Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evolve, new shooter from Left 4 Dead devs - now F2P, still dead

The trick here is not to play with a bunch of trolls.
This becomes challenging when you're an adult who has to schedule a game with 3 other friends and you all have to be available at the same time.

The real trick here is to let players disable incoming voice, and not punish them for it. Programmatic solutions are real solutions, while behavioral solutions are wishy-washy hopey-dopey fairytale crap.

There exist people who are neither your friends, nor annoying trolls. Just disconnect and try another group if your current one has retards, unless you are very unlucky you'll find normal people to play with in a couple minutes.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
L4D(2) community is BY FAR the worst of any valve game. Even worse than Dota2's.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
L4D(2) community is BY FAR the worst of any valve game. Even worse than Dota2's.

It is, but only slightly, and I think it naturally makes sense that it would be. Both Dota 2 and L4D2 are team games, but L4D2 is a much more intimate team game than DOTA 2. DOTA 2 is obviously a way more complex game, but you can also, to a certain extent, kind of just spend your time farming in DOTA on your own for long periods and it has a looser structure (higher levels of play, obviously, will demand more communication, but low level pub games not so much). Whereas, in L4D2 Versus, you absolutely have to be next to and constantly working/communicating with your team the entire time. Especially as infected. The infected are such that they are entirely useless on their own and their attacks only work in combination. So given that the game demands players be working directly together at all times, I think that might explain why the community might be more hostile (plus, L4D2 doesn't have any of DOTA's community features like the ability to rate people as "friendly" and such.....which I actually think would lighten the mood in L4D2 somewhat, but I doubt they will add them at this point).

That said, if people are serious about playing L4D2 there's alot they can do to mitigate negative experiences.

The mistake most players make is not playing campaign before they jump into versus. I did nothing but play campaign before bothering with versuses. I got the "beat all the maps on expert" and "beat a map on expert realism" achievements (which took about 60 hours), so I was familiar with the basic strategies employed on each map before moving to versus. You will still get kicked in the early going as you learn the various team strategies to employ in each map (especially in regards to when/where to employ death charges, which is a huge thing in VS), but you pick this up pretty quickly. After about 40 more hours or so of play (i.e. 100 total), I settled into a groove where I was able to have fun with it more often than not. I now have 900+ hours, almost all spent playing pub versus games, and bad experiences are pretty rare for me. The community definitely can be kick happy, but it's easy to avoid that if you know what you're doing.

Although, I also think you have to thrive on conflict resolution to enjoy the game, to a certain degree. Part of the appeal of the game to me has always been the way it forces complete strangers to work together. I think L4D does that more directly and simply than most other MP games I've played. DOTA2 does the same, but its rules are so complex that not everyone knows what the goals should be, whereas L4D2 distills this down to a much simpler form (although I think the strategies employed can stil be complex). So I'm able to enjoy the game as much when my team is working beautifully together as when there might be a weak link who we have to carry or the team is potentially falling apart. I can't really think of many other MP games whose core gameplay mechanics better realize and embody the game's overriding theme--as the whole point of zombie movies has always been strangers being forced to work together to survive. That's what's always attracted me to pubs and keeps me interested in the game even when I'm losing---the fun of having to try to work with people you just met 2 seconds ago and don't know from Adam.

Last edited:

Destroid

Arcane
It sounds quite similar to The Hidden, a pretty fun source mod. I'm quite fond of asymmetric games like that or Zombie Panic.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Screenshots:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/01/27/exclusive-evolve-screen-gallery.aspx

EvolveGI_LightningGun.jpg

Fucking hate the cartoon graphics.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Am I missing some sarcasm? What's cartoonish about that?

Caim

Arcane
Now the monster can hide behind the player's weapon! Exploit the players' HUDs for your own gain! INNOVATION!

But seriously, that thing doesn't really look all that stealthy.

Psquit

Arcane
Meh. I doubt that huge ape like monster is able to sneak around... probably the whole evolve thing is just monster able to change what type of damage they want to make.

Derailing, yes. Arguing, no. In order to achieve that, you'd have to post actual arguments.

Arguments to what? Edgy one liners from people who haven't even played the damn thing? L4D2 Versus is the same as Team Deathmach? I really gotta put energy in debunking THAT? Everyone who knows what TDM is and played L4D2 Versus is aware that those are very different type of game modes. And I still stand by my statement that Versus in L4D2 is co-op. Just because it's two teams co-oping against each other doesn't make it any less of a cooperative experience, not to even mention that it actually makes teamwork way more important than it is in Campaign mode in any difficulty below Expert.

Last edited:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
A game about 4 hunters by the developers of Left 4 Dead? How creative. The whole series is so overrated, just goes to show you what happens when you try to add in "character development" and story in a multiplayer game; out of all the Valve multiplayer games (CS.1.6, TF: Classic, DOD, CSS, DODS, HL2DM, TF2), it's by far the most boring one with the least longevity. As soon as you've played all the campaigns twice, there's nothing left to do and the game becomes incredibly boring, where as you can play those aforementioned games for hundreds/thousands of hours with out ever getting bored. Why is HL2DM so under played when L4D gets a sequel which becomes super popular?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom