Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evolve, new shooter from Left 4 Dead devs - now F2P, still dead

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
RkiIBwi.png

This better be at least decent

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Apparently if you have XCOM: EU, you can play the alpha wihout using any code.

Got it, won one match as a monster, surprisingly, as game runs on at 25 FPS on Low settings for me. Seems like could be cool enough game in the future once it's actually done. Don't see it reaching level of fun in L4D2 Versus though. But we'll see.
By the way I had to use gamepad for menu navigating because it behaved weird for me with kb/m. :lol: Same with gamepad disconnected.

Last edited:
Lots of art assets for a game which has less content than Payday 2, Killing Floor and other games with a similar multiplayer focus. As I said: 15 bucks, at most.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Strategically it's worse than L4D. Wait for a sale or pricing glitch (there might still be some people selling copies for $10).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Christ this game is boring. I spent two matches just running around the map chasing the monster. Not that catching the monster and fighting him was that much better because of how laggy the game felt, or maybe the hitboxes are just all over the place. At least that's a feature that stays faithful to the Monster Hunting genre.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Christ this game is boring. I spent two matches just running around the map chasing the monster.
This is the main problem. At least in L4D there is 'tension' almost every few minutes (especially in versus as the game is intended to be played). In Evolve you just chase the monster around (usually never spotting him) and he's too weak to do anything for over half the match. The actual fight is usually a cluster fuck of ability spam and over far too quickly.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Christ this game is boring. I spent two matches just running around the map chasing the monster.
This is the main problem. At least in L4D there is 'tension' almost every few minutes (especially in versus as the game is intended to be played). In Evolve you just chase the monster around (usually never spotting him) and he's too weak to do anything for over half the match. The actual fight is usually a cluster fuck of ability spam and over far too quickly.

Pretty much. What you said more or less echoes the exact words that me and my friends said about the game.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
So we hear the cries of the plebians who die to the patrician, the monster, me. You could defeat me if you were better, but you are inferior and it is impossible to happen. Just like in every other avenue of reality.

Stonewolf

Augur
Spent 5 hours downloading this and removed after 20 mins. Why can't people do the asymmetric gameplay right? Or does the pleb actually enjoy this kind of thing?

I'd much rather play Hidden, that source mod where the "monster" is invisible and it's sometimes tense as shit + actually some tactical gameplay rather than chaotic jumping around and spamming skills.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I decided to try playing as the Monster this time. After 3 matches of that I can finally say that this game is awful. If the devs wanted to make a Track and Field game then they could've at least made it fun like QWOP.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unfortunately it'll still sell millions of copies. The sparse content/short matches make it perfect for Streamers/YouTubers.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I just tried to play the alpha, but couldn't find it anywhere. Is it already over after just a week or something?

Papa Môlé

Arcane
You didn't miss anything.

Unless you enjoy either :
A) Running around in circles for 10 minutes.
B) Hiding and avoiding conflict for 10 minutes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom