed to you and have some more when they make boredland 3, 4, and 5.

Wouldn't it be unfair if the monster had low HP?

Could easily be balanced otherwise. The problem is that the monster is a huge target and slow enough that there is no real aiming skill involved in hitting them. Rather than feeling like a horror experience where you are frantically trying to keep up with the enemy, it's more like a DOTA where everyone stands around auto-attacking while pushing abilities to kill slightly faster. If the monster acted more like, say, the Fade in Natural Selection (dies in 3 close range shotgun shots but can murder a whole group without being hit), it would be a lot more interesting both as an FPS and as a Predator vs. Prey game.

It seems to have a cooldown.

It constantly recharges. How often do you need to scale 3 mountains sequentially?

Black

Arcane
It does have a cooldown but apparently you can climb even if it's empty.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bottom line: terrain is not an impediment therefore it's nothing other than eyecandy.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder what the point in playing multi when the matches only last a few minutes. It reminds me about how Blizzard destroyed alterac valley in WoW. At first it was this epic battle, could last several days. You fought npcs, cleared out caves, had huge battles with the other faction. Then the ruined it and made it a 10 minute thing, rush the boss and kill. Easy xp and money. But they made the thing totally pointless. Anyway this whole game seems to be "alterac valley" 120 dollar edition. There is just no point at all. No sense of accomplishment, no great struggle to overcome, just cheap ten minute routine call of duty action. Fucking boring.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a console game designed for the console generation. People don't want challenging gameplay or be forced to navigate through jungles/valleys/etc. Just give them a jetpack and let 'em fly around to get to the monster as fast as possible. Pew-pew. Rinse and repeat. Makes for better streams/youtube videos for marketing.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah I know, kinda making me a bit bitter. Of course, still many good games being made (mostly indie) though, but all these kids growing up playing shit games like Evolve will believe that gameplay like that is the epitome of gaming.

Buy Evolve PC Monster Race
The PC Monster Race Edition includes Evolve, Evolve Hunting Season Pass, Fifth Playable Monster, Two Additional Hunters, and Four Monster Skins.

>PC Master Race
>skinpack
>Xbox One edition gets preference anyway

Funny_pics_Facebooks_photo_comment+(11).jpg

"Jimquisition", a popular YouTuber of sorts, did a video on the game's DLC.

He makes good points. Though I suppose they are betting on people giving in and buying everything all at once instead of figuring out which DLC is bullshit and which is interesting because "it's more convenient". Let's see if it'll work.

Last edited:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
It's a console game designed for the console generation. People don't want challenging gameplay or be forced to navigate through jungles/valleys/etc. Just give them a jetpack and let 'em fly around to get to the monster as fast as possible. Pew-pew. Rinse and repeat. Makes for better streams/youtube videos for marketing.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard. Complaining about jetpacks? Really? You'd prefer those military shooters where they glue you to the floor? While we're at it, why not just remove the jump button as well?

The jetpack is there so you can avoid the monster's ground pounce. It's called GROUND pounce ffs. You time your jetpack at the right moment and you can avoid damage.

FFS at least pirate the game before you talk dumb shit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

This is the dumbest thing I've heard.
Given the shit that comes out of your mouth on a daily basis I highly doubt it. Unless you're deaf. My point, which apparently sailed over your vacuous head, is that in a game about hunting a dangerous monster to give people jetpacks trivializes any and all terrain features.

Looking at your post history all you seem to comment on is AAA shit. You might be more at home on Neogaf forums.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
My point, which apparently sailed over your vacuous head, is that in a game about hunting a dangerous monster to give people jetpacks trivializes any and all terrain features.
And your point is dumb. They put jetpacks in the game so the game is more interesting than those military shooters. Then they put terrains in so that you don't jetpack 50 meters into the air and see where the monster is right from the beginning.

Looking at your post history all you seem to comment on is AAA shit. You might be more at home on Neogaf forums.
It's none of your business what and where I post. If you hate AAA games so much, why don't you just dig a hole and put that pumpkin head of yours into it so you don't see those AAA games?

Clearly you just have to pay all the attention to the AAA games and while doing that, hate and whine. Are you mentally ill? Go see a doctor please.

--Actually, you don't need a doctor. Please, keep whining and hating like a tard. It's probably good for your health.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Could easily be balanced otherwise. The problem is that the monster is a huge target and slow enough that there is no real aiming skill involved in hitting them.
He does fast high jumps. Not as slow as you're trying to paint it.

Rather than feeling like a horror experience where you are frantically trying to keep up with the enemy, it's more like a DOTA where everyone stands around auto-attacking while pushing abilities to kill slightly faster.
What? The game has nothing to do with an "horror experience". The human characters are hi-tech dudebros, for god's sake.

If the monster acted more like, say, the Fade in Natural Selection (dies in 3 close range shotgun shots but can murder a whole group without being hit), it would be a lot more interesting both as an FPS and as a Predator vs. Prey game.
If the monster acted like the Fade, matches would be 30 seconds long.

It constantly recharges. How often do you need to scale 3 mountains sequentially?
I don't know, I didn't played it. But based on streams I've watched, without a jetpack humans wouldn't be able to avoid the monster's attacks.

Bottom line: terrain is not an impediment therefore it's nothing other than eyecandy.
(...) My point, which apparently sailed over your vacuous head, is that in a game about hunting a dangerous monster to give people jetpacks trivializes any and all terrain features. (...)
Because the gameplay would be exactly the same with flat levels. There's no combat on it, after all.

Also, half of the game is about hunting other players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom