Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evolve, new shooter from Left 4 Dead devs - now F2P, still dead

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Probably not these days, but if L4D(2) has players to this day and Halo and Call of Duty franchises continue to thrive, there's no reason why a fast paced shooter (that is based on one of the most beloved Western developed games of all time and is free to download) with neat guns (blasting opponents with the SPAS-12 double shot, sniping them with the revolver and nailing them to a wall with the crossbow all feel very satisfying) and the motherfucking gravity gun should have an abysmally low playerbase .
The gravity gun makes it stand out quite a lot from other FPS games as you can reflect stuff being thrown at you (like saw blades and fuel barrels), shoot grenades much farther than you could throw 'em and use it for strategically stacking debris in corridors to slow down other players, make yourself a makeshift bunker and so on. The game can get real hectic when you're in a small indoors area with 1-3 other guys and people are throwing grenades and using the gravity gun to shoot some object at each other as you'll constantly have to jump between using the gravity gun defensively and offensively and shooting your opponents with your regular guns.

Dr Tomo

Learned
I saw some of the game play footage during E3 and I am wondering if this title is going to be broken at launch. The Lazarus class or w/e seems pretty op with the insta revive ability and all the classes or at least the medic has a cloak and it seemed pretty easy for the hunters to take turns tanking the creature.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Playing the alpha now (it's only three days long). There's an NDA so I can't take screenshots. Looks pretty. Basically a 'next gen' L4D. Mechanics are pretty basic. Nothing I would play with random people. Currently there's no push-to-talk so you hear all the shitty coughing and anime toons in the background of people's mics.

Last edited:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'd rather they fix L4D2 so "official servers" actually means what it says. The server search is broken to all fuck unless you like fiddling with console commands.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
how long is the average match?
About fifteen to twenty minutes... I think. I've only played about three full games. Last half dozen or so games I've had to quit because the open mic shit makes it unbearable. People watching television, people without headphones and blaring speakers, people mouth breathing... awful. The monster player gets stronger over time and at 'stage 3' he's extremely hard to bring down. At that point he goes to the objective to destroy it (I've only seen one map so far). So, in that sense, it's designed to be short.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, I guess you play two or three rounds in one game, so maybe forty or so minutes? It's really hard to tell since it just recycles the same two maps.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Is the medic that rez's players still over powered? The perception that me and many of the viewers was during Turtle Rocks competition at E3 seemed like it. Came from the fact that the power to rez people had such a low cd on top of all the players abilities to cloak up made it seem easy.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Doesn't seem to be as the monster is fairly durable even at level 2. Ideally they'd attack the medic first. Of course anyone can revive an incapacitated player with a short channel that's fairly easy to do with the support's cloak ability. I'll also add that it's getting fairly boring even after only three or so hours.

Last edited:

Dr Tomo

Learned
Doesn't seem to be as the monster is fairly durable even at level 2. Ideally they'd attack the medic first. Of course anyone can revive an incapacitated player with a short channel that's fairly easy to do with the support's cloak ability. I'll also add that it's getting fairly boring even after only three or so hours.

Well from what I noticed on that competition video, the rez medic was op as his rez ability was up every few minutes and the monsters have a difficult time because the absurd amount of mobility the hunters have. Hell the competitive scene doesn't seem viable because the strategy seems no different then tanking turret like a moba or mmo. How is the map design? Is it actually stable? I really was interested in possibly doing a d1p or sooner, but after seeing the competitive match video at E3 and the mic's issue it already sounds like a 75% off purchase.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The game seems stable enough aside from slightly long loading times. The only two maps that exist now are interesting with various wildlife and plants and stuff but they're still just big bowls with a few cliffs and buildings. The matches I've played seem evenly balanced with the monster winning most of the time. I can't speak for the 'competitive' scene as I'm just looking at it from the average gamer's perspective. It boils down to a L4D tank battle with light RPG aspects that allow you to improve skills and perks a la Killing Floor. I certainly wouldn't D1P this unless you knew a group of people who were going to play. I suspect the community will be just as bad as L4D's.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Got invited to alpha and played 2 matches and stopped. The game seems fun even with the open mic issues, but my experience is ruined because my computer has a AMD 6k series gfx because I was a Jew in my build. Turns out that apparently many people are having issues, as looking through the forums this game eats up a lot ton of VRAM and people with Titans are struggling to get this game run at high end settings at 60 fps with no frame stuttering. A few times I was moving forward but because of the fps lag I fell off a cliff into a water to be raped by some creature.

As for the community them seemed helpful and really nice when I stated that I just got into alpha and kept dying a lot. Then again these are probably going to be the same people that will tear out your throat when you tell them some of the problems you have with the game as they seemed to down play my frustration with the optimization.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, yeah it's day two -- the playerbase is going to be more forgiving. And it's alpha so I would expect optimization to be a bit off. That said, I'm glad there are people who will enjoy it but it's just not really my bag. Maybe one day at 75% off a Russian 4 pack with people I know.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Leaked game play of Evolve and no going to point out this isn't from me as you would see such massive lag/frame issues that it would be unplayable. Not sure how long before a cd gets sent to Dailymotion.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Announced that Evolve™, a new intellectual property for next-gen consoles and PC developed by Turtle Rock Studios, the creators of the cooperative shooter classic, Left 4 Dead, won more than 50 editorial honors at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, including the coveted Game Critics Award top honor for Best of Show. The title is now planned to launch globally on February 10, 2015
*source

So we won't see anything from Turtle Rock until February unless they decide to delay the game again. Guess some of the negative publicity over the optimization that has gotten leaked from alpha and the lack of game play might have caused this.

sser

Arcane
Developer
That sucks, though it's nice that they have enough support to push off for that long, and is probably an indicator that the game will do well enough to make up for it. Most companies would have just shit that thing out, optimized or not, and rolled with it.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Got Evolve Big Alpha Steam-Keys for those suckers of you who didn't receive one yet:

ZYH2R-ZYXQP-TAPYD
ZYH39-5D0GW-MV973
ZYH3K-TTC35-B3K8Y
ZYH53-2E5F7-2EGTD

L7WE2-6C6K8-QTEE0
L7WIK-PF9LD-20NDF
L7WPX-3I60F-CCDKL
L7X6T-ALTYY-5AXMC

First come first serve.

Don Peste

Arcane
More:

RTPDX-AZGJN-WK7TF
RTPEC-80BHA-JIGEZ
RTPEE-F3I8C-9DJJ3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom