Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evolve, new shooter from Left 4 Dead devs - now F2P, still dead

Duraframe300

Arcane
L4D2 was entirely developed in-house at Valve. They also control the franchise, so I don't see why anyone could blame Turtle Rock for that.

It was developed in-house BY the then Turtle Rock team. Just compare the credits.

The DLC were done by the newly formed post-Valve Turtle Rock IIRC, though. And you're right Valve controls it. So, blame assigned isn't helping.

I'm mentioning it here again though.

Left4Dead Turtle Rock ISN'T the same as Evolved Turtle Rock.

It shares members, incliuding its two founders, but I wouldn't automatically expect the same experience as L4D. Mike Booth, original CEO of Turtle Rock and Lead Designer on L4D, also never worked at the new Turtle Rock. He stayed at Valve and has now joined Blizzard as a Game Director.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Hey dude, I read somewhere "Troika" and "Jason Anderson". That's already worthy enough to keep an eye on it alright?

Yuo, I agree.

I have more interest in this than if it was developed by the old Turtle Rock.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Some thoughts

People from the Bloodlines team its got specifically

- Creative Director
- Lead Level Designer
- Lead Scripter
- Programmer
- Concept Artist

Others as well

There are also several double helix guys, a few Obsidian guys and a few from the original Turtle Rock. There's actually one guy that went from Turtle Rock (After Valve) to Obsidian and back to Turtle Rock in 2011.

Come to think of it the *original* Troika has branched out quite a bit

Tim Cain - MMO
Leonard Boyarsky - Diablo III
Jason Anderson - Co-Op Shooter

:troll:
Don't forget:
Brian Mitsoda: indie vaporware

ALERT ALERT Monster Hunter clone.
Kwa clone, so obviously it is Monster Hunter WITH GUNS.

dVmgzS.png

Last edited:
Have you tried playing L4D2 lately? There's a 90% chance you're getting dropped on an "official Valve server" (it will say), which will be nonetheless modded by some 13-year-old cretin to spawn tanks right outside your spawn area.

I'm playing it very often, have over 800 hours in it, and this is utter bullshit. As long as you don't choose "Best Available Dedicated" server option when hosting you don't have to worry about it being modded. Unless that's something that happens exclusively in Campaign mode, which I don't play.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Some thoughts

People from the Bloodlines team its got specifically

- Creative Director
- Lead Level Designer
- Lead Scripter
- Programmer
- Concept Artist

Others as well

There are also several double helix guys, a few Obsidian guys and a few from the original Turtle Rock. There's actually one guy that went from Turtle Rock (After Valve) to Obsidian and back to Turtle Rock in 2011.

Come to think of it the *original* Troika has branched out quite a bit

Tim Cain - MMO
Leonard Boyarsky - Diablo III
Jason Anderson - Co-Op Shooter

:troll:
Don't forget:
Brian Mitsoda: indie vaporware

Specifically referring to the *Troika* itself if it wasn't obvious.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'm playing it very often, have over 800 hours in it, and this is utter bullshit. As long as you don't choose "Best Available Dedicated" server option when hosting you don't have to worry about it being modded. Unless that's something that happens exclusively in Campaign mode, which I don't play.

I only play Campaign mode. And the only way to find unaltered servers is to use the game console. It's pathetic.

That's the first time I'm hearing about this. I guess not enough people give a shit about Campaign mode then, including Valve. That's too bad, good thing I play full version of the game that is Versus.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
That's the first time I'm hearing about this. I guess not enough people give a shit about Campaign mode then, including Valve. That's too bad, good thing I play full version of the game that is Versus.

Campaign mode is where they innovated co-op. I love co-op. Versus is just... you could as well play AvP or some other shit instead. My "versus" shit is Tribes: Ascend. It's all the same in the end.

Campaign mode is where they innovated co-op. I love co-op. Versus is just... you could as well play AvP or some other shit instead.

Wrong. Co-op is even better in Versus. Survivor part requires a lot more brain in Versus because special infected aren't dumb bots anymore and learning to attack together as infected is also a pretty good co-op experience. Teamwork becomes a lot more important in Versus. Campaign is only really challenging on Expert difficulty, with the insane damage you recieve. To me it got old rather quick, nowadays I'm only up for Campaign mode if it's user made one.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
I only played the first L4D for quite some time, almost every week at least a few hours back in the day, but Valve handled that shit poorly and more importantly they lied.
Instead of fixing some of the issues and bugs it was having (much too easy to rush through some maps, hiding in the closet and pushing being the most successful tactic through waves and stuff like that, adding additional content and continuing like they had promised) they instead decided to cash-in and released L4D2 a whole year later, I think they announced it a whole 5-6 months after the first one was released and a whole lot of people were really pissed because they documentably lied through their asses, ended support for the first game for a rushed, worse second part with shittier maps, characters and features and split the community (ignore the histrionics of the narrator, but this pretty much sums up their promises):

It was their biggest PR-fail at that point (and I guess still might be) and there was this whole "boycott Left 4 Dead 2" thing going on, but they turned it all around by buying off the initiators and turning it into positive spin: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2009/09/valve-co-opts-l4d2-boycott-by-giving-leaders-free-trip-to-hq/

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Wrong. Co-op is even better in Versus. Survivor part requires a lot more brain in Versus because special infected aren't dumb bots anymore and learning to attack together as infected is also a pretty good co-op experience. Teamwork becomes a lot more important in Versus. Campaign is only really challenging on Expert difficulty, with the insane damage you recieve. To me it got old rather quick, nowadays I'm only up for Campaign mode if it's user made one.

I have fun playing against a team of live people in Tribes too. Everyone has a variety of loadouts and learning the strategy of attack/chasing/defense is a pretty good experience. Teamwork becomes important.

I just don't call it "co-op", because that's retarded.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So is any other FPS where you play with a human team toward a common goal while another human team tries to stop you.

However, co-op experience is traditionally understood as "a feature in video games that allows players to work together as teammates against one or more AI opponents".

Attempting to blur this definition to support one's agenda in a debate is, for the lack of better word, quite retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom